Good Books

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Were having kind of an early grab bag at work, and we are all suppose to pick a few items under $25 bucks. I haven't read any good books lately, so I am looking for some suggestions to add to my list. Help me out guys.

JPD5801

Established Member
What do you like to read? IMO you cannot go wrong with Tom Clancy. Also, I have heard that Vince Flinn is an excellent choice if you are in to counter-terrorism fiction.

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
probably one of my favorite books i've ever read, even though it is a small list, it may be good to you or not depending on your tastes

Under and Alone by William Queen.

The true story of the undercover agent who infiltrated america's most violent outlaw motorcycle gang

its an autobiography of his time spent in the Mongols motorcycle gang

In 1998, William Queen was a veteran law enforcement agent with a lifelong love of motorcycles and a lack of patience with paperwork. When a "confidential informant" made contact with his boss at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, offering to take an agent inside the San Fernando chapter of the Mongols (the scourge of Southern California, and one of the most dangerous gangs in America), Queen jumped at the chance, not realizing that he was kicking-starting the most extensive undercover operation inside an outlaw motorcycle gang in the history of American law enforcement.

Nor did Queen suspect that he would penetrate the gang so successfully that he would become a fully "patched-in" member, eventually rising through their ranks to the office of treasurer, where he had unprecedented access to evidence of their criminal activity. After Queen spent twenty-eight months as "Billy St. John," the bearded, beer-swilling, Harley-riding gang-banger, the truth of his identity became blurry, even to himself.

During his initial "prospecting" phase, Queen was at the mercy of crank-fueled criminal psychopaths who sought to have him test his mettle and prove his fealty by any means necessary, from selling (and doing) drugs, to arms trafficking, stealing motorcycles, driving getaway cars, and, in one shocking instance, stitching up the face of a Mongol "ol' lady" after a particularly brutal beating at the hands of her boyfriend.

Yet despite the constant criminality of the gang, for whom planning cop killings and gang rapes were business as usual, Queen also came to see the genuine camaraderie they shared. When his lengthy undercover work totally isolated Queen fromfamily, his friends, and ATF colleagues, the Mongols felt like the only family he had left. "I had no doubt these guys genuinely loved Billy St. John and would have laid down their lives for him. But they wouldn't hesitate to murder Billy Queen."

From Queen's first sleight of hand with a line of methamphetamine in front of him and a knife at his throat, to the fearsome face-off with their decades-old enemy, the Hell's Angels (a brawl that left three bikers dead), to the heartbreaking scene of a father ostracized at Parents' Night because his deranged-outlaw appearance precluded any interaction with regular citizens, Under and Alone is a breathless, adrenaline-charged read that puts you on the street with some of the most dangerous men in America and with the law enforcement agents who risk everything to bring them in.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ean=9780345487520&pwb=1&z=y

Last edited:

kaotic

Established Member
If your a business major, if you haven't already read Freakonomics by Steven Levitt.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

It details a bunch of groups going up Mount Everest. I forget the year, but it is a true story and many of the people ended up dying. It's one of my fav. books.

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
What is the Vince Flinn book called? Has anybody read Art of War?

Thanks guys, keep them coming.

PJM99

Established Member
I read a lot. Some of my favorite reads over that past few years…..

Da Vinci Code
Angels & Demons
Deception Point
Digital Fortress
Timeline
Velocity
False Memory
The Face

super302

Established Member
Atlas Shrugged

I've had it sitting next to me for about 5 weeks and i havent opened it yet...i heard its good though

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Angels and Demons was one of my favorites. Most of Dan Brown's stuff has generally the same plot: (i.e. damsel in distress comforted by a man while partaking in some kind of mystery or suspense).

I am also a huge fan of the Splinter Cell books. I've always had a fascination with the CIA/SPY stuff and those books are kick ass.

birch

Go 'Eers!
Established Member
I haven't read many books lately, but The Broker by John Grisham is pretty dang good. An older one that is probably my favorite is Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy..if you're into war type of books.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Anything Grisham is pretty good. The Brotherhood of War series by W.E.B. Griffin.

BlackGT03

Established Member
The Lords of Discipline, Pat Conroy wrote it, I read it in Highschool and have read it about 3 times again since. Love it.

The Alienist by Caleb Carr was an awesome one also.

Both of these are fiction.

Azar

Established Member
I am Legend by Richard Mathison
Fight Club by Chuck Palithuck *sp, i know*
Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden

Those 3 are so friggin money, you don't even know.

merc lover

Established Member
Animal Farm
Farenheight 451
The Illustrated Man
Brave New World
Unintended Consequences

Double T

Established Member
TurdFerguson said:
probably one of my favorite books i've ever read, even though it is a small list, it may be good to you or not depending on your tastes

Under and Alone by William Queen.

The true story of the undercover agent who infiltrated america's most violent outlaw motorcycle gang

its an autobiography of his time spent in the Mongols motorcycle gang

In 1998, William Queen was a veteran law enforcement agent with a lifelong love of motorcycles and a lack of patience with paperwork. When a "confidential informant" made contact with his boss at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, offering to take an agent inside the San Fernando chapter of the Mongols (the scourge of Southern California, and one of the most dangerous gangs in America), Queen jumped at the chance, not realizing that he was kicking-starting the most extensive undercover operation inside an outlaw motorcycle gang in the history of American law enforcement.

Nor did Queen suspect that he would penetrate the gang so successfully that he would become a fully "patched-in" member, eventually rising through their ranks to the office of treasurer, where he had unprecedented access to evidence of their criminal activity. After Queen spent twenty-eight months as "Billy St. John," the bearded, beer-swilling, Harley-riding gang-banger, the truth of his identity became blurry, even to himself.

During his initial "prospecting" phase, Queen was at the mercy of crank-fueled criminal psychopaths who sought to have him test his mettle and prove his fealty by any means necessary, from selling (and doing) drugs, to arms trafficking, stealing motorcycles, driving getaway cars, and, in one shocking instance, stitching up the face of a Mongol "ol' lady" after a particularly brutal beating at the hands of her boyfriend.

Yet despite the constant criminality of the gang, for whom planning cop killings and gang rapes were business as usual, Queen also came to see the genuine camaraderie they shared. When his lengthy undercover work totally isolated Queen fromfamily, his friends, and ATF colleagues, the Mongols felt like the only family he had left. "I had no doubt these guys genuinely loved Billy St. John and would have laid down their lives for him. But they wouldn't hesitate to murder Billy Queen."

From Queen's first sleight of hand with a line of methamphetamine in front of him and a knife at his throat, to the fearsome face-off with their decades-old enemy, the Hell's Angels (a brawl that left three bikers dead), to the heartbreaking scene of a father ostracized at Parents' Night because his deranged-outlaw appearance precluded any interaction with regular citizens, Under and Alone is a breathless, adrenaline-charged read that puts you on the street with some of the most dangerous men in America and with the law enforcement agents who risk everything to bring them in.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ean=9780345487520&pwb=1&z=y
Just finished reading this last week. Very good book. That guy had must have had a big set of balls to ride undercover for that long.
On another note, the Bourne Identity series by Robert Ludlum is excellent. The books are different from the movies. The first 3 in the series (Bourne Identity, Bourne Supremacy, & Bourne Ultimatum) were written by Mr. Ludlum. There is a 4th one (Bourne Legacy) that was authorized by his estate and written by someone else but it was no where near as good.:read:

BlueBlizzard

Banned
help

If your into law , John Grisham I believe thats how you spell his name. He is a talented author. A Time to Kill .... is an excellent book.

Users who are viewing this thread