Good Guy With a Gun Stopping a Killing Spree Local To Home

sdoo500

Established Member
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/10/us/massachusetts-mall-stabbings/

I am not sure if it's because it is so close to me but this to me is another example of a law abiding citizen carrying and stopping more deaths.

This happened about three miles from my house. A 28 year old male who was "battling depression" broke into an elderly woman's home (80 years old) , stabbed the woman and her daughter, and stole their car. The 80 year old woman died from her injuries and the daughter is still in critical condition in the hospital.

From there, he drove to the local mall and drove through the entrance to a Macy's store. Assaulted a group of people inside the store and walked over to Bertucchi's where he grabbed a knife and began to stab people there as well. One of them being a 56 year old teacher who also died from the assault.

An off duty corrections officer happened to be eating in the restaurant where he shot the suspect, ultimately killing him.

Now I am sure this man would have continued hurting and killing more people had it not been for the actions of the CO off duty. Clearly someone with no plans other than to just reek havoc and hurt as many people as possible. Doesn't seem to be getting a ton of media attention outside this area but to me it is a huge deal, maybe just because it is so local.

Word is coming out now he was checked into a hospital Monday morning for suicidal thoughts and was released Tuesday (which I am not sure how much I believe.)

Makes me sick too seeing family and friends of the suspect who I am friends with on social media defending his actions saying he was a good person.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Damn, get help people! Glad the off duty officer was there, just to bad 3 people had to die before dude was stopped.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We don't come close to taking care of addressing mental issues in this country. We'd likely be shocked to know the sheer number of people who are on medications to control their mental illness. They have no restrictions and are not normally monitored to ensure they take those medications. This can put people at risk. If they stop taking their meds, they can then act irrationally. This man could possibly have been off his meds. Or maybe his mental illness was not even being treated.

This is another example of why I, and so many others, now carry. By the way, had this man killed those innocent people with a gun, it would have been all over the news. The media is HEAVILY biased against guns and aligned with the anti-gun movement. I feel so bad for the families of the victims. And so thankful that that corrections officer was carrying a weapon. Otherwise many more people who likely have been killed.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Glad someone was there to handle the situation. I wonder what would have happened if it was a civilian who stopped shot the guy, would he be charged because most malls say you can't carry inside.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Was it an assault knife? I say ban all cooking utensils just to be safe.

It is a good thing it was only a knife, if he would have had an assault rifle it would have been much worse.

Zemedici

Established Member
We don't come close to taking care of addressing mental issues in this country. We'd likely be shocked to know the sheer number of people who are on medications to control their mental illness. They have no restrictions and are not normally monitored to ensure they take those medications. This can put people at risk. If they stop taking their meds, they can then act irrationally. This man could possibly have been off his meds. Or maybe his mental illness was not even being treated.

This is another example of why I, and so many others, now carry. By the way, had this man killed those innocent people with a gun, it would have been all over the news. The media is HEAVILY biased against guns and aligned with the anti-gun movement. I feel so bad for the families of the victims. And so thankful that that corrections officer was carrying a weapon. Otherwise many more people who likely have been killed.

And there's the long and short of it.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I was right in front of the mall as it was unfolding. Deffinetly getting my LTC soon.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Glad someone was there to handle the situation. I wonder what would have happened if it was a civilian who stopped shot the guy, would he be charged because most malls say you can't carry inside.

Varies by state. In mine those signs have no legal backing. But if you are asked to leave by someone there because you ignored the sign, you have to leave or face trespassing charges.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

I agree with you to a point, but at some point the idea of personal responsibility still needs to come into play. If it is required to function normally, people still need to have the self control to take their medication and have a little more mental strength/resolve to prevent going postal. This country is already dead broke for the next several generations and it cannot commit significantly more resources to taking care of even more people.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with you to a point, but at some point the idea of personal responsibility still needs to come into play. If it is required to function normally, people still need to have the self control to take their medication and have a little more mental strength/resolve to prevent going postal. This country is already dead broke for the next several generations and it cannot commit significantly more resources to taking care of even more people.

Can't be wasting money on mental illness, when we need to be building more F-35's.

Blown 89

Established Member
Unfortunately nobody will see this as a good guy with a gun stopping a bad guy.

What good did these idiots in the 50's and 60's think was going to come of the deinstitutionalization movement? The liberal mindset of helping people is truly astounding. They help when it's popular and then leave a trail of destruction after them when they move on to the next social justice outrage of the hour.

Last edited:

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Can't be wasting money on mental illness, when we need to be building more F-35's.

Lol. That's right, take the cliche shot at the 16% of total annual spending that goes towards defense while you keep your head in the sand about the 59% that covers out of control entitlements.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

Not even saying that but just like there are people on welfare that are milking the system, there are people who claim mental illness to milk the system too.

Lol. That's right, take the cliche shot at the 16% of total annual spending that goes towards defense while you keep your head in the sand about the 59% that covers out of control entitlements.

Bingo

Blown 89

Established Member
Not even saying that but just like there are people on welfare that are milking the system, there are people who claim mental illness to milk the system too.
My sister-in-law is one of them. Her husband owns a law firm and they are loaded. She takes in money from the government for mental disabilities that not only gives her money for disability but also gives each of her elementary aged children disability as well despite the fact that nothing is wrong with them. They're putting enough money away to pay for all four of their children to go to college and then some all while milking the government and living in a mansion. It's sickening.

Users who are viewing this thread