GM's answer to the Raptor???

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Looks great, but as stated it's just a concept and would be niche vehicle. Ford is in the position to do such things, GM on the other hand needs to stick their bread and butter products that make them money....

These kind of vehicles make LOTS of money for the car companies. Optioned out/niche models rake in the coin.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
These kind of vehicles make LOTS of money for the car companies. Optioned out/niche models rake in the coin.

uhh last time i checked its the base models and fleet sales that make the profits, the optioned/special models is what garners interest in a brand/model.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
uhh last time i checked its the base models and fleet sales that make the profits, the optioned/special models is what garners interest in a brand/model.

Maybe in terms of total profit, but not on a per vehicle basis, hell no. Base and fleet models pay the bills. The loaded ones make them money.

Example #1: The Ford GT - Probably didn't make Ford much money at all, but got them a lot of publicity. This was a totally new car, designed from the ground up = lots of R&D/tooling costs. This is your point I think you are trying to make.

Eample #2 The Shelby GT500 - Makes for a ton of money and publicity over the base mustang, because they are 'optioning up' an existing model with minimal R&D/tooling when compared against a completely new platform. This is where a trucks like this Sierra/Raptor fall. They love to sell things like this = $$$$

Last edited:

JJs89lx

In the making.....
Established Member
Raptor 4Dr? Did not see it on Fords Site.

saw a silver one the other day... Looks the same, just a little longer truck. But still looks good imho, A lot better than that chevy, although I do like the exhaust tips in the bumper. Just curious how warm the bumper will be after a good drive in the truck.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
4dr raptor has been out aslong as the 6.2 has.
GMC looks cool, but I dunno, I wouldn't wheel it.
And I wheeled a friggen 93 Buick Park Ave!

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

Yeah it's a margin rich vehicle, but I was referring to total units, it will never have the production numbers or sales to put GM in the black. I understand a vehicle like this would create buzz that will generate sales leads, folks going to dealerships to check it out and perhaps buy another vehicle out of the lineup.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Yeah it's a margin rich vehicle, but it will never have the production numbers or sales to put GM in the black. On the plus side a vehicle like this would create buzz that will generate sales leads, folks going to dealerships to check it out and perhaps buy another vehicle out of the lineup.

GM will already easily be in the black this fiscal year from an operations standpoint, but I agree that these small niche vehicles don't keep these big guys in business.

Jroc

Established Member
seems like all chevy does is copy ford lately, started with the 05 retro mustang than they decided to do it too

Exactly!!!

I was just about to say this. **** GM! All they every do is copy other peoples ideals. They come up with nothing(NOTHING) original thats worth a damn. Not in recent history, and not so much in the past either. When they do try and get original it becomes some stupid flop like the Chevy SSR.(because everyone could use a drop top truck)

Lets see the Colbalt SS was a copy of the SVT Focus, and/or SRT4 for an American sports compact. New retro Camaro is just coping Fords idea for a retro Mustang. SC'ing all these new cars is something they've picked up from Ford. CTS-V is a copy of the German high performance sedans, and the list goes on.

Don't get me wrong GM can make great products, but they are pathetically unoriginal.

Last edited:

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Thinking about this more.. I see this sierra as something they tried a few years back on the WRONG platform.. IF they had done it on the full sizes at the time and continued it would have sold lots.

94-03 s-10 ZR2.. 3" lift, wider track, 31" BFG tires, fender flares, skid plates etc.. They were a cool little truck, but the S10 platform just had too many weaknesses and bugs..

If they had incorporated this into the fullsizes way back then, both 1/2 and 3/4 ton versions (instead of the lame sticker Z71) they coulda moved quite a few I think.

Go to the duramax forums and see what those boys do to their trucks, and go to the powerstroke forums and see what they do.. More or less what is pictured here.. Little bit of lift, little bit bigger tires, and different offset wheels to widen the stance up some. Exactly what I have done to my F350.

Another reason to throw it on the HD chassis is the new EPA/CAFE standards coming. They are going to cover SUV's and 1/2 ton trucks that were excluded before. The over 8600lb crowd will still be exempt. Good luck getting that Raptor to get any kind of fuel mileage!

Picture039-2.jpg

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Exactly!!!

I was just about to say this. **** GM! All they every do is copy other peoples ideals. They come up with nothing(NOTHING) original thats worth a damn. Not in recent history, and not so much in the past either. When they do try and get original it becomes some stupid flop like the Chevy SSR.(because everyone could use a drop top truck)

Lets see the Colbalt SS was a copy of the SVT Focus, and/or SRT4 for an American sports compact. New retro Camaro is just coping Fords idea for a retro Mustang. SC'ing all these new cars is something they've picked up from Ford. CTS-V is a copy of the German high performance sedans, and the list goes on.

Don't get me wrong GM can make great products, but they are pathetically unoriginal.

You argument is lame. Cobalt a copy of the Focus? The imports had been offering cars like that years before the B3 did.

Ripping off SC from Ford? Like they invented the use of FI. Lay off the cool aid man.

CTS-V a copy of the German sedans??? At least they offer something worth buying, unlike Lincoln. WTF has Lincoln had in the last 30yrs worth a damn? Oh yea, they badge engineer straight from the Ford models?

SSR was definitely a flop, but so was the lame ass retro Thunderbird from a few years back.

Using your reasoning, basically eveyone has copied eveyone at some point in time.

They made the first American 2 door sports car and created the muscle car for the masses. Like it or not, much of what is on the road today is because of GM. The blind hate is strong in this thread.

Last edited:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
4dr raptor has been out aslong as the 6.2 has.
That's not entirely accurate.

For the 2010 MY the Raptor was only available as a super-cab truck with either a 5.4 or the optional 6.2 (when it was finally released). For MY 2011 the Raptor is available as either a super-cab or a crew-cab with the 6.2 being the only engine available.

Jroc

Established Member
You argument is lame. Cobalt a copy of the Focus? The imports had been offering cars like that years before the B3 did.

Ripping of SC from Ford? Like they invented the use of FI. Lay off the cool aid man.

CTS-V a copy of the German sedans??? At least they offer something worth buying, unlike Lincoln. WTF has Lincoln had in the last 30yrs worth a damn? Oh yea, they badge engineer straight from the Ford models?

SSR was definitely a flop, but so was the lame ass retro Thunderbird from a few years back.

Using your reasoning, basically eveyone has copied eveyone at some point in time.

They made the first American 2 door sports car and created the muscle car for the masses. Like it or not, much of what is on the road today is because of GM. The blind hate is strong in this thread.

And yours if flawed. Everything GM has that's cool is a copy of someone elses shit other than maybe Corvette. Don't beat around the bush, and deny it. It is. Man up to it. Your blind loyalty is strong in every thread.

How about this GM copied FoMoCo's Lincoln Navigator, and make the Caddy Escalade. They also copied the Lincoln LS, and made the CTS.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
And yours if flawed. Everything GM has that's cool is a copy of someone elses shit other than maybe Corvette. Don't beat around the bush, and deny it. It is. Man up to it. Your blind loyalty is strong in every thread.

How about this GM copied FoMoCo's Lincoln Navigator, and make the Caddy Escalade. They also copied the Lincoln LS, and made the CTS.

What is so original about eveything Ford launches?

The Luxury SUV wasn't invented by Ford. Obviously the Escalade did much better, because you see 10 of them for every 1 Navi
The failed LS didn't spawn the CTS. Again, one obviously did much better in the marketplace.
The Raptor isn't the first off road truck, just the best one on the market right now.
The Mustang wasn't the first muscle car. It started out as a 6 cyl womens car, not a performance one. The creation of the Camaro helped turn it into the car it is today.
The list goes on and on

If it's cool, I like. No matter who the hell makes it. I don't give two shits if some other maker made one first. Who the hell cars? The automobile has been around for a 100 yrs. There is NOTHING original about any car/truck offered today, that hasn't been offered at some point in the past. Just new and improved versions of the past

Sn95Snake

Established Member
The exhaust going through the bumper is to heat the tailgate so it keeps your hands warm when you have to push it out of the mud. :D

Jroc

Established Member
What is so original about eveything Ford launches?

The Luxury SUV wasn't invented by Ford. Obviously the Escalade did much better, because you see 10 of them for every 1 Navi
The failed LS didn't spawn the CTS. Again, one obviously did much better in the marketplace.
The Raptor isn't the first off road truck, just the best one on the market right now.
The Mustang wasn't the first muscle car. It started out as a 6 cyl womens car, not a performance one. The creation of the Camaro helped turn it into the car it is today.
The list goes on and on

If it's cool, I like. No matter who the hell makes it. I don't give two shits if some other maker made one first. Who the hell cars? The automobile has been around for a 100 yrs. There is NOTHING original about any car/truck offered today, that hasn't been offered at some point in the past. Just new and improved versions of the past

I agree all those rappers, and gangsta's do prefer the Escalades to the Navi's as the spinners look better on them. Mustang started the Pony car. GM's American division isn't even good enough to develop, or build their v8 cars other than Corvette. The Lincoln LS did ok for a while.

Oh yeah, and GM is basically owned by Barack Obama regardless of what the man tells you. He straight fired the CEO of possibly the largest American company there is. They took billions upon billions upon billions of the US tax dollars.

Don't get me wrong I don't really care that GM is doing this, and I fully expect it because that's what they do.(take other peoples idea's, and try and one up them) I'm just in a very bad mood today, and feel like arguing, and talking some shit.

Still GM is the most unoriginal company out there. Even more so than Toyota.

BTW GM copied the PT Cruise with their little goofy looking retro Chevy HHR.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread