GM synchomesh fluid

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
Is there any other place I can get this fluid for less than $11 a QT ? The local GM dealerships want an arm for this stuff.

Thanks
Tom

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Tom, GM synchomesh is made by Penzoil for GM. Penzoil also uses the exact same fluid under their own label. You can get Penzoil synchomesh from Autozone for about $6.50 a quart.

There's just something about putting anything GM in my Cobra that doesn't seem right......

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
IronTerp said:
Tom, GM synchomesh is made by Penzoil for GM. Penzoil also uses the exact same fluid under their own label. You can get Penzoil synchomesh from Autozone for about $6.50 a quart.

There's just something about putting anything GM in my Cobra that doesn't seem right......

I agree its like two boys sharing a toothbrush...:nonono:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I've always been a fan of Cobra'03 and applaud you for finding that old post but I now respectfully disagree with him regarding fluid for our T56

for one thing, the Synchromesh that Glenn was talking about in that post was not the synthetic blend......in fact, Amsoil offers a full synthetic Synchromesh now and they list T56 as approved application

also, there was not much experience at the time with the carbon fiber friction material used in our version of the T56

Liberty's Gears is my transmission shop and they recommend it...I have posted on my experiences in other threads with Redline D4 and MTL....still not sure what caused my blocker rings to swell, but since rebuild it has been fine

Liberty even soaks everything overnight in Synchromesh before assembly

myoilshop.com is where I still buy Redline gear lube and D4 for my other vehicles...they raised prices to $8/qt now

Last edited:

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
JB said:
I've always been a fan of Cobra'03 and applaud you for finding that old post but I now respectfully disagree with him regarding fluid for our T56

the Synchromesh that Glenn was talking about in that post was not the synthetic blend......in fact, Amsoil offers a full synthetic Synchromesh now

where can I buy it?

Tom

JB said:

the Synchromesh that Glenn was talking about in that post was not the synthetic blend......in fact, Amsoil offers a full synthetic Synchromesh now

Liberty's Gears is my transmission shop and they recommend it...I have posted on my experiences in other threads with Redline D4 and MTL....still not sure what caused my carbon fiber blocker rings to swell but since rebuild, it has been fine

myoilshop.com is where I still buy Redline gear lube and D4 for my other vehicles...they raised prices to $8/qt now

I'm glad you chimed in because that was a very old thread and there are always new conclusions being drawn.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
01cobravortech said:
I'm glad you chimed in because that was a very old thread and there are always new conclusions being drawn.

you're welcome!

I'm an advocate of using old threads because we did hash out a lot of subjects very thoroughly in the beginning years of these cars, but as you said, they often require updating with more current knowledge

anyone who wants to learn more about motor oil or the 5W-20 recommendation from Ford should read up on Cobra'03's posts....he was the first to point out the EPA connection

Last edited:

MVD

Established Member
Tom's_03SVT said:
does royal purple make decent trans fluid, anybody using that?

Tom

When I spoke with Liberty's they recommended against using Royal Purple Synchromax. Instead, they recommended GM Synchromesh.

Juiced-03

Established Member
JB said:

for one thing, the Synchromesh that Glenn was talking about in that post was not the synthetic blend......in fact, Amsoil offers a full synthetic Synchromesh now and they list T56 as approved application

also, there was not much experience at the time with the carbon fiber friction material used in our version of the T56

Liberty's Gears is my transmission shop and they recommend it...I have posted on my experiences in other threads with Redline D4 and MTL....still not sure what caused my blocker rings to swell, but since rebuild it has been fine

I'm not sure if you are recommending D4, but I had terrible luck with that stuff. My tranny had never been more difficult to shift than with the D4. Syncromesh is far better in my opinion.

I'm going to try the Royal Purple next time.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
no, I use Synchromesh as Liberty recommends; changed annually.......I buy GM part# 12345349, which is partially synthetic and retails for about $8/qt at discount dealers

I used D4 in 2003 and feel that it has a coefficient of friction that's too low for good synchro ring speed-matching and the same is true for a lot of the full synthetics....they're just too slippery

I provided info on Amsoil's new Synchromesh but I will be sticking with what I know works well for me......I do use Redline D4 in all my automatics

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Tom's_03SVT said:
Is there any other place I can get this fluid for less than $11 a QT ? The local GM dealerships want an arm for this stuff.

Thanks
Tom

unfortunately, my fav GM parts source has not only raised prices (blame GM for that), but they instituted a 12 quart minimum order

8.25/qt shipped = $99 @ GMPARTSDIRECT.COM

Last edited:

BWH2003

Established Member
JB said:
unfortunately, my fav GM parts source has not only raised prices (blame GM for that), but they instituted a 12 quart minimum order

8.25/qt shipped = $99

You could always have people pitch in with you. Maybe you can get a few people that want to change their fluid.

Sucks when you can only order items in quantities of 12. Everything is like that anymore. We have to order brake fluid, carb cleaner, and all oils in quantities of 12.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I know it's a differnt transmission, but when I put GM Synchromesh in my 98 Cobra's T-45, it made a major improvement.

Currently, I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid. It's notchy when cold, but shifts smooth when warmed up. I'm due to change it out this summer and will be going to Synchomesh (if I can find the Penzoil brand, I'll go with it). Just my $0.02.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
I bought the Penzoil synchomesh (same as GM) for $6.50 a Qt at Autozone. Ill post up some results when I refill my trans

Tom

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
well, there's a nicer price :)

that's what I paid for GM stuff a couple years ago....

Users who are viewing this thread