Got me another Snake

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
b477b7a1-3b3c-4705-9c68-d0eb83b83085.jpg03fee280-027a-42f3-b225-16e6a1cd6c58.jpg

Got a Gen 5 Viper to keep the Cobra company.

As fate would have it, I had a Terminator run up on me on the long drive home and he wanted to race. Never happened due to a number of reasons...weather, traffic, newbie etc.

Still on the fence as to whether or not it is much quicker than my recently ex-Whippled Cobra (just put the ported eaton back on, and may sell it?).

Anyway, it is a nice car but has traction issues even with a 13" wide rear tire. Awesome shifter, loud and I love the side exhaust.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Well color me jealous.... very nice, absolutely love the Gen 5s!

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Hell ya OP, those 5th Gen Vipers are so sick, one day I'll own one.

TClark22

Established Member
I'm jealous. You should definitely keep both snakes. Put that whipple back on it.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Nice car OP. I'm sure you'll love it.

What are the internals good for in these cars?

Plenty. A specific number is hard to know for sure. Way too many variables that influence that.

A large, forged motor, that doesn't turn crazy rpm's is generally a good recipes for reliability.

Here is a bit more involved build of a Viper motor, that shows what you can do with one.

[video=youtube;JWXbsyYR-8g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWXbsyYR-8g[/video]

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh wow, Kelly, congratulations! What an awesome acquisition. I love the color. How does it sound from inside with the side exhaust? Awesome I'll bet. I'm really happy for you, my friend. If you were going to add another Snake to the family, the Gen-5 Viper is certainly a very worthy ride. :beer: :rockon:

If I was closer to you, you KNOW you'd have to take me for a ride. :)

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
As a school kid I loved the first gen hardtops.

Anyone else think its crazy a car born in '92 is already on a 5th gen?

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Thanks for the comments.

Not sure what they sell for in the US. However you can still pick up a new 2014 for an awesome deal right now if you look around.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Oh wow, Kelly, congratulations! What an awesome acquisition. I love the color. How does it sound from inside with the side exhaust? Awesome I'll bet. I'm really happy for you, my friend. If you were going to add another Snake to the family, the Gen-5 Viper is certainly a very worthy ride. :beer: :rockon:

If I was closer to you, you KNOW you'd have to take me for a ride. :)

Anytime my friend.
I got the Cobra all buttoned back up yesterday and took it for a run today. I don't remember the clutch being as stiff as it seems now. But the Cobra is an awesome car and just not too sure I can part with it and the wife is telling me the same thing. The issue is I would never drive both and they compete for seat time when the weather is right around here (aka not that often).

It is crazy loud on start up and settles down a bit once it warms up. At full throttle it is very LOUD but has a decent sound to it. Although I figured my Cobra sounded about as good as a car could. After the cobra warmed up tonight it seemed really quite to me. Doesn't really make that much sense, however I could be used to the Viper already or it is quieter with the Eaton back on it?

The Viper tranny / shifter is incredible and the clutch very light. One drawback is, if you shift out of 1st gear before 2000 or so RPM it makes you skip shift to 4th...I hate that feature.
Mileage sucks and it has a fairly small tank...but then again I didn't get it for mileage.

The cockpit is very tight and takes some getting used to but the leather seats are very good. Also the car is a real bugger to get in and out of.
The car is very light ~ 3300 lbs and to my surprise it has a fair bit of carbon fibre (hood, rear trunk, not sure about what else.
It has some very cool features like adjustable shocks and you can program a bunch of features on the display and it shows 5 or 6 gauges on the digital display.
This car has the upgraded stereo and it sounds way better than anything I own or expected.
Sightlines are poor and it has a backup camera because you can't see shit outta of the back of the car.
I am a low key guy, and it gets a bit more attention at times then I like.
Some say it has a lazy motor, but just explodes above 4000 RPM.

Funny because lots of people think it is a Ferrari or just aren't sure what the car is. I think it is a nice looking car and the black wheels look better in person than expected, but at first I was going to sell the black ones and get the TA sidewinders instead. However, the black rims are growing on me.

My $.02.

FYI, gonna datalog the Cobra tomorrow...so waiting to hear the supercharger scream.....,miss that in the Viper for sure.
take care

Last edited:

hey11101

Established Member
Coming from 03 cobra sure do miss the whine, maybe one day the whine will be in the viper ?.... we will see, sledgehammer supercharger should be coming out next year or by the end of this year I am just wondering how much it will be for it it. Getting out and in is a bitch and a half especially in the garage with the car parked next to you.

Users who are viewing this thread