Going from an f1a to turbo?

vic_s197

Established Member
Right now I'm running an f1a cogged at 18-19 psi at 6000 rpms it's making 700 rwhp and 610 for torque, the cars on e85 with a 302 stroker on 10.0:1 compression and blower cams, IV always liked the idea of going with a turbo setup for this car specially since I will be going with a 4r70w auto in the spring. There is a guy at my work that wants to buy my setup with the cams so no issue there, has anybody gone from a procharger to turbo? What's the pros and cons to running a turbo over a centri? My cars an 05 gt , it's a 50/50 street track car so I want a good setup for the track but also be able to outrun some cars on the street and the procharger doesn't have low end torque I'm looking for. What do u guys think?

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
i went from a YSI to a turbo setup
its nice not having belt issues anymore but, the car has lost a bit of stop light swagger. The turbo is way more violent and is a more difficult setup to dial in.

Stanger00

Established Member
All I know is if I were going to go turbo I will run a single billet wheel, BB precision turbo. They hit hard down low and dont let up if it is spec'd right for the motor combo. They have a few different flange setups for 76mm size.

AED did a custom hot and cold side with a 3 valve motor that is 8.5:1 compression and got nearly 670 with 15 psi and 104 octane, IIRC. With E-85 its probably in the 730-740hp range with a 4R70W. I'm not sure if they changed to a turbo friendly cam either.

I seen it run a 9.6X and that was with some problems with the transbrake and 2 step.

No matter what your car will be an animal.

Last edited:

vic_s197

Established Member
I'm not to familiar with turbos too much but don't they hit full boost alot sooner then the centri? With a proper sized turbo? Since I'm going auto in a couple months I think it would be a better setup with a turbo then with then f1a wouldn't it? There's a guy with a 76 mm turbo s197 making 750 rwhp he's gonna take me for a spin Friday to see the difference from the 2.

vic_s197

Established Member
Iv seen a lot of mustangs running precision 7675 turbo with good results, I figure with the compression I'm running and e85 with the auto would be a pretty good setup.

Stanger00

Established Member
Then you don't want to go turbo.

Turbo may not hit hard like a TS or roots but when it does the torque will maintain a pretty flat curve. Its all in the setup.

I'm not to familiar with turbos too much but don't they hit full boost alot sooner then the centri? With a proper sized turbo? Since I'm going auto in a couple months I think it would be a better setup with a turbo then with then f1a wouldn't it? There's a guy with a 76 mm turbo s197 making 750 rwhp he's gonna take me for a spin Friday to see the difference from the 2.

The turbo spools up faster and once the wastegate kicks in you are at max boost. I'd imagine you would see full spool by 4k rpms and carry that boost all the way to your shift point :rockon:

vic_s197

Established Member
I just want something with more torque and don't have to rev the shit out of it to get it moving cuz these cars are kinda heavy, and this summer coming I want to break into the 9's up here that's why I'm going auto.

Stanger00

Established Member
Hard getting a heavy stick car in the 9's that kind of power. Bet it was a handful on shifts. The auto will help big time. Skip the ECU controlled auto and just go FMVB. I am ECU controlled and with 600hp it misses shifts all the time because of wheel spin.

vic_s197

Established Member
The best iv went is 11.7 at 125 on 18' with drag radials and ran out of gear right before the traps so just cruised it in (4.10's) shifting at 5800 rpm. It's still has a lot left in it with rev limiter set at 6000 and 13 degrees of time I'm still on the break in tune. I'm still stuck on going mvb or full auto, I rode around in my brothers mvb f100 didn't like it too much

95snake03

Established Member
I'd go with the mvb just set it up how you like but it's going to be a pain with the stock ecu. You'll love the turbo, don't worry about torque

w3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Established Member
A properly sized turbo will make a flat torque curve. On my dyno sheet mine made over 450 ft lbs from 3500 to redline and 499 peak. So it made 90% peak tq. from 3500 on. Granted the spool is better under load on the street but that is with a stick set up, not an automatic. Its all in the turbo sizing and cam set up.

Also a buddy on another forum is running a billet 6766 precision on an 11:1 E85 build. His made 700 hp 788 ft lbs on 17-18#. Obviously you could run a larger frame 76 and with a stall the spool would be there and make more power per lb of boost.

Last edited:

vic_s197

Established Member
A properly sized turbo will make a flat torque curve. On my dyno sheet mine made over 450 ft lbs from 3500 to redline and 499 peak. So it made 90% peak tq. from 3500 on. Granted the spool is better under load on the street but that is with a stick set up, not an automatic. Its all in the turbo sizing and cam set up.

Also a buddy on another forum is running a billet 6766 precision on an 11:1 E85 build. His made 700 hp 788 ft lbs on 17-18#. Obviously you could run a larger frame 76 and with a stall the spool would be there and make more power per lb of boost.

How do u like your turbo man? That's fuels car ur talking about right? That thing is pretty sweet. I think he's going auto also he's making a shit ton of torque.

w3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Established Member
How do u like your turbo man? That's fuels car ur talking about right? That thing is pretty sweet. I think he's going auto also he's making a shit ton of torque.

I'm loving mine! I'm currently building a shortblock for it so I can turn up the boost safely. I'm hoping for similar power that Fuel is making. I'm planning on E85 as well

w3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Established Member
I'm just going to be running 9.4:1 unless something changes. Should only cause a little bit of hp loss but yes same size turbo, just a comp instead of precision

vic_s197

Established Member
Il let u no man, I'm goin for a spin in a turbo s197 that rwr has on Friday if I like it I will prolly switch over

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
I just want something with more torque and don't have to rev the shit out of it to get it moving cuz these cars are kinda heavy, and this summer coming I want to break into the 9's up here that's why I'm going auto.

9's are ****ing hauling at Bandimere

You ever cruise college in FoCO to pick on cars on the weekend nights? There are a couple quick cars out every once in a while but most of the time it's easy pickings

Users who are viewing this thread