Got Some More Lightning Shots (Not the truck kind)

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
This storm just came through Abilene so i frantically set up my camera and tripod and snapped away. I came out with about thirty different shots with lightning in it but these are my best of the night. Enjoy.

All shots taken with a Nikon D40 with the 18-55mm lens. I had a very high f number because I had the shutter open for 10 seconds. I also shot in raw format and played with the white balance on a few.

Lightning_001.jpg

Lightning_002.jpg

Lightning_003.jpg

Lightning_004.jpg

Lightning_005.jpg

Here is an older shot but I don't think I posted it so here it is.....

DSC_0400-1.jpg

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
That is sweet as hell! :rockon:

How long of an exposure do you use and what setting on the camera. I have been wanting to try this.

Also, what camera are you shooting with?

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
Wow. Nice shots man! 3rd and 4th are the best.

Thank you

That is sweet as hell! :rockon:

How long of an exposure do you use and what setting on the camera. I have been wanting to try this.

Also, what camera are you shooting with?

Thanks 04sleeper...i shot them with a Nikon D40 with the 18-55 kit lens. It was just a 10 second exposure at f36. I had such a high f number because there were clear skies behind me and I needed a longer exposure. At night I'll usually use between a f8 and f11. The ISO was set at 200 and I shot in raw format. Then I just took a lot of pictures....most with no lightning in them but a few came out.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Did you photoshop those at all? Those pics are CRAZY! :thumbsup:

What does the f number mean exactly? Also, I thought for low light situations you wanted high ISO? You said you used 200 though, which is low. Just curious as to why you did that, because it sure turned out great!

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Low ISO for the long exposure, I think....Nice shots, I wish my storm would have cooperated with me but it didn't want to share its lightning bolts :nonono:

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
Did you photoshop those at all? Those pics are CRAZY! :thumbsup:

What does the f number mean exactly? Also, I thought for low light situations you wanted high ISO? You said you used 200 though, which is low. Just curious as to why you did that, because it sure turned out great!

The only thing i changed in photoshop is the white balance. I shot in raw so it was easy to change.

The f number relates to aperture. Its a number representation of how much light is being let into the camera. The higher the f number the less light is being let into the camera (I hope that made sense). It will also determine depth of field but thats getting into more complex stuff.

As for the ISO I used a low number because I had the shutter open for a long time. A higher ISO will generally introduce more noise into the picture. When it comes to indoor and low light photography ISO can be extremely helpful in getting the shot you want. ISO is normally the last thing Ill adjust. I will change the aperture and shutter speed before I mess with ISO.

Low ISO for the long exposure, I think....Nice shots, I wish my storm would have cooperated with me but it didn't want to share its lightning bolts :nonono:

What she said:-D

Thanks for all the compliments

Last edited:

cj3113

King of Controversy
Established Member
Those look awesome man. Definitely wish I had the time to get into some photography stuff.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Thanks 04sleeper...i shot them with a Nikon D40 with the 18-55 kit lens. It was just a 10 second exposure at f36. I had such a high f number because there were clear skies behind me and I needed a longer exposure. At night I'll usually use between a f8 and f11. The ISO was set at 200 and I shot in raw format. Then I just took a lot of pictures....most with no lightning in them but a few came out.
Thanks. I'll have to give that a try sometime. :beer:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
The only thing i changed in photoshop is the white balance. I shot in raw so it was easy to change.

The f number relates to aperture. Its a number representation of how much light is being let into the camera. The higher the f number the less light is being let into the camera (I hope that made sense). It will also determine depth of field but thats getting into more complex stuff.

As for the ISO I used a low number because I had the shutter open for a long time. A higher ISO will generally introduce more noise into the picture. When it comes to indoor and low light photography ISO can be extremely helpful in getting the shot you want. ISO is normally the last thing Ill adjust. I will change the aperture and shutter speed before I mess with ISO.

What she said:-D

Thanks for all the compliments

Thanks! :burnout:

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
Thanks a lot everybody....when I get some more shots ill be sure and post them up. Shouldn't be too long considering Texas weather....lol

Users who are viewing this thread