Good deal or not?

simpsvt97

"SNAKE"
Established Member
Im fixing to hopefully have a chance at buying a red 03 Cobra with some basic mods for a very cheap price (im talking a steal pretty much..he has lots of $$$)...the catch is the guys drives it for his work and has put around 140,000 miles on it. These are all interstate miles because he lives right above Atlanta and drives to nearby states with his work. I was wanting to ask you guys will these miles hurt the motor at all? And could it stand a smaller pully because i believe it has the stock one still on it. He just installed a brand new rack-in-pinion $900 kit and he has custom made Bassani headers and fully exhaust. Those are the mods I know of. He is a firm believer or Slick 50 so he has run that all the time. He has a Jeep that he bought brand new and ran Slick 50, it has around 280,000 miles on it now and still runs fine he said. The car cranks up fine and there is no smoke what so ever when it idles or when he is in WOT. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
That is BY FAR the highest mileage Terminator I've heard of. The next highest is ViperGTS281's @ 84,XXX I think.
Personally I'd stay away unless it was REALLY cheap.
How much is he asking?

simpsvt97

"SNAKE"
Established Member
i can prob get it for around 12k or so...the guy had a Corvette pace car (not sure what year) and let it go for 5k

simpsvt97

"SNAKE"
Established Member
im going to sell my 97 Cobra and im gonna try to put aside some of that money to go back into the motor to the parts that might be stressed out...but this guy takes care of his cars...so its not dogged out by no means...he is one of my buddies' dad's friends

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, if the price is right, why not? Just plan on spending some money at some point on the motor and drivetrain because that is some serious miles. The plus here is that you apparently know the guy and the car. I would still check it out thoroughly, do a leak down test, etc. Maybe have the oil analyzed. I'd even consider having a good shop check the motor and drivetrain.

Juruense

Banned
For $12k yes I would consider buying it. You need to do a leakdown and compression test before you buy it. Also it would be good to inspect the cylinder walls with a borescope.

simpsvt97

"SNAKE"
Established Member
yea...thats what i was planning on doing...getting the car and just taking it easy until my 97 sold and i had some $$ in my pocket. Then carrying to to a shop and getting it inspected. I mean for around 12k its a hard opportunity to pass up. Like i said, the guy is a good friend of my buddies dad. He told me he took care of every car he had. And he sells parts to his dads work, and he also said one thing stood out about him is he never lies or bullshits with you..he said if he doesnt know something about the product he is selling, that he'll say hold on and call to find out about it. I thought that was a good thing as well. He said that the rack-in-pinion was just starting to leak so he went a bought a $900 kit and he didnt like the exhaust he had put on it so he took it off and got i believe a Borla system. He basically said if it not the best it doesnt go on his Term.

Users who are viewing this thread