Got my T-56 magnum installed today..

toomnymods

Established Member
Few questions bout this trans and clutch combo.. Im using my old mcleod rxt out of my mt-82 trans but upgraded the clutch disks to the 26 spline for the t-56.. Start up the car and at idle it sounds like the clutch disks are rattling around until you push in the clutch or give it throttle.. Just being paranoid is this normal? Just awful lot of rumbling around for something to be sitting still with just the engine on. Drives and shifts perfect..

hand-filer

Established Member
It's normal for a dual clutch to have some chatter at low rpm under load. It shouldn't make any noise at idle.
How are you liking the magnum with the 3.73's?

Last edited:

toomnymods

Established Member
I am so far liking the spacing of the gears. I think it will probably be pretty good for boost. My armageddon kit will be going on in about 3 weeks :)
I cant really get on it too much atm cause new clutch disks proabably need to be broken in for 1,000 clutch cycles. Im pretty sure its just the clutch disks vibrating around at idle as i have a k member and tons of other suspension mods that magnify NVH..

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Clutch chatter is normal for rxt 's its why i didnt get one when my tremec got installed! Chatter is not a characteristic of twin disc clutches just the rxt. Its hit or miss some them chatter others dont. Well at least you got the best manual trans. You'll love it!

toomnymods

Established Member
Clutch chatter is normal for rxt 's its why i didnt get one when my tremec got installed! Chatter is not a characteristic of twin disc clutches just the rxt. Its hit or miss some them chatter others dont. Well at least you got the best manual trans. You'll love it!
I know, just kinda weird it never did this with the MT-82 and now clatters at idle with the T-56 trans. I guess its something i'll get used to. Is thier a easy way to find out what gear ratio i have for first gear?
Can you tell me what your rpms are at say 45 mph maybe that will let me know what gear ratio i have..

FiveOGirl

Established Member
Few questions bout this trans and clutch combo.. Im using my old mcleod rxt out of my mt-82 trans but upgraded the clutch disks to the 26 spline for the t-56.. Start up the car and at idle it sounds like the clutch disks are rattling around until you push in the clutch or give it throttle.. Just being paranoid is this normal? Just awful lot of rumbling around for something to be sitting still with just the engine on. Drives and shifts perfect..

I have this exact issue..drives me nuts.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
How much did a shop charge you for install? I have been debating going this route in the future, altho the cost of all the bells and whistles this tranny needs to work properly on the mustang is definitely hard on the wallet.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
When the clutch is disengaged (foot OFF the pedal) you should hear nothing as the full force of the pressure plate is released onto the disks.

Do you hear noise with the pedal pressed in or when your foot is OFF the pedal?

If you are hearing noise with the pedal out it could be a noisy TOB

Last edited:

toomnymods

Established Member
How much did a shop charge you for install? I have been debating going this route in the future, altho the cost of all the bells and whistles this tranny needs to work properly on the mustang is definitely hard on the wallet.
Well i've been friends with this mechanic for probaly 3-4 years now and he owns his own diesel repair shop. he did everything for $450.00 including wiring in the speed sensor. this is probably his 20th or so Mcleod to install on a mustang gt. Lot of DFW5.0 guys use this guy for install work since he used to own a coyote mustang and was in our carclub..

When the clutch is disengaged (foot OFF the pedal) you should hear nothing as the full force of the pressure plate is released onto the disks.

Do you hear noise with the pedal pressed in or when your foot is OFF the pedal?

If you are hearing noise with the pedal out it could be a noisy TOB

at idle with foot off the pedal..

Last edited:

DrTriton

Established Member
The McLeod stuff seems to really be hit or miss - I put an RXT in my car when I installed the Magnum and I ended up taking it out after 1000 miles. The engagement was terrible and it had a very loud driveline harmonic just off idle. Sold that thing for $400 - never again.

I ended up putting all the '13 GT500 twin disk parts in my car - it is a real nice set up for a car that is mostly street driven.

Flcracker

Established Member
My RXT chatters like a sum bitch at idle but goes away as soon as I push the clutch in.

Do any of you t56 magnum xl guys hear a load clunk noise once in while during the 1 -2 shift. Also, I've noticed that the shifting is pretty notchy when just putting around and much smoother when shifted at higher rpm. Anyone have a similar experience. The notchieness and the clunk have really spoiled the whole t56 magnum xl experience for me. Also, does your car feel a little bit slower due to the weight of the tranny?

Last edited:

DrTriton

Established Member
My Magnum XL shifted very poorly, I found that the Quicktime bellhousing that was supplied with the trans was not machined correctly. The locating holes were over-sized and off-center. I had to pull the trans, remove the front plate off it and take the clutch off. I used a mag base dial indicator to verify the concentricity off the crank to the front bearing plate and found it was out by 0.032 inch! Once I got that fixed AND replaced the RXT clutch, which wouldnt disengage fully unless the pedal was right to the floor, 95% of my problems were solved. The remaining 5% is inherent to the trans - it just doesnt shift as buttery smooth as the factory Getrag unit does, at least in my case.

As for the RXT clutch noise, it does NOT have any dampening springs in the discs (mine didnt anyway) and that's why it has a nasty driveline harmonic just off idle in gear.

DrTriton

Established Member
My RXT chatters like a sum bitch at idle but goes away as soon as I push the clutch in.

Do any of you t56 magnum xl guys hear a load clunk noise once in while during the 1 -2 shift. Also, I've noticed that the shifting is pretty notchy when just putting around and much smoother when shifted at higher rpm. Anyone have a similar experience. The notchieness and the clunk have really spoiled the whole t56 magnum xl experience for me. Also, does your car feel a little bit slower due to the weight of the tranny?

If you are getting a clunk noise between shifts that is a good indication that either your clutch is dragging or your trans is out of alignment. Thats exactly what my car was doing - I had the Tremec guys drive it and that was their diagnosis.

My car felt a bit slower as well - the gear ratios aren't the same as the factory trans so that has a lot to do with it. Except for the durability, I really liked the Getrag trans for shift quality and the ratios.

Last edited:

Flcracker

Established Member
Very helpful info DrTriton, thanks. I sure would like to meet up with someone here in South Florida with a t56Magnum, so we can compare them. I'm going to take it back to my shop and have them check the clutch to see if it's dragging or if the tranny is not aligned. Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread