Goodyear F1's - when is it warm enough?

krman68

Established Member
Hi all

I live in the Penna so it gets pretty cold right after halloween up here. I got my '13 early in Nov and promptly swapped the GYs for Pirelli ScottoZeros Zeros for winter. The GYs were absolute sh!t in the cold.

My question, how are these tires for grip between 50-70 degrees? I'd like to get the stock rims back on and wanted to use use up the GYs a bit before getting Michelins later in the summer. Does it have to be summer weather for the GYs to stick?

I don't plan on keeping the GYs especially after reading all the other posts and the splitting issue.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jack

carguy19

Established Member
The service buletin states to not use the tires in freezing temperatures. Anything north of 40 degrees should be fine not to crack the tires. Now if they will stick @ 40 , thats a different story.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
They will be ok 50 and above but get some heat in them first. The problem with the GY is they are more a R rated tire and perform better under heat. At the road course, they are actually pretty damn good once heated. Summer time they work well on the street

Cam

n/a
Established Member
I drive mine at 40F frequently, they don't hook, especially on overcast days when the pavement is also cold, but the haven't cracked either. If I waited for +65F days I'd miss most of April and probably part of May.

13thorgt500

Banned
Hi all

I live in the Penna so it gets pretty cold right after halloween up here. I got my '13 early in Nov and promptly swapped the GYs for Pirelli ScottoZeros Zeros for winter. The GYs were absolute sh!t in the cold.

My question, how are these tires for grip between 50-70 degrees? I'd like to get the stock rims back on and wanted to use use up the GYs a bit before getting Michelins later in the summer. Does it have to be summer weather for the GYs to stick?

I don't plan on keeping the GYs especially after reading all the other posts and the splitting issue.

Thanks
Jack
I also have a DIB 13. I tracked it at Atlanta Motorsports Park last September it was probably mid 70s to 80 degrees. I did not have any issues with stock goodyears but I did notice my traction control light coming on as I was finessing the gas pedal down coming off a turn at 100 plus mph. car did not want to swap ends but did seem to drift a bit on all 4 tires. I was being very sensitive to this as I didnt care to trash my car. when I got out of the car and inspected my rims/tires I had a build up of a metallic debris STUCK to my stock rims. removing this debris did leave some slight scratches in the finish. my car had about 1800 miles on her and after 4 30 minute sessions the grip from the goodyears went away fast. still had decent tread but not driveable on the streets unless it was 70 degrees or so. I recently put on Michelin PSS at Discount Tire for about $1470.00 and have been very pleased with them. Have not tracked them but do like them.:rockon:

Last edited:

mikejaeggi

Established Member
Hi all

Thanks
Jack
i have right at 500 miles on my 2013 with the stock good years, driving in temperatures from 50-80 degrees and had no issues with traction in normal driving.

bluediamond

13 Shelby aka El Diablo
Established Member
I know its popular to beat up on the GY's...but they are truly light years ahead of
the first gen F1's that came on the 07-09 500's, and are very capable tires for
street racing or a weekend road course etc.
Of course you can always find a superior DR for drag strip duty...but for an all around OEM tire, I think they are pretty good.
Initially I was concerned about traction(got my 13' in January)...but now that the temps are above 72F...much better.

huggytree

Established Member
i drove mine home from NH in Feb in 20-30degree weather w/freezing rain.....getting traction in 1st was impossible, but it was possible to move once you got into 2nd....i even drove in the snow!!! the TC made the car only go like 3-4mph through it, but the car actually moves in snow

ive been driving mine for a bit now in 40 degree weather....they will spin when you start in 1st for a block or two...after 30 seconds of driving or so they will start to get traction in 1st...so from a stop light you wont spin your tires anymore.....

ive done some all out's at around 50 degree weather....very dangerous....what i came up with was to go around 30-40 in 1st....floor it a few times...slide around the road....then it will suddenly get traction for a while(because they are heated up)....in 50 degree weather you will spin your tires at 90 mph.......so heating them up is the only way to play w/ the power

Last edited:

NametoShowOther

Established Member
The only people who say the tires are ok, are the people who never drove with Michelins. Note I do agree that when warm the GY's work very well on road course.

BOD89LX

Established Member
I drove mine yesterday in upper 50's and sunny, 1-2 were of no use if the car made any boost, 3rd was useable at WOT from a 60 roll. I am getting the PSS next week so if anybody wants a good deal on some used F1's let me know.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
The only people who say the tires are ok, are the people who never drove with Michelins. Note I do agree that when warm the GY's work very well on road course.

That's silly. Just because there are better tires out there doesn't mean the stockers arn't "Ok". Perhaps I should flip it around and say the people who can't drive on the stockers are the people who can't call themselves "Drivers". ;-)

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
Drove since October be cautious when cold after a few miles I am okay with them. I do live in the country so pretty good roads here and temp in the teens a couple of times but mostly 40 degrees and up.

BOD89LX

Established Member
For me the main reason to get the PSS is they don't pick up every rock on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread