Good ideas?

Marcello96

Shadetree Engineer
Established Member
My coolant crossover tube on the drivers side head just blew out and sprayed coolant all over the head gasket, while im replacing the gasket and have to do all the work are there any small things i should do, im doin a 1 piece tensioner already.

THIS OUTTA CLEAR THINGS UP-

the drivers side has a black metal piece that replaces the freeze plug, wich allows coolant to flow from the driver side heard to the passengers side head. Now the metal piece that goes into the freeze plug hole on the drivers side head, only has an o-ring on it to hold it in place, no bolts, no brackets or anything. When you are going 6800 rpms for about 15 minutes straight, you are flowing a lot of coolant. The pressure from the coolant must have shot the metal piece out and coolant with it. Also since it is on the head, i am thinking that it sprayed the head gasket and contaminated it.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
whats the reason that it blew out, thats the first ime ive heard of the crossover tube blowing out, was it in bad shape (rusty etc)?

Marcello96

Shadetree Engineer
Established Member
the o ring on the metal part gave out, i dont know why they dont make it where it bolts to the head but im gonna do somethin like that when it comes out, im talking about performance things that i should do, just to be clear

Marcello96

Shadetree Engineer
Established Member
mines not bolted on the drivers side

i am changin the head gasket i think the gasket got wet from coolant, no i hope it did, or else i messed somethin else up

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
mines not bolted on the drivers side

i am changin the head gasket i think the gasket got wet from coolant, no i hope it did, or else i messed somethin else up

The crossover is held down by the front two intake bolts. I to have ask, why would you change the head gasket? Have you ever pulled a 4v head?

Marcello96

Shadetree Engineer
Established Member
The crossover is held down by the front two intake bolts. I to have ask, why would you change the head gasket? Have you ever pulled a 4v head?[/QUOTE

I should have said this before, im talkin about the aftermarket crossover tube thats on the back of the heads, that should clear some things up, and i am betting that when the coolant started to spray, it got the head gasket, contaminated it, then made it fail.

No i have never taken off a Cobra head, but i have the steps on how to do it, also a very experienced friend of mine will help me with any problems i run into.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Did the head gasket fail? "getting wet" is not normally a cause for head gasket failure. Also, what aftermarket crossover tube?

The drivers side head has a tube connected to it from the factory. This tube is bolted to the head and I've never heard of it coming off.

Last edited:

Marcello96

Shadetree Engineer
Established Member
Did the head gasket fail? "getting wet" is not normally a cause for head gasket failure. Also, what aftermarket crossover tube?

The drivers side head has a tube connected to it from the factory. This tube is bolted to the head and I've never heard of it coming off.

are the gaskets in the head metal or cork/composite?

the drivers side has a black metal piece that replaces the freeze plug, wich allows coolant to flow from the driver side heard to the passengers side head. Now the metal piece that goes into the freeze plug hole on the drivers side head, only has an o-ring on it to hold it in place, no bolts, no brackets or anything. When you are going 6800 rpms for about 15 minutes straight, you are flowing a lot of coolant. The pressure from the coolant must have shot the metal piece out and coolant with it. Also since it is on the head, i am thinking that it sprayed the head gasket and contaminated it.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
the drivers side has a black metal piece that replaces the freeze plug, wich allows coolant to flow from the driver side heard to the passengers side head. Now the metal piece that goes into the freeze plug hole on the drivers side head, only has an o-ring on it to hold it in place, no bolts, no brackets or anything.

That outlet is held in by a bolt and the one below is a stock 96-98 item:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Either way, getting a little, or a lot, of coolant on the head gasket should not be any kind of problem for the head gasket whatsoever.

Pulling the heads will be a lot easier with the engine out of the car. It is not hard, in comparison to any other V8 engine. There just is not much room to work in the engine bay without gouging your hands and surroundng sheet metal, wiring, etc. And if your engine has studs instead of bolts, for the heads, then you will need to pull the engine.

I can't believe that bracket came with no holes drilled. Someone messed up on that and now you are having to pay for it.

Jim Snover

i bought that same piece, but it did not have any holes drilled in it.

Marcello96

Shadetree Engineer
Established Member
Either way, getting a little, or a lot, of coolant on the head gasket should not be any kind of problem for the head gasket whatsoever.

Pulling the heads will be a lot easier with the engine out of the car. It is not hard, in comparison to any other V8 engine. There just is not much room to work in the engine bay without gouging your hands and surroundng sheet metal, wiring, etc. And if your engine has studs instead of bolts, for the heads, then you will need to pull the engine.

I can't believe that bracket came with no holes drilled. Someone messed up on that and now you are having to pay for it.

Jim Snover

i kno it sucks, i am in the process of takin the engine out, i just need some jack stands tall enough so i can drop it out of the bottom

Users who are viewing this thread