got bent over- $135 to dismount two tires?

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Pulling my tires to get my wheels widened. I took my rear SVTPP wheels over to the Ford dealer because Mr Tire said they can't guarantee they won't wreck the wheels! At least Ford will honor that. But they called and said it would 30mins labor per wheel ($135 total) to get those tires off because they're "low profile" and take longer. I'm sure I'm getting ripped off- but maybe it's worth it knowing my wheels hopefully won't be scratched up by some doofus at Mr. Tire. I wasn't going to sign a waiver saying "scratch me wheels, please!".

:whine:

I'm wondering if I should have them install the 315's when they come in. I bet that'll be another $135+...... So $270 to dismount and mount two tires?

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I paid less then that to mount and balance 4 new tires on my 20" truck wheels. That low profile comment I'd crap, I could see if you were using a 20 series rubber band.

When you go back tell them they better use lube when they mount and balance. But they might charge extra...

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Sucks man. What dealer, Sheehy? I have gotten to know the service manager pretty good at Cowles in Woodbridge. He always hooks me up.

cjgt500

Established Member
Discount Tire has always taken good care of me. They found my slow leak in the driver front tire from a mold line on the bead. Fixed and no charge. Rotated my truck tires for free even though I did not buy the tires there but they did mount them. List goes on...and I trust them to take care of my stuff.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
My "stealership" told me the same thing, it was either 70 or 80 when I did mine a year or so ago a tire just to dis-mount. They gave me the same song and dance, oh it's so time consuming, blah blah blah. Took them to a local tire shop and they let me watch them, literally took 2-3 minutes a tire and they charged me 12 bucks each. It looked real confusing and stressful to do, not. It's not that hard to put a rag on the bar so it doesn't scratch the wheel as it spins and breaks the bead. I've got so many stories about trying to deal with ford service but that's all for now. GL

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
I'd like to second the Discount Tire (America's Tire in CA) recommendation. I just wrote an e-mail to them about their great service and personnel. No one else touches my True Forgeds.

Steve

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Yeah I just picked them up. $113. At least the rims are perfect. He said they would "hook me up" on the mount/balance when I get tires- yeah right. I'll just have to find a shop I can trust. My local goodyear dealer screwed me by blowing out two TPMS sensors on my 4runner- and saying it wasn't their fault- and they couldn't balance the tires to save their life. Mr. tire won't do 'em without a waiver. And no discount tire here in Virginia.

SYMach1

IRS FTW!
Established Member
Yeah thats a lot, we have a touchless machine at our shop in sterling which is about 45 mins from you we would have charged you half that

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Did they make you wear a dress?

Franchi

Established Member
That's nuts. I had my local Ford dealership unmount old worn rubber, mount and balance 4 new tires on Cobra rims for my 04 and they charged me $55 I think total? ANd I bought the rims and tires elsewhere...

Zacharyx

Established Member
I have good luck with Pep Boys lately $40 to unmount, mount and balance my 315/35 and they had it done in about 20 min from when I got there.

CPRsm

Meh. About right for nice rims and low pros. Nobody wants to take the risk of it without getting paid for it. Can't blame them one bit. I just paid 247 iirc for four tires mounted and balanced. No dismount. Dealers just charge more an hour.

2Sharpie

Established Member
Pulling my tires to get my wheels widened. I took my rear SVTPP wheels over to the Ford dealer because Mr Tire said they can't guarantee they won't wreck the wheels! At least Ford will honor that. But they called and said it would 30mins labor per wheel ($135 total) to get those tires off because they're "low profile" and take longer. I'm sure I'm getting ripped off- but maybe it's worth it knowing my wheels hopefully won't be scratched up by some doofus at Mr. Tire. I wasn't going to sign a waiver saying "scratch me wheels, please!".

:whine:

I'm wondering if I should have them install the 315's when they come in. I bet that'll be another $135+...... So $270 to dismount and mount two tires?

Thats hard-core rape!! Took my extra set to VA Tire & Auto and they charged around $60 for all 4 -- while I watched them. They have the "touchless" equipment too. After powdercoating they did the same. Typical dealership doing that shit to their customers -- you should've gotten a hooker-to-go for that $$$$$ !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread