got bent over- $135 to dismount two tires?

Zacharyx

Established Member
Meh. About right for nice rims and low pros. Nobody wants to take the risk of it without getting paid for it. Can't blame them one bit. I just paid 247 iirc for four tires mounted and balanced. No dismount. Dealers just charge more an hour.

I agree with getting paid for the risk but going strictly by number doesn't constitute low profile, figure the sidewall is basically the same on a 315/35 and a 275/40 or a 245/45 but normally the 315 will cost more to mount

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Pulling my tires to get my wheels widened. I took my rear SVTPP wheels over to the Ford dealer because Mr Tire said they can't guarantee they won't wreck the wheels! At least Ford will honor that. But they called and said it would 30mins labor per wheel ($135 total) to get those tires off because they're "low profile" and take longer. I'm sure I'm getting ripped off- but maybe it's worth it knowing my wheels hopefully won't be scratched up by some doofus at Mr. Tire. I wasn't going to sign a waiver saying "scratch me wheels, please!".

:whine:

I'm wondering if I should have them install the 315's when they come in. I bet that'll be another $135+...... So $270 to dismount and mount two tires?

you should of time them an watch the whole time. if it was less than an hour you should of got a refund

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
you should of time them an watch the whole time. if it was less than an hour you should of got a refund

What, so they can take their time and loaf around??? I can make two tire dismounts take me an hour if your going to sit there and watch... no problem

Wide, low aspect ratio tires are always more difficult. Especially if you don't want even 1 scratch on the rims.... If they are reverse mount, painted/powdercoated wheels, even harder. Mainly the no scratch/no chip part.

BTW, that is way to much for a dismount on two tires.

BennyG.

Established Member
I have always had good luck at Discount, they have always given me good deals and have fixed flats for free.

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
Ouch

Sorry to hear that Zimm...yeah man, $30 max for dismount on a couple tires. Thing is, the dealer is no safer for your wheels than most wheel shops that do it day in/day out. I know it must have really pained you given you like to do a lot of stuff to the car yourself.

Consider yourself lucky...just think about that level of "robbery" on a greater scale with a much larger job. I thank the Lord I know my way around the car a good bit and have some tools/place to wrench.

Unfortunately for many of us, dismounting tires is one of those jobs we kinda have to farm-out.

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Lol most get done that way at dealerships. I would suggest go to one of your local chrome rim shops. Talk to the guys in the back, one that seems to be cool, that stays away from everyone else. I have a guy at the local rim shop that does my tires for me. Just take them off and drop them off to him in the morning. If it's a slow day get them done on the spot. Packed, just pick them up before they close. Remove, replace, and road force balance all for 25 a wheel. Most of the larger rim shops have the newest equipment available since they are doing high dollar rims all day.

95PGTTech

Established Member
Pulling my tires to get my wheels widened. I took my rear SVTPP wheels over to the Ford dealer because Mr Tire said they can't guarantee they won't wreck the wheels! At least Ford will honor that. But they called and said it would 30mins labor per wheel ($135 total) to get those tires off because they're "low profile" and take longer. I'm sure I'm getting ripped off- but maybe it's worth it knowing my wheels hopefully won't be scratched up by some doofus at Mr. Tire. I wasn't going to sign a waiver saying "scratch me wheels, please!".

:whine:

I'm wondering if I should have them install the 315's when they come in. I bet that'll be another $135+...... So $270 to dismount and mount two tires?

If the wheels were off the car and it's a small job like that, I would just take a look outside for the guys smoking and ask who the shop foreman is. Ask him if he wants or one of his guys wants to make a few bucks and leave the wheels for "whenever he gets a chance" and leave your cell phone number.

I guarantee you that less money would have come out of your pocket and more money would have gone into the tech's pocket, and you likely would have gotten yourself a hook up on services for your vehicle in the future. We always appreciate it when a customer throws us a bone and our shop manager generally looks the other way on side work as long as it is not impacting the shop work.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Thanks for the advice on the rim shops- I'll look into that.

My wallet and puka (it's hawaiian) have been hurting lately. Just went to UPS and dropped $170 to get my wheels shipped out for widening! I hate burning money on labor, but I can't really drive out to California to drop them off, or peal off my tires with a screwdriver....

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
If the wheels were off the car and it's a small job like that, I would just take a look outside for the guys smoking and ask who the shop foreman is. Ask him if he wants or one of his guys wants to make a few bucks and leave the wheels for "whenever he gets a chance" and leave your cell phone number.

I guarantee you that less money would have come out of your pocket and more money would have gone into the tech's pocket, and you likely would have gotten yourself a hook up on services for your vehicle in the future. We always appreciate it when a customer throws us a bone and our shop manager generally looks the other way on side work as long as it is not impacting the shop work.

That's good advice, but this dealer has the shop closed up like a bank vault. All the shop doors are closed for winter, they have a waiting room area, and no easy way to sneak into the back.

stangposse

Established Member
I've never paid more than $30 a tire, however no one ever guaranteed the rim. If I had a serious set of wheels I'd pay $135 every time if the replacement value of the rim was guaranteed.

I've always sized up the guy who'd be doing the mounting and if he seemed legit then I'd let whatever place I was at do it. I actually had Pep Boys do my DR's on brand new rims. It helped that the dude had an STI with $3k worth of BBS's on his car.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
What, so they can take their time and loaf around??? I can make two tire dismounts take me an hour if your going to sit there and watch... no problem

Wide, low aspect ratio tires are always more difficult. Especially if you don't want even 1 scratch on the rims.... If they are reverse mount, painted/powdercoated wheels, even harder. Mainly the no scratch/no chip part.

BTW, that is way to much for a dismount on two tires.

At the same time if not watching they can scratch a rim an it becomes a he said she said deal. So I watch cause I trust no one.

Users who are viewing this thread