got new tune today, numbers much lower than expected??

danny04mystic

svt and ford enthusiast
Established Member
first off i think my tuner is pretty good and i know for a fact he has turned out a lot of fast sh*t from his shop! hes pretty reputable with mod motors and mustangs in general. he did the first tune on my new motor, (street tune only/very mild for safety as we couldnt get on the dyno at the time) and ive finally made it back for fine tweaking today since ive added more mods. (in sig).

car ran great before and does now, however it made more with same blower on my old motor which was stock! granted all motors are not created equal, and i was getting some belt slip, however, i expected closer to the 550 mark than not to even break it!

numbers were 482/517 on a (dynojet at that) @18degrees and 17psi (belt slip). he said at 20degrees it didnt like it and was bleeding off boost to only making 15 psi max. now i know belt slip isnt gonna cause a whole lot of loss, but man this blower has made over 500 on two previous motors with less mods and my boy swears its in the tune.

thoughts......

danny04mystic

svt and ford enthusiast
Established Member
better, going to verify again but ive talked to a couple other tuners who said that seems low for sure. dont get me wrong, im not trying to bash my tuner, hes been good to me but something is amiss somewhere im just trying to get to the bottom of it.

Neverbdonegt

Established Member
If the a/f is what he says it is and it actually has the amount of timing he said it does then its prob not him.

danny04mystic

svt and ford enthusiast
Established Member
my wideband looks great and as stated the car runs really well, feels strong etc...i just think there is more in it especially since it made about 40 more with less mods on the old motor. there are plenty others with less that make more as well and feel like my setup is pretty common. there are a lot out there with virtually my setup making deep into the 500's. right now im just trying to figure out if there is something missing on my end or thing to look for but i think i have been pretty thorough

2002BLGT

Established Member
"two previous motors with less mods and my boy swears its in the tune"

Sounds like you should leave well enough alone and tell your boy to quit giving you bad advice , before you are going on motor #3

danny04mystic

svt and ford enthusiast
Established Member
"two previous motors with less mods and my boy swears its in the tune"

Sounds like you should leave well enough alone and tell your boy to quit giving you bad advice , before you are going on motor #3
clearly under 500 isn't "well enough" or i wouldn't even be posting! with the mods i have, its an easy recipe for mid 500's safely, either on the low or high side of 550 granted every motor is slightly more or less tolerant than another. its been done many many times before and the fact that my last build was virtually stock and i now have all the supporting mods to make at least that or more considering more mods, and safely at that but to lose about 40whp is not sitting easy with me right now, and my boy knows his shit which is why i trust him and his advice is anything but bad, hes been doing this longer than most i know and has some serious power in several cars. i think he is more than qualified......what are your credentials???
if you know anything about tuning on these cars you would already know that 18 is kinda low on timing and even with that it should make more than it did

Last edited:

2002BLGT

Established Member
clearly under 500 isn't "well enough" or i wouldn't even be posting! with the mods i have, its an easy recipe for mid 500's safely, either on the low or high side of 550 granted every motor is slightly more or less tolerant than another. its been done many many times before and the fact that my last build was virtually stock and i now have all the supporting mods to make at least that or more considering more mods, and safely at that but to lose about 40whp is not sitting easy with me right now, and my boy knows his shit which is why i trust him and his advice is anything but bad, hes been doing this longer than most i know and has some serious power in several cars. i think he is more than qualified......what are your credentials???
if you know anything about tuning on these cars you would already know that 18 is kinda low on timing and even with that it should make more than it did

the belt slip alone could be costing you 100HP , 18-19 is fine for street driven car , I just tuned a KB car that made 554RWHP on 22 degrees on the 93 we have around here, pulled back to 19 and car went 585 , so tell me why you need 23 degrees of timing in it , are you trying to blow it up ? Also were the #s SAE or STD corrected , that alone could be 30 HP difference in #s the dyno shows you alone

Last edited:

danny04mystic

svt and ford enthusiast
Established Member
the belt slip alone could be costing you 100HP , 18-19 is fine for street driven car , I just tuned a KB car that made 554RWHP on 22 degrees on the 93 we have around here, pulled back to 19 and car went 585 , so tell me why you need 23 degrees of timing in it , are you trying to blow it up ? Also were the #s SAE or STD corrected , that alone could be 30 HP difference in #s the dyno shows you alone
i understand that less timing can be more effective but you cant really compare twin screw numbers to eaton numbers, its a totally different animal. i just feel that 18 is a little low for my setup and most tuners i know run around 21-22 for solid street tune with very similar mods that i have. everything on the motor checks out, compression is good, oil pressure etc...we went over everything and my new gatorback came in and is on, belt slip is gone. the numbers are from a dynojet, corrected. which would be a lil lower granted.

ps. is this willie??

Last edited:

2002BLGT

Established Member
Yes this is Willie , all I am trying to say is not to get caught up in what the dyno#s are , now that the belt slip is fixed take it back and spin it up as is , chances are it will be closer than what you think to what you want , also ask or look at the dyno graph in the top right to see if its STD or SAE corrected , the SAE #s will be lower

danny04mystic

svt and ford enthusiast
Established Member
dude you tuned my white 94 a couple years back!, i hooked you up with cobra lol. i hear ya and you know im pretty thorough when it comes to my rides. if you were closer i would have been had you tune it lol! maybe i'll make the ride and you can do it anyway if ya wanna work with me ha ha. i have xcal didnt do the quarterhorse route this time. and also if im losing that much with the slip, wouldnt that throw off the tune top end now that its fixed? i was just gonna take it somewhere else anyway and get it retuned, plus i just added a ported bbk twin 65 to the mix, and sold the ported stocker. im also thi king of throwing on my 8# lower and going with a bigger upper pulley but idk if i will gotta research what a good combo would be for that lower, just wanna make sure belt slip isnt gonna be an issue in the future and think with my cooling mods the lil eaton can handle it:)

Last edited:

blown302stng

Established Member
pretty aggressive pulley setup...What are the IAT temps? and are you using an ice tank?

danny04mystic

svt and ford enthusiast
Established Member
no ice box, just a huge 2 core 2 row heat exchanger with some coolant additive. the other day i was only seeing between 95-120 during normal cruise. doing pulls it gets into the 140 range. this is in about 60 degree ambient though as its rather chilly. funny thing is durring light to mild acceleration it gets down to the high 80's. it cools down significantly with some chilly air coming in. im gonna get another kc though before summer time hits so i should be more than fine on temps. this he works very well that i currently have. plus i have a new 4 row mishimoto and 160 stat, runs well below normal and just hot enough for heat lol. takes about 20 min of normal driving in the col to even get heat though

98turbo

Established Member
We're pretty close in our mods. I have stock x-pipe, stock tb and plenum and I made 465/440 on 16psi.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I haven't heard of anyone making 550 RWHP with a stage 4 steggy port. maybe low 500's?

Interested to see what others say.

danny04mystic

svt and ford enthusiast
Established Member
lots of people break 500 with stage 4's all the time. i did on a stock motor with only mods being: 2.76 upper, intake, exhaust, mafia, and tune. it was low 500's. i have x-pipe with high flows by the way.
my only point of argument is that now i have fuel mods to support more aggressive tuning, as well as additional mods, such as headers (granted they are shorties but better than stock), 4# lower, intake cams with minor head work, and now im running a ported stock plenum and ported bbk twin 65 (had ported stock tb on for tune).
i lost about 40 whp although torque did go up about 25. im gonna do a retune at another tuner and see what happens. will update afterwards.

also after driving the car for a couple weeks i still have small surging idle issue (was worse with ported stock t/b) and i get a nasty hiccup durring pulls when i let off and go to shift. never had that problem before and it feels like its pretty violent on the drivetrain. just overall not very pleased with the car at this point. im afraid to do ny hard pulls even though wide band looks ok (i think 10.8-9 is a tad fat though)

itSSlow98

Established Member
Leaned out to 11.5 it'll make over 500 and be just as safe. Fix the belt slip and pull some fuel out and I bet it picks up a good bit.

danny04mystic

svt and ford enthusiast
Established Member
already got the belt slip issue resolved. i feel like he was afraid to tune aggressively now for some reason and its not like i have a crazy off the wall setup its a pretty straight forward tune and theres a couple things that should be done differently. and a lil leaner and a few more degrees isnt really being aggressive on these cars.....they are pretty stout and i think it will be safe at that point as well. but i aggree 10's on afr is just a lil too conservative i think

svtshadow

Banned
Sorry but you will not hit 550rwhp with your combo especially with the HEATON. Moreover, you set up is no holding 17psi of boost to the end, so something is amiss somewhere. Dyno numbers are just that, take it to the track and see what it does.

I dont see anything in you mods that demands the 550rwhp you are asking for, let alone 515rwhp.

Last edited:

svtshadow

Banned
no ice box, just a huge 2 core 2 row heat exchanger with some coolant additive. the other day i was only seeing between 95-120 during normal cruise. doing pulls it gets into the 140 range. this is in about 60 degree ambient though as its rather chilly. funny thing is durring light to mild acceleration it gets down to the high 80's. it cools down significantly with some chilly air coming in. im gonna get another kc though before summer time hits so i should be more than fine on temps. this he works very well that i currently have. plus i have a new 4 row mishimoto and 160 stat, runs well below normal and just hot enough for heat lol. takes about 20 min of normal driving in the col to even get heat though

95-120 degrees during winter is too high during in my opinion. We live in neighboring states.

Just to compare, my car with a 2.93/4lb after 3 full Wot pulls, the AIT2s are at 115 at most, the most i have seen. When cruising it ranges between 82 and 88 degress.

Users who are viewing this thread