GM quality

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Not surprising. Same company who took a shitload of taxpayer money for a bailout and then had the nerve to tell us that they "paid it all back"

bullitt1672

Established Member
I had an '02 silverado and it was a great truck and want another 99-06 silverado or sierra in the future, but would never buy anything GM that has recently came out.

Mika

Established Member
It's sad. The only GM product I ever owned was a G8 GT. Great car, good power, plenty of room, good mileage for a car its size. I mean, I can understand missing bolts here or there, but a brake pad or 4,300? Damn.

Mika

Raven519

Established Member
Not surprising. Same company who took a shitload of taxpayer money for a bailout and then had the nerve to tell us that they "paid it all back"

You do realize that all the Big 3 got money right? Or are you just playing the dumb card like all the others who say this about GM?

Its missing 1 brake pad. Blame the union workers on that one.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
You do realize that all the Big 3 got money right? Or are you just playing the dumb card like all the others who say this about GM?

And I challenge you to prove that Ford received bailout money to stay afloat. Nevermind the fact that GM lied about paying it all back...

And you know I'm not a pro-union guy!

Last edited:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Anyone that buys one of those little shitboxes doesn't deserve to have anything stop their forward movement other than a brick wall anyway.

I think they got it right the first time. :shrug:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Youd think the tech driving the car off the end of the line would notice that....

Oh thats right, hes union. His mentality is that he doesnt get paid to notice that or do anything more that exactly fits his job description.

Last edited:

jas11151990

Established Member

By chance are you the employee that did brake pads cause you sure seem to be thinking like them.....without a brain

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Weren't they the union guys that got caught smoking dope and drinking beer during lunch? No wonder the brake pads didn't get installed. I wouldn't want Cheech & Chong building my car.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, I have a 2011 Buick LaCrosse which I am extremely happy with so I can't fault GM quality based on what I'm driving. That said, the Chevy Sonic may be a whole different case. I read this article and am not at all surprised that we're hearing about a missing brake pad. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other issues as well. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/business/with-chevrolet-sonic-gm-and-uaw-reinvent-automaking.html

Cliff Notes on the article.
* The production line has been squeezed into half the space of a traditional plant.
* The radically revamped factory operates with fewer and cheaper workers, many of whom are paid $14 an hour rather than the full U.A.W. wage of $28 an hour. In a groundbreaking labor agreement, the union allowed G.M. to pay 40 percent of its union workers at Orion Township an “entry-level” wage that sharply reduces overall production costs.
* The U.A.W. tried to persuade the Ford Motor Company to build the Fiesta subcompact in the United States. But Ford chose a plant in Mexico, where the combined wages and benefits of a production worker total less than $10 an hour. By contrast, a full-wage union member in the United States costs G.M. close to $60 an hour. Even an entry-level wage employee costs about $30 an hour in wages and benefits.
* Various stages along the assembly line, like the body shop and trim area, are more compact, with teams of six workers installing parts fed to them on automated carts by independent suppliers who operate inside the plant. That reduces costly inventory and improves productivity.

It would appear that this new manufacturing model that GM hopes will re-define American manufacturing needs some work yet. When you cut costs at a plant you do have to maintain high quality control overall. It seems that is a gray area in this new plant if an inner or outer brake pad was not installed in many of the Sonics.

wildwill532

Established Member
come on you can't totally fault the uaw as a whole. I am a uaw member just not for the big 3. I think the biggest thing with this story is that almost without a doubt its a newer recently hired employee. It's the same kind or shitbag workers i see my company hiring because they can't recruite anyone worth a damn for their starting salary and benefits which is nothing at all as far as benefits go because they are all se's (supplemental employees). I see these bastards who have no business working in a factory you know just in a split second of meeting them that they don't have a clue and are dumb as a box of rocks. you pay a bogus package all you'll do is get the losers and undesirables and this applies to the big 3 because our contracts are very similar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread