Got a new job!

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
I have an uncanny way about me as to provide an unnecessary amount of detail to tell such a simple story so I'll keep this post forum friendly.

Four years ago I lost a good paying job In the most insulting way.

shortly after the 2008 economy crisis hit and I was hard struck to find fairly compensating work.

Moved to AZ after accepting a job offer and upon arrival was told that the persons who's job I was taking decided not to retire and the organization (pro sports team) could do nothing but offer their most heart felt apology. again a rabbit hole of detail I don't want to go down.

stuck it out in Arizona for a year and moved back to Ohio. Worked sub par paying jobs, ass busting jobs and dead end jobs all while learning to live like a poor man. sold almost everything I had to pay my bills, battled going into depression and tried kept a positive outlook on life witch is a hard thing to do while your trying to decide what days out of the week your going to eat.

The mess of debt I had obtained by living beyond my means in the years before I lost my job had been the first thought that popped into my head every single morning when I woke up. ( not a good way to start the day for four straight years ) but somehow I ended up paying almost every bill I have completely off over the last four years scratching and clawing every step of the way all in hopes of making life easier somewhere down the road.

Then all of a sudden two months ago I get a call, A job offer.

The job is a $35k a year BUMP in pay!

I'm still on cloud nine, what a life lesson I have learned over the past years.
all of my hardships seem to make sense now, I have grown up and matured financially and mentally.

I cant imagine what kind of debt i would be in now if I would have never lost my well paying job in the first place.

I am almost 100% debt free right now and Im saving money like a mad man. their hasnt been once cent in my savings for the past four years and now more than half of my paycheck go's into my savings every week.

Life has beat me down and I somehow got back up. Things are lookin' good.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
congrats dude, while not in as bad of a situation as you i started idling in life at my previous job. i was miserable, just showed up for a subpar paycheck, etc... finally had enough and made a short term sacrifice for a long term gain and long story short...I'm in a job that I LOVE, getting payed better than I could have imagined and great benefits/retirement plan/etc.

God bless you in your new job, its great to see positive posts in times like these. Nice work knocking out the debt too.

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
glad to hear things are looking up! yeah last year was rough for me, glad things picked up for ya, i hit rock bottom and continued to dig.....glad i made it out.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
congrats.. I know what it's like to go from a damn good paying job (take home around 5500 a month) to 1200 a month (active duty Navy to retirement).. luckily I prepared and had all my bills paid off, so I'm not struggling, but it sure is different going from having all the money I can want, to existing..

I'm just waiting for a word from Union Pacific if I got a job as train crew.. sure hope so..

ZFan88

Established Member
Your life sounds exactly like mine. I went from good money, to barely getting by for 5 years, and now just landed a great job, where, ironically, it's $35k/year more for me too. Congrats!

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
More people I hear getting jobs the better, the people suffering the most seem to be the new grads and the older people. Glad to see you get work.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
PG&E is looking for a lot of people in CA right now if you didn't already know. Much better company to work for then UP from what I hear. Also look into SMUD, The state, and SMUD. Good luck.

Thank you for the info.. The big thing my wife (she has her money, I have mine) and I don't like Cali, I want a job/career where I can move out of here to a more conservative state.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
It is nice to hear a positive story for a change. It seems like every story I have read/heard the past couple of years is about people losing their jobs and houses. Congrats!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What a happy ending to a difficult and trying 4 year saga. Your story should be made into a movie because the majority of Americans would (or should) learn a valuable lesson or two from it. I salute you for working so hard to pay off your debts (some would have taken the bankruptcy route) responsibly and your willingness to actually work at multiple jobs rather than depend on welfare. You're in such a great position now. I'm happy for you! I hope the lessons you learned can even benefit others going through tough times financially. Good for you!

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Congrats OP! I too learned how to manage money only after losing my job. Almost lost both of my cars. My credit took a hit, but I kept a roof over my family's head. It's amazing how little you can survive off of :beer: Since then, I have paid off all my credit cards and both of my cars, and now I have my mustang :rockon: Good job on kicking depression in the balls and toughing it out! By the way...what do you do if you don't mind me asking?

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
Thanks for the congrats everybody.

Good to hear!

Where you at in Ohio?

Lorain/Amherst

Congrats OP! I too learned how to manage money only after losing my job. Almost lost both of my cars. My credit took a hit, but I kept a roof over my family's head. It's amazing how little you can survive off of :beer: Since then, I have paid off all my credit cards and both of my cars, and now I have my mustang :rockon: Good job on kicking depression in the balls and toughing it out! By the way...what do you do if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind at all, I work for a fabrication company specializing in drum heater/ovens and fall protection.

I set up material for pre-fabrication and overlook blueprints for mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread