GMC Syclone

Cobra228

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting my Cobra a garage buddy. My neighbor is selling his 91 Syclone with 18k. All original, no paintwork. He is the second owner and its been garaged its whole life. Minus a few minor scratches on the bed its pretty well mint. Does anyone know the value of these things? I've searched the net and the prices are all over the place. Like the Cobra, I've always thought it was bad ass and I've always wanted one.

Terminator-Fox

Soon...
Established Member
I vow to have one of these in my stable one day. Like you said the value is all over the place depending on condition. Based on what you said without seeing pics on the market that truck would be able to fetch anywhere from 10k-16k I think.

buddha93

Established Member
Those things were really quick back in the day, but IIRC had a lot of problems under the hood.

As far as price, ya got me. I would research the hell out of it and use your best judgment. It sounds really cherry, so I would expect to pay a fair amount of cash.

Cobra228

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
this is the only pic I have. its taken from my phone and doesn't do the truck justice. He's asking 18 but I think I can talk him down a bit. I feel like 15 is good money, 16 would be all of it.

IMG00360-20100701-160172.jpg

99BOSS

Established Member
Supposedly they were cantankerous, especially when modded. Only had a 500 lb bed capacity due to possibly damaging the AWD system and had a sticker on tailgate to warn you. The AWD system came out of a AWD Safari minivan at the time. I talked to a guy that had one and he was always fixing and fiddling with it. He took it in for warranty work once and no one at that GMC dealer was checked off to work on one. He had to drive somewhere else to get it fixed. Not that any of that would pertain to you though. He finally had enough and sold it. The preproduction trucks were really quick but the production models were slower to keep warranty repairs down. I dont even know if GMC used forged internals on that 4.3. I doubt it since this was 91 or so. If this truck is original and in great shape, Id think it would have some collector status but values on things like that are just whatever someone thinks its worth or is willing to pay.

GN1986

Established Member
I would actually consider trading my GN for that if it's cherry. You get GN performance with a bigger block and all wheel drive. My GN has a stroker in it and is now a 4 liter instead of the 3.8 but if you can buy that truck you'd have one of the greatest cars/trucks GM has ever produced.

oilwell1415

Established Member
If this truck is original and in great shape, Id think it would have some collector status but values on things like that are just whatever someone thinks its worth or is willing to pay.

^^^^That. Those don't come up for sale very often, especially in such good shape. It's worth what he will take for it.

99BOSS

Established Member
I still have the mag where the then new Syclone raced the 348 Ferrari in a drag race and barely edged it out. The sport truck boom was just taking off then and GMC had the most exotic setup. I looked at a brand new one back then just to see it and it had a 28K sticker! A new 91 vette with a LT1 back then was 26K.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Supposedly they were cantankerous, especially when modded. Only had a 500 lb bed capacity due to possibly damaging the AWD system and had a sticker on tailgate to warn you. The AWD system came out of a AWD Safari minivan at the time. I talked to a guy that had one and he was always fixing and fiddling with it. He took it in for warranty work once and no one at that GMC dealer was checked off to work on one. He had to drive somewhere else to get it fixed. Not that any of that would pertain to you though. He finally had enough and sold it. The preproduction trucks were really quick but the production models were slower to keep warranty repairs down. I dont even know if GMC used forged internals on that 4.3. I doubt it since this was 91 or so. If this truck is original and in great shape, Id think it would have some collector status but values on things like that are just whatever someone thinks its worth or is willing to pay.

Spot on, tranny's were terrible too and they really were not that fast from the factory. Over 5'09 it's a tight fit

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
its cherry with really low miles its worth a few bucks! over $10k for sure, well, in this market, who knows...:bored:

my buddy had a super clean typhoon that had about 60k on it. he sold that for $10k a couple of years ago. i actually almost bought it. i always like the typhoons better but i think the syclones were more popular since they were lighter.

S. Jersey Stang

Established Member
Had one of each (Syclone, Typhoon) and they are awesome and half the people out there don't know what the hell just pulled up next to them.

They are very cool, can be pretty fast, but have lots of little annoying nuances that add up to time and money spent....
If you are going to keep it completely stock and just use it as a nice weather driver, more than likely you won't have too much trouble with it. One of the first things I would do, especially since it probably sat alot is pick up a silicone vacuum line kit and redo them all, since they tend to wear down and that leads to vacuum leaks......
And do not get into an accident and screw up the ground effects at all, unless you want to pay a pretty penny to replace them. They are getting harder and harder to come by.

As for pricing, it is all over the place. If it is bone stock, and the paint is still in good shape, its going to be on the top end of the scale right now.
I don't think I would go to 18K on it, but I think 15K is somewhat reasonable.
These things have been dropping like rocks in the last 5 or so years though.

sy808.jpg

ty449.jpg

Cobra228

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
I haven't driven it yet but I'm really looking forward to it. I will have to sell my M3 to come up with the rest of the funds. My only real concern is having another low mileage collector that I'm afraid to rack up the miles on. I'm just a sucker for unique 80's and 90's vehicles. I miss my old 86 SVO 9L. Most new cars on the market just don't interest me......definitely nothing under 20 grand. I just keep imagining walking into the garage seeing a black cobra next to a black Syclone. My girlfriend doesn't get it!

oilwell1415

Established Member
Spot on, tranny's were terrible too and they really were not that fast from the factory. Over 5'09 it's a tight fit

What? Reality check time. The tranny was the proven TH700 and there are plenty of Astro vans running around with 383's that have no problems with the drivetrain. Modded there were issues, but that's the case with every vehicle ever made. If you put enough power through an auto trans it gets hot and burns up.

They ran 13's at a time when the only other domestic vehicles that would outrun them were the second gen ZR-1 and the Viper, which both cost 2-3 times as much.

I used to drive an early 90's S-10 all the time and had no problem fitting in it at 5-11 and about 240-50. It belonged to a friend's girl. He's about 6'2 and also had no problems fitting.

Users who are viewing this thread