gonna install a bap without dial do I need to tune after?

svtaddict

Established Member
I just bought a 40 amp bap. Used here without the dial. Can I install it always on without the dial and drive it or do I need a tune just to run the bap. Getting parts together slowly to buy a whipple in a couple months. Just wanted to know if it's gonna mess with my tune. Thanks in advance. Oh and I also have the wiring upgrade.

svtaddict

Established Member
tuner said my pumps were running like at .49. said they were almost maxed out.

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member
Solder the two wires for the BAP dial together, that makes it work at 100%, all the time. Your pumps should modulate, based on pressure anyway.

No matter what, if you make changes, you should always have the tune checked.

cj428mach

Established Member
As far as AFR the car should run the same as the returnless system is going to keep Fuel pressure the same. Where the tune could really help is avoiding the dreaded hesitation on shifts.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Yes. Without the dial the pumps are pumping with added voltage all the time. The car will be running pig rich unless it was very lean before.

cj428mach

Established Member
Yes. Without the dial the pumps are pumping with added voltage all the time. The car will be running pig rich unless it was very lean before.

Explain.

The returnless system modulates the pumps to keep the pressure the same. It would see the extra pressure at a different voltage and then compensate for it by lowering voltage to the pumps to get the desired pressure drop across the injectors.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I had to disconnect my BAP after switching to GT pumps. The car ran like crap with the BAP hooked up. It was running crazy rich. After disconnecting my BAP the car ran normal until I got it retuned to perfection.

cj428mach

Established Member
The GT pumps in themselves require tuning but I believe the car should learn over time what they flow given a certain voltage. I can tell you my base tune from Lasota racing had no changes over stock for my BAP and I was not rich. The only thing you tweak on a returnless system really is the fuel pump voltage table which is the amount of fuel flowed at a certain voltage. This table is only used when the computer loses its memory because after that it begins to adapt the table to hit its targets.

Users who are viewing this thread