Got my car lowered and NOW.............

boostedsnake

Established Member
Hey guys, I just got my car lowered w/a set of H&R Sport Springs and now my steering response seems a bit soft w/a slight play than before. Is this normal before an alignment as my car hasn't being aligned yet...........if so why? Did ur cars/steering felt the same way before u got them aligned? I had the installer re-check everything for any loose parts and there were none found. Any help/info is GREAT.

Thanks

SVT 03 Cobra

your steering geometry is changed.... a good alignment will correct some of it... but if it is lowered more than about an inch and a half... caster camber plates may be necessary. You may want some X2 ball joints as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Lowering the car will change the tow and camber. This will deffiantely change the steering feel of the car.

Brian

Last edited:

SStupid

Established Member
Lessons

I learned from lowering my first car that changing factory geometry is always a mistake, unless you're willing to spend the money to get it done right. It looks cool, but why ruin the driveability of a car for looks?

ADR

Greased Lightning
Established Member
Man you guys have just help me make up my mind, I had an appointment to get lowering springs, but I think I will cancel. Because that is what I was worried about.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow! Very interesting link. I was just yesterday considering buying Steeda springs to lower my car but after reading the article I've just changed my mind. Dropping 1 1/2" isn't worth the myriad of negative side-affects I might have to deal with. Thanks so much for posting the link!
:thumbsup:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
You can still lower them without geometry problems, but it takes more than a set of springs and some C/C plates like most think. If you really want it lowered, go for it, but use the parts he listed to correct the geometry.

hawkls1

Established Member
I'am going with350# coil-overs in the front. and 770#h&r race rear.going to leave the car a its rideheight now,the 03 cobra's are already lowered in the front. the rear h&r springs will lower the rear about 1.5".and I'am coing too use my stock bilstein.going to cost me 700.00 with camber plates.

stangin

Established Member
Oh yeah, dont forget the poor guy who lowered his car and bashed his oil pan and destroyed the engine due to no oil pressure volume. Will not be covered under waranty either. I just think its not worth lowering the car, too many issues and expense..

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
that was VERY rare, I still don't know how he did that to his car. There are different springs to choose from, some totally drop the car and some only lower about an inch. You can't say that because someone damaged their car with springs that its always bad to lower your car.

Brad

Banned
All I know is my car feels stock, has a 1.7 drop in the front 1.6 in the rear.. no caster camber plates.. just an alignment.. and I have put about 6000 miles on the car since the install.. My tires still all look new.. my ride feels stock.. and the car looks awesome.. If I had to do it again, it would have been my first mod rather than 5th mod.:thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For those still supporting the lowering of our Cobras, have you read the link posted above? I'm just curious because it is a real eye opener. This is a classic case of aftermarket companies selling a product without notifying the consumer of the risks involved, nor telling them about other items they should/must buy to do it right. I wonder how many people who read the info provided in the link would make the decision to go with the springs without making ALL of the mods mentioned in the link.

Last edited:

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by CobraBob
For those still supporting the lowering of our Cobras, have you read the link posted above? I'm just curious because it is a real eye opener. This is a classic case of aftermarket companies selling a product without notifying the consumer of the risks involved, nor telling them about other items they should/must buy to do it right. I wonder how many people who read the info provided in the link would make the decision to go with the springs without making ALL of the mods mentioned in the link.

I have read that link before, but I can't take the stock 4x4 look of a cobra.

In my experience.. after 6000 miles.. and no caster camber.. all my wheels are worn perfectly even. And when I say even, I mean dead on even.

Same thing with my 2001, and that thing had 17k on it, so I dont know what to say here, I think lowering is a sweet mod.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you're happy with what you've done and accept the possible consequences of performing this mod then that's all that matters. A lot of us, however, are unwilling to compromise our suspension system for the sake of dropping the car 1 1/2". But some folks are going to learn the hard way that this maybe isn't such a smart mod unless you do it right. JMO. Oh, Brad, I wholeheartedly agree that lowering makes the car look a lot better. No doubt about it.

SlipNslide281

Established Member
I dropped my car and It feels great. Its been dropped for about 8000 miles. no caster camber plates, and I went in for an alighnment and was told its on the money. for me it looks great and drives, and handles great.

Bingo13

Established Member
No problems here with the Cobra Sport Springs, Cobra "R" springs, or the MM Coil-Overs. The secret is not to drop the car more than 1" to 1.25". If you do then the X2 balljoint kit is suggested and maybe new end links at most for the spring installs. If I started a message that stated " Lowered Car is Great" then I wonder what the response would have been. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread