Goodyear F1's - when is it warm enough?

NametoShowOther

Established Member
Cam, I have a 2011 gt500 . Switched to Michelins night and day on regular driving. So yes I do have experience. I can only imagine the 2013/14 will be more of an issue. At track days the GY were great though. I bought the car in the summer in houston, great experience until temp dropped below 70

Husky44

Established Member
OP:

I live in AK, and got my car in September. It's never seen 55 degrees. I've (accidentally) run as low as 20 degrees, but have done most of my driving in the 30-45 range. You can drive the car fine in those temps, your tires will break loose fairly easily. I spend six months out of the year driving on snow and ice, so driving a car at the limit of traction is pretty routine for me; not much difference between my Excursion in the winter and my GT500 in the spring. :D

If you're smart about it, you can do fine. Drove mine to work all of last week, with highs in the low 40s, and morning lows in the 32-35 range. Would still be DD'ing it, but the little grooves in the GYs load up pretty quick with 24" of new snow. Cannot wait to get out of this state!

662HP631TQ

Established Member
The only people who say the tires are ok, are the people who never drove with Michelins. Note I do agree that when warm the GY's work very well on road course.

I think the GY are fine IF YOU DO NOT PUNCH IT!!! That being said, I am still going to order he Michelin Super Sports, ESPECIALLY because they don't pick up the rocks and I already got a chip in the wheel well because of the stikiness of the Good Year's.

I have driven in 40-50 weather while raining on a 4 hour trip with no issue in the tires. All I did was NOT punch the accelarator and all was well. No slipping or spining just easing down the road.

03reptile

Established Member
Everyone seems to be FIXATED on "hooking up" and "acceleration traction" of the "summer only" Goodyears while driving in cooler temps. No one seems to consider the increases of stopping distances and lack of tread adhesion when cornering. Using these tires in cooler temps will SIGNIFICANTLY increase your stopping distances, as the summer tire rubber simply doesn't grab as well. You'd better consider the distinct possibility of sliding into someone who stops suddenly. To me, that's a helleva lot more disconserting.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I wondered why Ford never bragged on the GT500's cold temperature stopping distance or handling properties.

03reptile

Established Member
I wondered why Ford never bragged on the GT500's cold temperature stopping distance or handling properties.

Snoopy49, It's the gorilla in the room. It's a summer tire only. The B pillar warning sticker takes them off the legal hook. They keep it simple by just warning you. I just worry that some of our readers aren't considering the dangers of not stopping in time, and are more focused about getting accelerative traction. That ommission can be a costly, and possibly fatal, mistake.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Snoopy49, It's the gorilla in the room. It's a summer tire only. The B pillar warning sticker takes them off the legal hook. They keep it simple by just warning you. I just worry that some of our readers aren't considering the dangers of not stopping in time, and are more focused about getting accelerative traction. That ommission can be a costly, and possibly fatal, mistake.

In my opinion, acceleration traction goes hand in hand with stopping room. :shrug:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member

If people don't know how to drive appropriately based on conditions (which includes tire condition/compound) then they have no business with a car like this. Everyone is talking about these tires like they are death traps. You have MANY people driving on them on a regular basis and are not having problems with them. If you drive like a fool, expect foolish things to happen. When will this topic ever die.......

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
If people don't know how to drive appropriately based on conditions (which includes tire condition/compound) then they have no business with a car like this. Everyone is talking about these tires like they are death traps. You have MANY people driving on them on a regular basis and are not having problems with them. If you drive like a fool, expect foolish things to happen. When will this topic ever die.......

I agree with this completely.

03reptile

Established Member

I too agree. This subject has been discussed adnausium. And as Ron White so eloquently puts it, " You can't fix stupid". Just wanted to make sure some realize this is a two sided coin; traction and stopping power.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I too agree. This subject has been discussed adnausium. And as Ron White so eloquently puts it, " You can't fix stupid". Just wanted to make sure some realize this is a two sided coin; traction and stopping power.

Yup, certainly nothing wrong with giving people a little head's up. Those are indeed additional factors I hope people are paying attention to. :beer:

On a side note, I want to point out I got this brake reading after testing an emergency stop in 50 degree weather. I thought it did pretty well.

IMG_0519_zpsaa5528dc.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread