Goodyear it is

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Not for the Truck world IMO.
Michelins tend to have softer sidewalls and that means a better ride quality. I ran Michelin 275/65/20 (stock superduty size) LTX AT2's on my diesel truck. 30K miles and 2.5 years and I loved them. Great ride, great wear, no real issues....until I took them off-road for the first time. Very easy off road trail (did not need 4x4) and when I came back I noticed a knot in the sidewall of one of the tires. The layers in the tire had separated causing a bubble in the sidewall. The sidewalls were also showing some cracking from weather. I kept 70-80psi in them at all times.

Given the tires had over 1/2 tread depth left, but were now considered dangerous I switched to Goodyear Wrangler AT/S in the same size and never looked back. Ride was a little stiffer, but it's a truck. In the dry and in the wet no significant difference in driving characteristics or traction/braking.

Of course that has nothing to do with their Performance Car Tires. I'm sure the MPSS are excellent tires, but Ford is a US brand, they should run US tires IMO.

USA > France
:beer:

Agree with truck tires, just no comparison to performance tires. Country of original doesn't mean much to me, as a large portion of any car doesn't come from the U.S. Beside, why support something inferior. That's not the American way.

Shaun@AED

Agree with truck tires, just no comparison to performance tires. Country of original doesn't mean much to me, as a large portion of any car doesn't come from the U.S. Beside, why support something inferior. That's not the American way.

Goodyear is not inferior to Michelin.
Eagle F1 All season tires may be inferior to Pilot Super Sports, but that does not mean the company is inferior to Michilen.

Goodyear has extensive racing experience, they make excellent tires.

Last edited:

Drufuss

Established Member
I run a tire store for a living, and we sell all makes and brands of tires, so I can sell without bias. I personally can't give one example of a tire that goodyear makes that is superior to michelin in a comparable line. As fas as performance tires go, you almost can't give a gt500 or a corvette owner a set of Eagle F1s. I think goodyear makes an ok tire, but to me their dollars go to marketing and branding where as michelin is far and away the most invested, researched, and developed tires on the planet. There is absolutely no compromise with their product, and It's the very cutting edge of technology. That being said LOTS of other companies make great tires. Most of them aren't US brands :(
It's a cool concept for an iconic US tire brand to be standard on an iconic US muscle car, but rather than demand our cars come with a tire because of its national origin why don't we demand the tire company's product be worthy of a demand. You can't be the best by just beating your chest and saying you're the best. That quality has to be earned every day, and shitty as it is-many US based companies have lost that. Cadillac was once the greatest luxury car brand in the world, after 30+ year of making shit cars, and getting laughed at by all the other luxury car brands they finally decided maybe we shouldn't just rely on our name and legacy and actually make a great/competitive product. Let's see if goodyear is up to the task of making a tire that's worthy of our great american sports cars (mustangs, corvettes, camaros, and maybe a mopar, but nobody say anything), so next time I blow the doors off of a Carrera it'll be louisiana pilot, texas gas, ohio rubber, and Detroit muscle.

hoodley

Established Member
all this arguing for nothing!!!!!!!!!. 97% of us will have some STICKY MICKEYS on it before whatever they decide to install in detroit gets worn down.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Et streets, bfg rivals, even nt05's, r888's, etc etc etc, tons of great options

If it performs as good as claimed on those, shoe shopping will have it very close to a zl1 on a road course, maybe quicker. Boss 302ls ran 1:39.5, zl1 1:39.2 at leguna (different days, drivers but whatever) I could see a well driven spiffy shoed brembo 15 gt hitting 1:38's with that new chassis et all if it's already ahead of the boss ls. Maybe even faster, 1:37 on a 60 tread wear tire?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

1:37 on a 60 tread wear tire? I'd bet money on it. Those 60 treadwear mpss's on the zr1 and z06 got it into the 1:33.7 range... Crazy considering base tire z06's run 1:35.8

Motortrend numbers, different days, cars, same driver though. I could honestly see a 60 tw mpss getting a boss ls into the 1:38's, and a new gt into the 1:37's at leguna seca.

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
The good years that came stock on my 03 cobra weren't any better. Those things were hard as a rock and were junk.

Lol!

I so identify with this.

I thought something was wrong with the car. Couldn't NOT peel out. And one time I was showing off with my dad. And I didn't need a line lock to melt half the tires.

Those were horrible.

Say good bye to any start stop race with those things.

Users who are viewing this thread