Got 1K Need Brakes and a Stereo... Got Ideas?

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
Ok my brothers and sisters I need some brake work and some stereo stuff done. Here's the situation...

My brakes are a squelin so Im thinkin a good flush hawk pads and probably rotors for the front ( :( ) Im thinkin rotorpros and a turning for the back rotors... I priced new rotors (stock) for the front at a local place (Kragen) and they cost more than rotorpros slotted and drilled. My question is do the RP's perform better (noticable difference) than the stockers? I ask because Im betting that I can find stockers on ebay for less than Kragen or RP's but will get the RP's if it makes a difference...

My stereo pretty much blows. Ill keep the 10" solo-baric and the 1000 watt sony amp. outside of that I need mids and highs and a deck. What do you recommend? I figure around 6-7 hundred for the stereo depending on how I do the brakes.

There wont be any cost for install on the stereo or brakes. Ill do the brake work my brother in law will do the stereo (hes really good at building box's and whatever wiring I need).

Thanks for any advice.

ducman996

Established Member
Panasonic MXE CQ-C9800U I really like this deck in my L.

This deck has it own capacitor behind the deck and is mounted separately, power is 60W RMSx4 Makes it so you can get some prety decent and loud door speakers or component speakers w/o installing another amp besides the sub amp. It also has an adjustable built in high/low pass filter so it can cut out as much base from the door speakers as you want (or none at all) so they will go alot louder w/o distortion and change low pass for the sub. Also has sub gain. Cool looking graphic annamation display. I got it on E-bay new for about $320 shipped. Crutchfield used to sell this model for $600. You can add another imput to it like a satelite radio or other audio imput.

4 slotted/drilled rotors and pads $265 in the link below

http://www.r1concepts.com/Items/Combo%20Pkg%20096?

You should have $400 left for speakers or whatever else.

I have the MTX thunderform with 2x 10's and a fosgate BD500 amp. I haven't upgraded the door speakers yet, but that deck make the stock door speakers sound so much cleaner and louder that I haven't really felt like I needed to because there still loud enough that the 10's don't really drowned them out.

Last edited:

SVT RELAMPAGO

28,348 kw lightning
Established Member
for brakes dont know cuase i have stockers but for the stereo I would say alpine all the way. I've always like their deck an all i have owned never had a problem. Right know I have the alpine cda-9857 and its pretty cool it works fine with my ipod nano. Its around 350 I believed.

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
Whatever happend to that 4rotor 8pad set for like 250$ that someone posted a link up to the other day asking about how they were? Nobody ever replied much.

ducman996

Established Member
inuswo said:
Whatever happend to that 4rotor 8pad set for like 250$ that someone posted a link up to the other day asking about how they were? Nobody ever replied much.

Look two posts up. I asked the guy from R1 concepets about drilled rotor cracking and he said for road coarse use they would crack but daily driver use they would be fine. There was one guy on NLOC that bought this setup and said they were working fine no cracks so far.

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
Yeah most of my driving is on the way to work and back, maybe a weekend cruise. I dont see myself doing a serious bunch of xcross or road racing in the L until I have it fixed up a little more (bought it used with a few things starting to show wear), and maybe a different DD incase something happens.

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
www.r1concepts.com

out of So Cal... cool place, call them up, i got OEM rotors, CD/ Slotted and Zinc Coated with Pads for $265 for all 4!

The rotors are BOSS brand, the same brand that was on the truck when i pulled my old rotors off. and the pads are no name... i am sure the pads are not too high perf... but you can get them without the pads too...

just a thought...

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
bda1855 said:
www.r1concepts.com

out of So Cal... cool place, call them up, i got OEM rotors, CD/ Slotted and Zinc Coated with Pads for $265 for all 4!

The rotors are BOSS brand, the same brand that was on the truck when i pulled my old rotors off. and the pads are no name... i am sure the pads are not too high perf... but you can get them without the pads too...

just a thought...

Thats still damn cheap, great for stock replacement if they work well and hold up the same.

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
if bottom dollar is your priority, then go with the R1's, just dont get drilled they are bad for anything other than carshows.

ducman996

Established Member
They also have a break pad upgrade available for this package for another (I think) $15 and I think they are either Hawk pads or very similar.

SVT RELAMPAGO

28,348 kw lightning
Established Member
look at ebay there are some front d/s rotors item #230072943870 I ask the guy what brand they were and said that he did not know but that they were d/s by some company in cali. Current bid 26.00

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
Very good stuff guys. That Panasonic looks nice... Ill look at that one some more.

I have a Kenwood in the van, its great its one of those ones where the face folds over when the van is off then folds down so that its like a double din when its on, I love it but...

I HATE the sirius display. I think Sirius was new back then when I bought everything for the van. What I dont like is that it will display the usual stuff ya know, the channel, song, artist ect... but it only displays one of these and its a bunch of button presses to display another line of info. So Im not gonna be happy with the head unit unless it displays more than one line of sat info, or at LEAST have the ability to switch which info it shows very easily.

Also my friends replay (I think is the one) lets you rewind and pause the music like a DVR unit.

Im looking for a head unit with heavy sat radio considerations.

I almost considered getting a DVD unit simply because the big screen most likely would display all of the sat radio info available. I decided against it though because

1. I dont really have the money for it.
2. I never plan on watching a movie in the L.
3. If it didnt have all of the sat radio features I want Id be pissed that I bought it.

I havent seen a way to really check out a stereos features like the ones Ive mentioned above. Any ideas?

Hmm I think Ill head over to Sirius' site and see if they have recommendations...

Help!

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
Well Sirius doesnt have recomendations :( Hmm anyone have any suggestions on how to find the right deck? Maybe I should call crutchfield but I dont know if they have that kind of info... I hate all the local shops and I hate the idea of buying online if I dont know what Im getting. This sucks.

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
Also what does everyone think of those MTX loaded boxes for our trucks? I have heard they are nice and your seats can go all the way back. Is this right? How hard do they hit and is my 1000 watt Sony amp enough to push em?

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
I did slotted and dimpled rotors (all 4) and hawks pads all around for about 440ish I think (Lightning brake and performance, great to work with, PM me if you want more details), and I got some caliper paint from ebay that a few people have used down here for 35 bucks. I'm getting a new head unit from a buddy of mine who works at best buy. I only had a 700 dollar limit though.My stupid head unit now won't let me change CD's, I can't wait till I get the new one!!!!:cuss:

jakhammer

Established Member
No comment on the radio stuff
I have RotorPro Slotted and Dimpled on all 4 corners with Hawk HPS pads. Once I put them on I instantly felt the need for stainless lines. Still dont have them. As far as the brakes, they rock. nice solid feel (other than a slight sponge due to the brake lines) and they seem to hold up well to 120mph to 0 hard braking well (I had to give them a real test). For the DD like mine, they work VERY well. I will do it again.

Lightning Steve

Established Member
Gripstang said:
Also what does everyone think of those MTX loaded boxes for our trucks? I have heard they are nice and your seats can go all the way back. Is this right? How hard do they hit and is my 1000 watt Sony amp enough to push em?

I've got the MTX box and love it, my sub amp is a MTX 342 (300 watts?), it's good enough for me and have no complaints. This a separate amp/box comb, not the built in amp/box that MTX also has. Tho I do miss the behind the seat storage.

Also have the RotorPro/Hawk pad combo and like it, tho the dimple noise is annoying at times.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread