Got hit tonight...

Heavyfoot

Established Member
So today on my commute home from work a decided it was a good idea to hot my car right slap in the side denting my door up pretty good. My first thought is that I wanna kill this guy, but I quickly compose myself and try to act as civil as possible....turns out the after the cop gets there and does a little investigating this guy doesn't even have insurance to cover the damages done to my car.....after asking him of he was going to make this right and fix my car, he gave me his number and told me to call him with an estimate.....idk weather or not to believe him cause if u can't afford insurance how can u afford over 1000 dollars worth of damage.....so needless to say, that I'm a tad bit furious cause I think I'm going to have to come out of pocket on this one.....also I'm in the middle of buying a house so I can't take out any loans to pay for the damage and all my additional funds are going towards the house......END RANT
by7a3eje.jpg

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
if the damage starts on the front fender its going to be more in the 2k-2.5k range
girlfriend had a similar accident on a nissan altima and it was almost 3k

Heavyfoot

Established Member
The damage is only on the door.

How does making a claim through my insurance and going after him work?

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
you file the claim with your carrier IF you have insured motorist coverage.

Then they decide if they are going to go after the other driver.

Heavyfoot

Established Member
^^^^thanks. But unfortunately to keep my insurance rate lower I don't have that and my deductibles are on the higher end. Hind-sight 20/20 I guess

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
Where in Louisiana are you?

Two things would have happened.

1. I would have went to jail

2. The other guy would have went to the hospital to be pronounced by the Coroner.

CobRoush-00

Established Member
That really sucks. Hope it all works out for you and you have insurance to cover that. Either way a deductible amount will come out of your pocket.

Heavyfoot

Established Member
I live in livingston, but my commute is to houma. I've got quite a drive.
And trust me, I would have loved to have done something about it, but I didn't think that me going to jail was going to make the day better.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I just went through this the lady that slid into my parked car had the same insurance i have. Needless to say it was fixed. The real bummer is "your vin# will have a carfax report associated with it, and so does mine"

Fun4me

Established Member
At least your ok, and not in jail. In Illinois he can have his license suspended if he doesnt pay for your damages. In Illinois you would send in your Crash report to the Dept of Transportation and they put a lien on his driving privelages. It has to be done quick(within a week iirc), and you can remove it if he pays you. So check with your local authorities and talk to dude about making your car whole. I've had my work car hit by drivers w/o insurance to many times to count, and "uninsured motorist" coverage is only a few dollars extra on your policy.

Heavyfoot

Established Member
Even if you don't have uninsured motorist coverage, still talk to your agent.

I plan to give them a call if the guy doesn't seem to really wanna "make it right" after I get a quote tomorrow. But idk how much help they will be.

I just wished that If someone was gonna hit me, they would at least have insurance.

Heavyfoot

Established Member
At least your ok, and not in jail. In Illinois he can have his license suspended if he doesnt pay for your damages. In Illinois you would send in your Crash report to the Dept of Transportation and they put a lien on his driving privelages. It has to be done quick(within a week iirc), and you can remove it if he pays you. So check with your local authorities and talk to dude about making your car whole. I've had my work car hit by drivers w/o insurance to many times to count, and "uninsured motorist" coverage is only a few dollars extra on your policy.

When I spoke to the police officer he told me my best bet if he didn't come through was to take him to small claims court.
And uninsured motorist will be something added to my policy VERY soon. I just wished that it hadn't come down to this to make me get it. LESSONS LEARNED

Fun4me

Established Member
When I spoke to the police officer he told me my best bet if he didn't come through was to take him to small claims court.
And uninsured motorist will be something added to my policy VERY soon. I just wished that it hadn't come down to this to make me get it. LESSONS LEARNED
IMO your insurance agent should have explained this scenario to you, and forced your hand to get the uninsured coverage. Cops dont always give good legal advice. Small claims court has filing fees and you usually have to take a couple days off work. What I did with the Dept of trans didnt cost a thing, and slowly got paid for my damages. Your damage is not to bad, so its reasonable that the other driver could come up with the cash. If you won in small claims, can they force him to pay? But if his license is suspended, he would go to jail if caught driving. Was he cited?

AnthonyNoz

Established Member

Get a worse cAse scenario from a body shop and tell the guy its that amount....my friend bought a salvage title brembo track pack and had ordered the door from the dealer for $900 painted...you might be able to make some money off this

Users who are viewing this thread