Got rear ended in my 03

MrSwa

Established Member
Just as the title implies, I was rear ended a little over a week ago. I was sitting still on I65-S at the ramp for 264-E (this gets backed up some mornings). I looked in my rear view just in time to see a silver grand am sliding into our lane from the next one over. At this point I stopped watching a looked for a way to dart into the emergency lane. Alas, I had not left enough room between me and the person in front of me to get over. The grand am struck a gold van 2 cars behind me. This pushed van forward into the side a white altima that was right behind me. The grand am then spun around from the impact with the van and stuck the back of the altima. Both the van and the altima struck me. This pushed me into the car infront of me, but just barely. Thank God that by the time they struck me they weren't going very fast. I haven't haven't had any pain since then, so I assume I'm ok.

I ended up with a van in the passenger rear quater panel, and an altima almost underneath my rear bumper. My front bumper was quite spidered due to the impact with the car in front of me.

I got out of my car, and handled it better than I expected. The party driving the grand am was hysterical. Running around all crazy. I has to go turn the vehicle off as it was still running (coolant leaking everywhere). I didn't want to take a chance of something worse happening.

But wait, it gets better. I wait a couple of days for the police report. I finally get it, and a) the description of the accident is wrong (only said one car made contact with me) and b) the woman who caused the accident has canceled insurance. I spoke with my insurance the day of the accident, and they told me that I didn't need to file it with them because it would then be a claim against me. I spoke with them again after I had the police report and they said I didn't really have a choice. I had to file with them or pay for it out of pocket.

So moral of the story is, if you live in kentucky and some hits you without insurance, you pay for it. They get a fine and possible some jail time (more than likely probation), but you pay for everything. And get this sports fans, even with uninsured motorist coverage, you still have to pay the deductible. It only covers medical bills.

Now I've got to take my car to a body shop (still sitting in my garage) and work the insurance monster to get paid.

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

P.S. - I spoke with the police officer who wrote the report and he stated that he would not be changing the report as the party responsible for the accident didn't have insurance so it didn't matter.

04SVTMystic

Powered By Cyberdyne
Established Member
These pics make me sick! So sorry. What a shock the scum bag that caused all of this has no insurance. What a sad irony that the cop was not helpful to you despite the sticker below your licence plate.

YoungJim

Established Member
Sorry man. Mine got hit too, but it wasn't nearly the paperwork mess. Why not sue the driver for all the costs? This was entirely her fault.

Jim

DRAGUL

Established Member
Sorry but at least you did not get hurt. I think you might be able to go after the two vehicle's insurance that hit you. Even though the grand am caused the accident that person did not hit you the other two did. They should be paying for the damage. Then those insurance companies would have to seek payment from the grand am owner. I would consult a lawyer's advice before you commit to using you're own insurance.

Last edited:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
So sorry to see this. This sucks!

The Grandam owner might have been uninsured but I think in a chain reaction crash your car gets fixed by who hit you. That would be the van in this case.

Blueline

Established Member
Damn dude, sorry to hear this. Pics make me upset...

On another note, the Bit#h rear ends the car that slams into you, then gets out hysterical screaming and running around, but needs to be taken out of her car with a neck brace?

Glad you or anyone else was not hurt..

MrSwa

Established Member
Kentucky is a no fault state. It is my understanding that this means this is the driver who initiated the accident is at fault.

TVSCobra

Established Member
uninsured motorist should be shot on site.
sorry about your car man,that kind of thing really pisses me off. People who don't care about others but themselves. No common courtesy these days.

Good luck with the repairs man. I was rearended by some illegal mexicans 3 years ago. No insurance, no DL, nothing, I though the cop that showed up was going to beat the shit out of them. However they were arressted except for one. The cops just let him walk away down the highway. A few months later I saw the same guy pushing his car down highway 17. Just smiled and give him a "thumbs up" as I drove by.

03COBRA-88

Established Member
That just sucks. Sorry, but the person driving the grand am should be beaten.

old ford guy

Established Member
I feel your pain !!!

The Law and Insurance is a joke in Oklahoma !

Marvin ( "I be stayin on Stonewall Rd" ) had an out of state DL and of course no insurance. He rear ended Juanita,(a mexican with the same insurance company as me ) who smacked my driver side rear quarter and pushed me into the truck ahead.

The truck guy asked if I was ok and split in a hurry ! Cop sent Marvin on his way to his next screw up and Juanita's honda got towed off .

I have full coverage but because Juanita and I had same ins. company there is some fine print clause in my policy that gives them the ability to just pay what they want to and I had to foot the last $1700.00 of my repairs !

Its a fine system for someone here in the not so melting pot !!

Hope you get things fixed with no more drama !!

wudy

Established Member
Can you sue the S.O.B for the damage they caused? I'd say thats about 3-5k in damage.

MrSwa

Established Member
Can you sue the S.O.B for the damage they caused? I'd say thats about 3-5k in damage.

This is something I have considered, but I really feel like this should be the insurance company's job. When I called them the 1st time, they should have started the process regardless. Once they learned that the driver had no insurance, they should have contacted me and explained the situation, then worried about filing suit against the other driver. I feel like I pay them quite a bit of money every 6 months to deal with this kind of stuff. Maybe I have the wrong expectation about what their job is/isn't.

Quagmire

Established Member
Sorry bud i hope you get it all worked out.

For the police who filed the report wrong is complete utter b.s every detail matters if you go to court or someone was injured. It all looks like KY is a pos state when it comes to insurance, and police that care about accidents. I think partially cus they have this fault clause that they just don't care anymore, pigs.

Lawman

Established Member
Damn. You have the best color. At least yours can be fixed. I lost my '03 MG vert on August 29, 2005, during Katrina. My car was under 11 feet of water.

Users who are viewing this thread