Got my Steeda Cat Back on!

Fleck 5

Established Member
I bought my Steeda Cat back new off of Ebay for $425 from a guy who was getting divorced and never installed it on his Cobra. Apparently the ex took the car too. Poor guy.

I purchased the Steeda exhaust because I thought is was the quitest exhaust out there and had no dront. I was looking for and exhaust that sounded bad ass when I got on it but was civilized in normal driving.

This exhaust is far from quiet. The noise level all depends on the RPM's you are cruising at. Between 1800 - 2300 it has a deep sound that is kind of loud (I guess you would call it drone, even though it sounds different than my 1993 GT). Above those RPM's that sound goes away. When you are driving the car easy, it is in this range half the time. It is a hard range to avoid and still drive the car easy. I don't know if this problem could be solved by using dynomat in the car. I noticed that the exhaust tips are 1"-2" shorter than the stock pipes (possibly due to the installation). Could this have an effect on how much sound goes into the car?

When you get on it, it sounds bad ass. I love the sound, I just wish that it was quieter when you are going easy on the car. I have a 8 month old pregnant wife at home and she is going to be pissed when she realizes that the exhaust isn't as quiet as I told her it would be. She already said something about how loud it was the first night I came home as she could hear me coming. It didn't help that I was hauling ass through our development.

BlackMachWon

WTF?
Established Member
Originally posted by Fleck 5
I was looking for and exhaust that sounded bad ass when I got on it but was civilized in normal driving.

I have the Borla 14858, same as yours but with different tips and different logos on the mufflers. Your quote listed above is exactly what my thoughts were after installing mine and what I was hoping for.

You are the first person I've seen that thought this system was too loud.
You got a good price on it. If you really think it's too loud, you might try the Ford FR500 system, reported to be THE quietest system available (with the Steeda/Borla system 2nd quietest), you could certainly get your $ back by selling the Steeda.

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Is the 14858 really the same as the Steeda? I thought the steeda was someone else's...

jusmon

Established Member
You know I had my steeda catback and a K&N FIPK put on the car yesterday myself. It's amazing the difference in sound quality BOTH of these make. I love hearing the supercharger whistling as I give it a little gas. The exhaust sounds good but I didn't really find it to be all that loud. I know exhaust for me was the most difficult decision as all the soundbites sound the same so picking one was difficult but I'm pretty happy with my choice.

Funny thing is I called my buddy on the cell and said 'hey listen to this' and he said he could hear the supercharger no problem (that thing screams now) but couldn't really make out the exhaust and I was driving a convertible with the windows up and had it on speaker phone.

The exhaust does rumble though :)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had the Steeda catback and really loved it. Just the right tone and level of loudness for me.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
I have a aftermarket H w/ the Steeda CB and Im selling it b/c I thought it was still to quiet.

Just put the Stingers on, now it's louds as hell

xsvtcmex

Established Member
for those who have the steeda c/b. do your mufflers hang really low or did I install them wrong. checked it a couple of time ,sounds good,no exhaust leaks but mufflers can clearly been seen from side of car and rub on most speed bumps. any help would be appreciated.

DontGetBit

The Dynasty has begun....
Established Member
I installed my Steeda CB on tuesday and I love it. It is not too, but very noticeable. It also has no drone, unlike the Flowmasters on my GT. I am going to install a prochamber with it to complete my exhaust for now.

My mufflers hang the same height as stock and have no problems with rubbing on speed bumps.

Fleck 5

Established Member
A clarification:
The exhaust isn't too loud at all RPM's. It is just that 400 RPM range I mentioned earlier. With most of my mileage being around town, I am constantly going in and out of that range. Once I get above that range it is just as quiet as the stock exhaust.

numbaonestunna

Established Member
haha....

Originally posted by xsvtcmex
for those who have the steeda c/b. do your mufflers hang really low or did I install them wrong. checked it a couple of time ,sounds good,no exhaust leaks but mufflers can clearly been seen from side of car and rub on most speed bumps. any help would be appreciated.

Hope you didn't do what I did <embarassed grin> First time I put them in (magnaflow) I put them in upside down. You might need to rotate the mufflers 180 and they will stick "up" in the pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread