Good books?

Shiper

Really Cool Guy
Established Member
Haven't seen a thread about books lately. Anyone read anything good recently?
I just finished Neil Gaiman's new book, it is pretty short but I really enjoyed it. He seems to have a knack for making your childhood fears still scary even as an adult. Most of his books are very good.
Also just finished Joe Hill's new book NOS4A2, it was really good. As was his last book, Horns.
Currently reading the new Stephen King, kind of a follow up to The Shining. Its very good so far as well. Altho, disclaimer, he is my favorite author.

What are you guys reading?:read:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
The last thing I read was "The Goliath Stone," by Larry Niven & Matthew Joseph Harrington. Great book, right up there with classic Larry Niven from the '70's-'80's.

I've also read the Grimnoir Chronicles by Larry Correia, a trilogy (Hard Magic, Spellbound & Warbound). Correia also has another series, the Monster Hunter series of books. Correia is a full-blown gun-nut and sci-fi nut who incoporates magic and science in his stories. He's a great new writer.

Non-fiction: Ignition! by John D Clark. An engineer reminisces about the development of rocket fuels. Fantastic book! I never knew so much stuff was hypergolic.

Coiled03

Established Member
Currently reading the new Stephen King, kind of a follow up to The Shining. Its very good so far as well. Altho, disclaimer, he is my favorite author.

Same goes for me on both counts, current book and favorite author.

Shiper

Really Cool Guy
Established Member
I can't get into non fiction man, I like to read to zone out.

Coiled if you like King, Joe Hill is his son, writes in that same vein with more modern context. Horns and the NOS4A2 are both really good. Gaiman is also along those lines. I really like the earlier Chuck Palahniuk, but some of his more recent stuff I couldn't get into

Coiled03

Established Member
I can't get into non fiction man, I like to read to zone out.

Coiled if you like King, Joe Hill is his son, writes in that same vein with more modern context. Horns and the NOS4A2 are both really good. Gaiman is also along those lines. I really like the earlier Chuck Palahniuk, but some of his more recent stuff I couldn't get into

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out.

Stephen King is definitely my favorite "gotta read whatver he writes" author. My other favorites are Lee Child (the Jack Reacher series), Tom Clancy, and Robert Ludlum (Jason Bourne series). Totally different genres from SK, obviously, but I love them.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I listen to a lot of books when I am out of town. I really liked American Sniper by Chris Kyle. It was good. It makes me sad that Whitney Houston get more attention for her OD then this man who was the definition of hero got.

I also like most any book by Micheal Crichton. Timeline, Micro and pirates latitude were all pretty good.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
The Percy Jackson series was a rather entertaining getaway from reality. And no shitthe Hunger Games series. Could not put those bastards down.

Shiper

Really Cool Guy
Established Member
Yeah I've read most of Crichton's books. Like em, don't love em.

Even tho it's old, I just read Ender's Game. Very cool book, not usually into futuristic stuff like that.

hoamskilet

Established Member
In the middle of reading The Outpost by Jake Tapper right now. Hard to comprehend what our men and women in the armed forces went through/are going through in Afghanistan. I think anyone that is gung ho to send our people off to war need to read this book

Last edited:

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
The Beauty and the Sorrow. A history of WW1 through the eyes of common people.
The Ghost Brigade, fun Sci-fi with intriguing uses of technology.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
i bought catcher in the rye about a week ago after watching a really good documentary on jd salinger on tv recently. i never knew the interesting background behind the book, like how salinger went off to war and got really traumatized and came back and wrote catcher in the rye, which was a massive success, and then he completely stopped publishing books as soon as he became famous. i barely remember the book at all so i wanted to read it again

Last edited:

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
If you want to have fun, most of Lee Child's Reacher series will deliver. There's a new one out now, and with 18 books total will keep you busy for awhile.

My favorite read is David Eddings Belgariad (as old as Enders Game). Fun fantasy series (~10 books).

Neil Gaiman's funny as hell (hehe, just finished Good Omens) but really hard to read for me. You need to concentrate or you'll miss whatever effect he manages to get out of the sentences. He does manage, though.

Jack DuBrul's books are all really good, if you like the techno-adventure. ~5 books.

PM me your email address and I'll send you PDF's of some books I've got.

Mike

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Good Omens was the only great book Gaiman was involved with, in my opinion, and I think the greatness of that story was more due to Terry Pratchett's side of the effort. But I will admit to being biased, because Pratchett is my all-time favorite author.

I must have read Good Omens at least ten times.

If you want to have fun, most of Lee Child's Reacher series will deliver. There's a new one out now, and with 18 books total will keep you busy for awhile.

My favorite read is David Eddings Belgariad (as old as Enders Game). Fun fantasy series (~10 books).

Neil Gaiman's funny as hell (hehe, just finished Good Omens) but really hard to read for me. You need to concentrate or you'll miss whatever effect he manages to get out of the sentences. He does manage, though.

Jack DuBrul's books are all really good, if you like the techno-adventure. ~5 books.

PM me your email address and I'll send you PDF's of some books I've got.

Mike

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
I'm not sure what genre of books you may be looking for, but below is the last 12 months of my Amazon.com orders list that I enjoyed.

I highly recommend every one of these books. The Joe Abercrombie stuff is pretty simplistic writing, but the story line is awesome and you get attached to the characters like no other. I was actually pissed off at certain points of the book. I honestly enjoyed the books more than the Game of Thrones series.

First Law ( Book 1-3 ) - Joe Abercrombie
Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
Red Country - Joe Abercrombie
The Heros - Joe Abercrombie

The Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks

Century of the Soldier (Monarchies of God) - Paul Kearney
Hawkwood and the Kings (Monarchies of God) - Paul Kearney

Winterbirth (The Godless World) - Brian Ruckley
Bloodheir (Godless World #2) - Brian Ruckley
Fall of Thanes (The Godless World) - Brian Ruckley

Game Of Thrones Book 1-5

Anyone else read any of these? :beer:

Last edited:

Shiper

Really Cool Guy
Established Member
I read game of thrones, liked it a lot. Haven't heard much of the other authors.

James you didn't like American Gods? Or Coraline, even tho it's almost aimed at children? I agree good omens is excellent tho

Users who are viewing this thread