Got some car trouble...need help

Ante_Up

Established Member
Got some car trouble...FIXED...kind of wierd

Hey guys, I was just driving and all of a sudden noticed my car running kind of rough, like it had a miss maybe. When I came to an idle, every so often it would give a very small backfire, kind of muffled sounding, and then run rough when I took off again. I'm about to check the plugs and make sure none of the coils came off the plugs, if that's possible. Any ideas on what it might be? thanks

Last edited:

Ante_Up

Established Member
still in need of assistance....checked plugs and coils, those checked out. Surely a fellow member has experienced this problem or has some things I can check out

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Hmmmm .... How about your Mass Air? Everything alright there?

Crowley

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
ZERO MODS IN SIG....

This car is bone stock??? :shrug:
Miles on car...
More info will help in terms of a remote internet diag... these guys are good but you gotta help... :beer:

Last edited:

Ante_Up

Established Member
Sorry.....It's got 12,500 miles on it. The mods are a 2.8 pulley, full exhaust...BBK LT's, BBK OR-X pipe, Borla Stingers w/ tune by Amazon. Nothing added recently to cause the problem, it just appeared while driving normal. I don't know about the MAF, it hasn't been messed with and is plugged in, beyond that....i don't know. thanks

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Get the codes pulled... we do have coil failures from time to time...
That could produce the symptom you are describing...

If no codes ...
Get a compression test and/or leak down...

You would not be the first pullied Cobra to have a "hurt" cylinder(Toasted piston or burned exhaust valve).... more often than not.... in the left bank.

I certainly hope it is just a coil or a bad spark plug...--> check for looseness on all plugs!!! only 4 threads hold them in!

Last edited:

BLK04

Established Member
Try cleaning the maf sensor. Sometimes airfilter oil kind of cloggs them up. Have you noticed a strong smell of gas in the engine bay or inside the car?

Ante_Up

Established Member
Actually, yesterday when I was checking things....I remember thinking that it smelled "richer" but it wasn't straight gas...it was more of an exhaust fume smell stronger than normal.....Jimmy I'll try your suggestions....how do you clean the MAF, I've never done it......thanks

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Symptom is usually poor idle quality or stalling
As opposed to miss under light load...

Oil from the air cleaner will get on the MAF sensor wire and affect air/fuel ...
Remove air cleaner... spray cleaner directly on MAF sensor wire...
Reassemble...

What I use CLICK ME

:thumbsup:

WDW MKR

Established Member
If the plugs and coils checked out, then clean the MAF sensor and check the FRPS. I'd almost bet it is one of those.

Ante_Up

Established Member
Is there any way to check the FRPS other than pulling vacuum line to check for fuel? I'll clean the MAF tonight, and throw in a new set of plugs just to be sure...thanks

WDW MKR

Established Member
Just pull the vacuum line and check. Also, smell your dipstick for a strong fuel odor. A faint smell is normal, especially with synthetic. Replace it if you have any doubt.

Ante_Up

Established Member
Okay, cleaned the MAF....getting ready to check plugs again. It idles normal now(actually started idling better without touching anything), but it stumbles while accelerating mostly around 2-3K....checked the FRPS, no fuel in vacuum line and my oil doesn't seem to smell like gas, haven't been able to have a compression check done though. Does this scenario bring up any additional potential problems? thanks

Ante_Up

Established Member
fixed...ended up just putting in a new set of TR6's gapped at .035, the only wierd thing was that there was some moisture in the back 2 plugs holes, don't know if that caused my problem or not....oh well, it's fixed

Ante_Up

Established Member
As far as I could tell there was just some moisture on the plug wire boot, and a little "standing" water at the bottom that I soaked up with a rag....just a tiny bit though

chrisweekspc

Established Member
Ante_Up said:
As far as I could tell there was just some moisture on the plug wire boot, and a little "standing" water at the bottom that I soaked up with a rag....just a tiny bit though

Same problem I found when I was changine my plugs. The very back plug had water in it. Had to soak it up with a rag, etc., before pulling the old plug and putting a new one in. When you clean your engine bay, do you use a high pressure rinse? If so, be careful..that could definitely cause the water buildup there..

- Chris

Users who are viewing this thread