Good deal?

xkairos_hxc

Established Member
Hey all,
I'm looking at buying a terminator and was wondering if this is a fair deal. I'm not talking about blown it out of the water, fire sale type pricing. I'm just talking fair price, I won't lose my ass if I have to sell it down the line.
Okay
It's a 2003 cobra vert black. It has 93k miles on it. It has an upgraded clutch, American muscle wheels, lowered, full exhaust minus headers, and an intake. Never been pullied. The exterior is fantastic. I mean the paint shines so well and the black looks so deep. I'm extremely picky and this just looks good. Two small dings that hopefully can be pulled. The front seat bottom looks kind of frayed and worn where the Alcantara is. Not all of the speakers work and it needs a new rear window regulator. I was able to get intimate with it and drive it around town for approximately 4 hours. It pulls hard, no head tick, no weird noises that I could tell. The top operates flawlessly. Ac heat everything else work. The convertible bar had a small tear in it maybe the size of the end of a pen. They want $16k. It does come with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty which covers the motor, blower, etc...

TL;DR
93k miles, amazing exterior, some wear on interior, basic mods, no pulley. $16k

I know lower mileage ones can be had for $22k+, but that $6k could go a long way in mods and maintenance. Not to mention one driven for 2k miles a year could need just as much or more than one driven 5-6k a year. Either way it's low mileage for the year. I'll drive it ocassionaly on weekends to take my kids out and once a week on date night with my wife.

What, do you guys think?

Last edited:

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Expect $1200 for a top replacement, I would ask for that much off the top price and go from there, they will deal or they won’t

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

xkairos_hxc

Established Member
I red it too fast, the convertible bar has a pen hole. Not a bad deal I would guess there may be 1k wiggle room or more

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I figured that's what happened. I tried getting it down more. It's a dealer, so we're at the bottom line.

Trust me. I'm the guy trying to squeeze blood from a turnip when negotiating price.

So I know I'm not going to get lower than $16k it's just a matter of, can I do better elsewhere? And if so what are the chances?

xkairos_hxc

Established Member
kX3L85K

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/kX3L85K

Last edited:

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
While black is a common color from what your describing and mileage I think it’s a good deal. Most 12-16k terminators if there in decent shape have over 100k Miles. I would throw one more thing in the deal. Have a compression test performed for peace of mind. If it passes that and it’s what you want I’d hop on it and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xkairos_hxc

Established Member
While black is a common color from what your describing and mileage I think it’s a good deal. Most 12-16k terminators if there in decent shape have over 100k Miles. I would throw one more thing in the deal. Have a compression test performed for peace of mind. If it passes that and it’s what you want I’d hop on it and enjoy.

I think black is the best color for a mustang regardless of generation. Just soemthing mean about it. It's at a pretty big dealership. Do they have the normally have the ability to do a compression test?

I don't personally have the tools.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Did you pull the carfax?

I would at least have a compression check done by the dealer or your own mechanic.

It's a good deal but these cars, given their age and pedigree, are almost certain to have multiple owners and possible abuse.

GodStang

Established Member
It's a good deal but these cars, given their age and pedigree, are almost certain to have multiple owners and possible abuse.

Ya the number of times these cars are heavily modded and then returned back to bone stock and sold is unreal. Any shop should be able to do a compression test. $16K is not really that bad of a deal.

xkairos_hxc

Established Member
Did you pull the carfax?

I would at least have a compression check done by the dealer or your own mechanic.

Yes! No accidents. The sales manager actually owned the car for 8 months before he bought a z06. He was actually very knowledgeable about terminators specifically as well as general car knowledge. You could tell he was an actual enthusiast and not a bser like some car salesman. He said he had to replace 2 wheel bearings during his ownership in the front and that was it.
It looks like it was military owned for at least the first 11 years because the original owner had it delivered to an airforce base and then everywhere he moves had a military installation nearby.

There was a brief period where the car exchanged hands three times over a 4 months period. Prior to that it had an owner for 2 years, 1 year, 8 months, 6 months.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@GodStang's advice (and others above) is very good. Price is reasonable based on the mileage and condition. I agree that you can't assume it was never pullied. A compression check is definitely smart advice. If the compression test is good, and Carfax reports no issues, I think $16K (from $18K) with a 12 month warranty is a good deal. JMO.

I recommend that you read this info from my Terminator FAQs.

xkairos_hxc

Established Member
@GodStang's advice (and others above) is very good. Price is reasonable based on the mileage and condition. I agree that you can't assume it was never pullied. A compression check is definitely smart advice. If the compression test is good, and Carfax reports no issues, I think $16K (from $18K) with a 12 month warranty is a good deal. JMO.

I recommend that you read this info from my Terminator FAQs.

Yes. I read through it the other day. I was getting a lot of dead links though

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I think black is the best color for a mustang regardless of generation. Just soemthing mean about it. It's at a pretty big dealership. Do they have the normally have the ability to do a compression test?

I don't personally have the tools.

The dealer should be able to do it. A performance shop, or if you have a local mechanic they could do it. I recommend having one done.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
If the engine checks out as healthy, jump on it! It’s hard to find a Terminator for less than $20k that isn’t junk. Good find and nice job negotiating and not showing your drool.

Users who are viewing this thread