Going built with stock heads?

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
Just throwing a question out there...if you go built with the shortblock and a set of cams but keep your stock heads how much power would be lost by retaining the stock heads? Ive seen post were guys say about 80hp is gained by heads/cams combos but I havent found anything giving a number for just heads. Im building on a budget somewhat and Im looking at all options.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Depending on how good the port is and a lot of other factors you could be looking at 30hp or more. I'd save my money until I could afford to do it once and do it right.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Like Sid said, if you can wait to go built, do it all at once.. its not just the lower power potential, its also the work involved in going back in to do just a head swap.. its easier to just drop in a long block, ready to rock, especially if your going to be using head studs.

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
Unfortunately I know from personal experience... all it once and done right is the way to go.

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
There is no cheap way to do a modular ford. If I had to choose a "cheap" route.. I'd fully balance the stock rods and go with ported heads / cams. Then keep the rpms under 6k. But even at that... I'd personally have one eye squinted every time I went to red line.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread