Got Nitto 305/35/20 for the rears, Discount tire is saying it is to wide for the rim

smokin03

Established Member
Got the 305/35/20 555 nittos on the rear and discount tire called me back and said that those tires are to wide for the 9 1/2 rims on the rear. They already installed them, and the manager called me back apologizing for not catching it sooner. I see on here, that many people are running that tire, what's the problem with it? They are now offering a more expensive, but narrower nitto to swap out, for no additional cost. Need help on this!

Live Faster

Need for SPEED!!!
Established Member
I ran them on stock wheels and no issues here. There's a bit of a bulge but nothing tremendous to bother me. There just offering you professional opinion. Many of us are running that size on stock wheels.

smokin03

Established Member
They are offering the NT01 for the same price. It is a more expensive tire, but not as good in the rain. Not that I am planning on driving in the rain, but just in case.

Speedboosted

Established Member
The NT01 and NT555 are quite different. I'm pretty sure the 01 is a track designed tire, I'd stick with the 555 since that is what you originally picked out. They'll be fine on a 9.5

Live Faster

Need for SPEED!!!
Established Member
I'd say do what your most comfortable with. I'm running NT05r's now,bigger tire but have wider wheels now. Honestly haven't been in the rain with them but I've heard all the horror stories lol

paluka21

Established Member
NT555R or NT555? Plenty of people run the 305/35/20 NT555R or a 315/35/20 NT05R on their stock 9.5" rims without issue, with the exception of a minor sidewall bulge. I would say that he is calling you because Nitto recommends a 10" wide rim for the 305 tire, however, these tires run narrow.

Draiter

Established Member
I run the 315/35/20 NT05 on my rears and they are perfect. The rim is actually a 10.5 " rim.... the bead seat is not included in the calculation.... They will be perfectly fine for you.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
They are trying to cover their ass. If something were to happen (tire blow out) they could be liable for installing a tire on a rim of a non approved width. Haven't heard of anyone having problems with that size on our rims yet. Also I have heard that the nt01 is a very noisy tire.

Last edited:

smokin03

Established Member
I knew if there were issues , so many people would not be running them on the stock rims. I did not read of any issues, but the guy did a good job of making me nervous about it. I think I will stick with them.

03reptile

Established Member
I knew if there were issues , so many people would not be running them on the stock rims. I did not read of any issues, but the guy did a good job of making me nervous about it. I think I will stick with them.

Look, this is real simple. These tire manufacturers produce and test these tires. They give you specifications on what tire will SAFELY fit on what size rims. Do you think they just pull these figures out of a hat? They give you the recommendations for tire sizes and rim sizes for your personal safety and so their tire will perform as designed. If you step outside their recommendations you are putting yourself at risk. There is a reason why they limit tire size to rim size; it is because it is dangerous to go outside of their recommendations. Anyone who tells you differently is giving you bad advise and you should disregard it. Your tire installer is looking out for your safety. You should thank him and follow his recommendation for the tire that is suitable for your rim width.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Look, this is real simple. These tire manufacturers produce and test these tires. They give you specifications on what tire will SAFELY fit on what size rims. Do you think they just pull these figures out of a hat? They give you the recommendations for tire sizes and rim sizes for your personal safety and so their tire will perform as designed. If you step outside their recommendations you are putting yourself at risk. There is a reason why they limit tire size to rim size; it is because it is dangerous to go outside of their recommendations. Anyone who tells you differently is giving you bad advise and you should disregard it. Your tire installer is looking out for your safety. You should thank him and follow his recommendation for the tire that is suitable for your rim width.

Thanks mom, I won't speed either.
-J

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
I run 305/35-20 mickey Thompson and the nitto nt05R in the same size 305/35-20 on the stock 9.5 rim.

EITHER TIRE WILL HANDLE LIKE A DRAG RADIAL and feel like you're driving on flats. which stinks if you like handling.
Good is, TRACTION. You can't really beat these tires for that.

the 555 is a better street tire but less traction and they'd probably use a 285/35-20 or something around that size. NT01 I have never used.

Draiter

Established Member

I bet you shift your car according to manufacturers recommendations, right? Check all the stuff on the maintenance schedule when you're supposed to, right?

The rims are an inch wider than described because the bead seat is not included in the total....rear rims are 10.5 inches... Ffs

03reptile

Established Member
You guys do what you want. I've seen enough deaths over the years to convince me that engineers know more than I, and they have my best interests in heart concerning tire/rim size recommendations. There's a difference between pushing the envelope and being fool-hardy. Rationalization is not in my vocabulary when it comes to the safety of myself, my family, friends, and other drivers. Make light of my caution if you feel compelled to. I'm more concerned about the original poster's safety then a few millimeters of tire width.

Last edited:

Breitling

Established Member
Per Nitto's website, the approved rim for the NT555R 305/35/R20 is from 10.0" to 12.0". Our rims are listed as 9.5" rims...not sure about the 10.5" spec that Draiter described above regarding the bead seat. Anyone have any more info on this?

Users who are viewing this thread