Gone are the days of the single Diesel tip!

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Gone are the days of the single Diesel tip!
DSC_0351.jpg

DSC_0349-1.jpg

It leaked, rattled, rusted, and drove me to distraction, so at Mopac's 2009 Boxing Day sale I picked up a Borla catback for $630 (15% off).

14872_med.jpg

Just before my unscheduled 5 day trip to Victoria, Keith and I remedied the source of my ire, hammer, chisel, and sawzall were employed before the stubborn thing would fall off. Within 20 mintues ofthe final crash of the discarded Magnaflow, a shiny new Borla Catback had taken it's place.

Shown here next to the other Borla side exit exhaust I own
DSC_0775.jpg

Here's the the old system; dual 2.5" into a single 3" exit Magnaflow muffler, single 2.5" crush bent tailpipe and 4" recycled Diesel exhaust tip. I counted 5 different places where this system leaked, explaining the misfire/detonation sounds I heard at certain RPM, all that is gone now.

DSC_0783.jpg

DSC_0784.jpg

In the words of Keith:

"That sh!t's custom!"

DSC_0785.jpg

DSC_0791.jpg

DSC_0790.jpg

DSC_0787.jpg

DSC_0788.jpg

DSC_0789.jpg

All that is better now:

DSC_0779.jpg

DSC_0778.jpg

DSC_0782.jpg

It sounds quite good too, similar to the volume of the magnaflow but so much smoother. Headers and Catless mids to follow towards spring once I have the time to get it tuned soon after.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
You should be even more pleased once you can open it up. Surely the previous setup was a real botteneck.

Z7What

Powered By Eaton
Established Member
I agree the dual tips on the L looks better then the single diesel tip, but i personally love it on my truck. I think it fits alot more than on a L.

DSC01469.gif

Wayne

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Nice! Your old exhaust is in about the same condition as the one on my SVO, you could fit a golfball through the hole in the muffler!

J-Rod76

2001 Lightning
Established Member
I've seen a few single pipes that have looked good, but I still think the duals look the best.

I have the same cat back you do... it sounds great but good luck keeping the tips clean.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Thanks for the comments guys, it's difficult for me to understand how someone could actually think that single system was a good idea. The remainder of the truck was so well cared for, but that exhaust was crap.

Winterforce's FTW indeed, second set I've owned, very good performance for the $130 (CDN) price tag. I expected to need weight to plant the back end but this setup is just fine with an empty box.

Can wait for spring temperatures when I can actually got to WOT and hear what this setup sounds like.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Funny story behind them actually.

The fellow I purchased them from was an unassuming, older white haired gentleman, who I met as a member of the local chapter of the SVTOA when it was still running. Anyway in 2001 he had purchased a new silver Lightning, modded it, then proceeded to shave all the badges, retrofit 99 taillights, install F150 XLT badges and depending on his mood, he'd put these Expedition wheels on with All season tires.

He would then proceed to drive around harassing sportscar owners at stoplights with his "F150" There was one time he quite handily outran another Lightning owner, who was completely floored until he told him what was up at the next light. Something to be said when a little white haired old man pulls up at a light and says "want to race?"

For me it's a simple matter of function over form, and they certainly look better than a set of black steelies. Much like the decision to get a Lightning, when the time came to purchase a new daily driver, the Wife suggested a truck would be useful. With that, I went and bought a truck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread