Got my T-56 magnum installed today..

jojobee

Established Member
If you are getting a clunk noise between shifts that is a good indication that either your clutch is dragging or your trans is out of alignment. Thats exactly what my car was doing - I had the Tremec guys drive it and that was their diagnosis.

My car felt a bit slower as well - the gear ratios aren't the same as the factory trans so that has a lot to do with it. Except for the durability, I really liked the Getrag trans for shift quality and the ratios.

What does that mean exactly when you say the clutch is dragging ?

Mine is also doing a clunk from 1 to 2 especially when shifted at low rpm.

How do you verify trans alignment and clutch dragging ?

There are no really good shop around here so must have as much info as possible to educate them..

The shop that did my install did a poor job so wont be returning there.

DrTriton

Established Member
What does that mean exactly when you say the clutch is dragging ?

Mine is also doing a clunk from 1 to 2 especially when shifted at low rpm.

How do you verify trans alignment and clutch dragging ?

There are no really good shop around here so must have as much info as possible to educate them..

The shop that did my install did a poor job so wont be returning there.

When it drags it doesnt fully disengage. First thing to try is to vacuum bleed the master cylinder with a hand held pump i.e. Mighty vac. There may be some air still trapped in your system.

If you are absolutely sure the hydraulic system is bled then I would call McLeod and see what they say. My solution was to remove the RXT clutch because I personally didnt like the clutch.

As for the trans alignment, you need to remove the trans, bellhousing and pressure plate. Reinstall the bellhousing, place a mag base dial indicator on the flywheel so it protrudes through the bellhousing, remove the front bearing plate from your trans making sure you keep track of the shims, remove the outer bearing race from the plate, then install the front plate onto the bellhousing. Then you use a small dial indicator to indicate off the bearing pocket while you rotate the crankshaft
and see how far out it is. My plate was sloppy because the alignment holes in my bell were too big. There are a couple of ways to fix it - I believe someone may sell offset locators, or you can have the holes in the bell machined larger then have locators pressed in. I did mine the backyard way - die grinder and JB Weld. Got it within .003 inches after a few applications and some careful drilling and grinding.

jojobee

Established Member
When it drags it doesnt fully disengage. First thing to try is to vacuum bleed the master cylinder with a hand held pump i.e. Mighty vac. There may be some air still trapped in your system.

If you are absolutely sure the hydraulic system is bled then I would call McLeod and see what they say. My solution was to remove the RXT clutch because I personally didnt like the clutch.

As for the trans alignment, you need to remove the trans, bellhousing and pressure plate. Reinstall the bellhousing, place a mag base dial indicator on the flywheel so it protrudes through the bellhousing, remove the front bearing plate from your trans making sure you keep track of the shims, remove the outer bearing race from the plate, then install the front plate onto the bellhousing. Then you use a small dial indicator to indicate off the bearing pocket while you rotate the crankshaft
and see how far out it is. My plate was sloppy because the alignment holes in my bell were too big. There are a couple of ways to fix it - I believe someone may sell offset locators, or you can have the holes in the bell machined larger then have locators pressed in. I did mine the backyard way - die grinder and JB Weld. Got it within .003 inches after a few applications and some careful drilling and grinding.

Thanks a lot.

I already replaced my RXT with a Spec 2+ hybrid, the RXT was too much for me and couldnt stand the twin disk rattle.

The Spec doesnt rattle while driving and has great engagement but has chatter at idle and when parked in a slope..Its hard to get the right clutch combo !

So basically although my trans and clutch were reinstalled without issues it still could be misaligned and causing my shifting issues with my Tremec.

I understand that it need to be measured and obviously might be off even if it was not apparent when the installation was done.

If only all shops were pros and doing this when installing new trans and clutch.. :(

Will need to drop the darn thing once more.

DrTriton

Established Member
You may want to consider trying a factory '13 GT500 twin disk - I really like it. Smooth engagement, no chatter, drives real nice.

Too bad the bellhousing supplier cant machine the locator holes correctly, we shouldnt have to be fixing these issues! You should get in touch with Tremec as well.

jojobee

Established Member
You may want to consider trying a factory '13 GT500 twin disk - I really like it. Smooth engagement, no chatter, drives real nice.

Too bad the bellhousing supplier cant machine the locator holes correctly, we shouldnt have to be fixing these issues! You should get in touch with Tremec as well.

How much power are you pushing to the GT500 clutch ?
I'm at 660rwhp/580tq

Ill call Tremec but that really sucks that i have to deal with this and the performance shops arent even doing this in the first place.

Maybe the bigger ones like JPC are aware of this and are checking the bellhousing alignement when installing a T56.

DrTriton

Established Member
Im making about 50rwhp less than you; it's a trade-off whether you want a smooth working clutch or just want to live with the driveability issues the aftermarket stuff has. If you are drag racing the car on sticky tires it's not the clutch you want but for a street car it works really well.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Jpc is the place to have your tremec installed. They did mine with a spec 3+ clutch and I haven't had a single issue. I have the trans in my car for more then a year...Love it ...4:10 gears don't hurt either...

travelers

Established Member
The rattle might be to much clearance in the 26 spline hubs on the clutch disks.

I have the trans sitting at home and waiting to get the rest of the parts together to install. I might go with the GT500 setup.

Last edited:

Flcracker

Established Member
I do like the 2.97 gear in my t56 xl. The car pulls better from lower rpm now. I'm running 3.31 gears and with my TVS it seems about right for the street. Sometimes I think 3.35 might be more fun just puttin' around, but WOT would be spin city.

Users who are viewing this thread