GM Facing Criminal Investigation

oldmodman

Established Member
So they are responsible when the driver is stupid enough to keep thirty keys on their key ring?

Maybe I should just put a three pound fishing weight on my key chain and sue some auto manufacturer.

So now the government wants to charge the MANUFACTURER with a crime?

Dumbasses!

Sick03Vert

Banned
I believe the real issue here is that GM was aware of the ignition issues years ago. However, when their engineers came to management and said, "Hey here's the problem...we have a solution", management said "Ehhhh.....it'll be fine. We'll save the money." And THAT is at the heart of the investigation.

Not to mention Mary Barra, current CEO of GM, was over the division that turned down the ignition switch replacement the engineers wished to use. Of course, for saving the company tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars, she was promoted. So yeah...big time egg on face for her right now.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I learned 30 years ago that it's not good to have too much weight on your key ring, I see that's still a problem. We can go to the moon but cannot fix an ignition switch.......

Coiled03

Established Member
I believe the real issue here is that GM was aware of the ignition issues years ago. However, when their engineers came to management and said, "Hey here's the problem...we have a solution", management said "Ehhhh.....it'll be fine. We'll save the money." And THAT is at the heart of the investigation.

Shit like this is why you put conversations like that in writing and save them.

Kenneth

Established Member
So they are responsible when the driver is stupid enough to keep thirty keys on their key ring?

Maybe I should just put a three pound fishing weight on my key chain and sue some auto manufacturer.

So now the government wants to charge the MANUFACTURER with a crime?

Dumbasses!

According to GM, they don't want you to have any keys on the ring besides ignition key.
So I guess you need to carry 2 key rings when you buy a GM product. 1 ring for the car, 1 for the house, work, ETC.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

Not to mention Mary Barra, current CEO of GM, was over the division that turned down the ignition switch replacement the engineers wished to use. Of course, for saving the company tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars, she was promoted. So yeah...big time egg on face for her right now.

Bingo.

There was a better ignition switch that they could have used, it was a decision by the bean counters to continue using a cheap ignition switch.

However, IMO this shouldnt be under investigation by the government, especially if the fault is only present when a driver has 30lbs of shit on their keychain. The public should be aware of their use of a lesser ignition switch and base their car buying accordingly and let the FREE MARKET sort it out.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
This all happened under the "old" GM. Will interesting to see how this plays out in the courts. It could be tricky suing/prosecuting a company that technically no longer exists.

We definitely don't have all the information, so jumping to conclusions at this point is probably premature. The NTSB looks to have been involved at some point in the past too.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
Bingo.

There was a better ignition switch that they could have used, it was a decision by the bean counters to continue using a cheap ignition switch.

However, IMO this shouldnt be under investigation by the government, especially if the fault is only present when a driver has 30lbs of shit on their keychain. The public should be aware of their use of a lesser ignition switch and base their car buying accordingly and let the FREE MARKET sort it out.

Except in a true free market no one would be aware of the problem at all, unless you plan on paying a private investigator your self.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Except in a true free market no one would be aware of the problem at all, unless you plan on paying a private investigator your self.

Pretty sure you would hear of it anyways.

People already pretty much know GM sucks ballsacks. Now they can add ignition switches to the slough of other shitty reasons why GM sucks.

KurtDog

Established Member
hqdefault.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I learned 30 years ago that it's not good to have too much weight on your key ring, I see that's still a problem. We can go to the moon but cannot fix an ignition switch.......

We already have. It's called a keyless ignition. As found on my old '11 Buick LaCrosse and my wife's '12 Hyundai Azera. No reason any longer to have to use a key in the ignition. IMO all cars now should have a keyless ignition.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
No, currently we can't go to the moon; and we may not even be able to get to orbit, if the Russians are really mad at us. Add in the ignition key problem, and it's all fail, all the way down.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Wait a minute. The government still owns part of GM, don't they? So this would be like the government suing itself, if they still own part of GM.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Wait a minute. The government still owns part of GM, don't they? So this would be like the government suing itself, if they still own part of GM.

I think they still own stock, they just aren't the majority shareholders iirc. I remember reading about how the government was going to slowly sell off their stock but don't remember exactly.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Treasury sold the last of their stock in December.

Here is a nice article on how badly GM could **** themselves if they don't handle this situation the correct way, in the eyes of the public.

What GM owes its customers

Yeah, they need to tread very lightly with this one for sure. Just suck it up and take care of those families significantly affected by this. Even if it turns out there is an acceptable reason why this went on for so long, they still need to clean this up properly. Their image is bad enough already with failing to make the taxpayer whole on the bailout deal.

Sladester2

Established Member
My gfs cobalt has that recall. The key turns sometimes when you are driving.. its happened to me while driving it before on the freeway right when I was trying to turn for my exit.. scared the shit out of me.

Users who are viewing this thread