Glasses

knight 64

SVT Power
Established Member
My old stubborn pride has finally reached the end. I have the computer screen at 150 magnification. I use to be a 20-20 vision guy who enjoyed shooting sports, did quite well with clay, birds, rabbits etc. I just received a bunch of great books for Christmas. My arms are no longer long enough. How much for a good eye exam and glasses. I went the reading glass route and continually lose and break them. Can an old dog like me adjust to putting contacts in? Thanks for your advice.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I was paranoid about sticking my fingers in my eyes. After about 2 weeks it was no problem to throw in contacts and be on my way. Been that way for about 8 years now.

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
i've been wearing contacts for about 14 years now(though i'm only 26)..like Pho said, it's just the first couple of weeks that are bad, then it's routine. my father-in-law wears them (55) hasn't had any issues. just have patience and you'll get it.

Huddleston

The Sawed Off Scott Gun
Established Member
youll get used to contacts over a few weeks. if not glasses aren't the end of the world. you might even get compliments on them!

oldmodman

Established Member
I have worn glasses since I was around eight years old.

And they have saved my eyes many times.

Since I wear them all the time the welding spatter, wires flying off of wire wheels and so on have hit the lenses and not my eyes.

Para81

Established Member
I don't know anything about disqualifying pre existing condtions. What I do know is if you want to do it make sure you do it OUTSIDE of the USA. I understand that many people in the US pay around 6-10k for Lasik.

I did Lasik in 2010 and it cost me 1,523.00 dollars total. I went to a top facility in Bangkok while I was living there and have had 20/20 vision ever since.

The facility was top notch with excellent staff. Doctor was American trained at UCSB. People come in from all over to have Lasik done especially high priced regions like Europe/USA where you're paying your doctors insurance costs. There are numerous top rate facilities that specialize in it there.

Even a round trip plane ticket and the Lasik will save you half of what you would pay in the US.

Best decision I made for my eyes. No longer have to spend hundreds on glasses/contacts all the time and my vision is better than it's ever been.

Last edited:

knight 64

SVT Power
Established Member
Thanks guys, RIP Henry Ford. My sister buys reclaimed Library books. I picked up The Fords authored by Collier and Horowitz. I can not get enough of History, Civil War-1969 Vietnam. Since becoming a member here last year, I have a total fascination in the Ford SVT team and the termination of the American Muscle car competition. When I last left off early 70s Lee Iacocca was leaving Ford for Chrysler. Ford The Man the Machine, the industrial revolution. I would love some good recommendations to catch me up from the early 70's to 2014 Ford. I might have to purchase another $2.50 pair of reading glasses to get the job done. Even though bat shit blind I'm not looking for a huge illustrated books. Thank you Brothers, I have a little bit of office visit stuff but pretty much have until the week after new years to catch up on some reading!

Machdup1

Established Member
I don't know anything about disqualifying pre existing condtions. What I do know is if you want to do it make sure you do it OUTSIDE of the USA. I understand that many people in the US pay around 6-10k for Lasik.

I did Lasik in 2010 and it cost me 1,523.00 dollars total. I went to a top facility in Bangkok while I was living there and have had 20/20 vision ever since.

The facility was top notch with excellent staff. Doctor was American trained at UCSB. People come in from all over to have Lasik done especially high priced regions like Europe/USA where you're paying your doctors insurance costs. There are numerous top rate facilities that specialize in it there.

Even a round trip plane ticket and the Lasik will save you half of what you would pay in the US.

Best decision I made for my eyes. No longer have to spend hundreds on glasses/contacts all the time and my vision is better than it's ever been.

The price has come down, I just had both lens replaced with laser correction for $8k.

Jroc

Established Member
I wore glasses for years. A couple of years ago I got PRK surgery. I like it, but I don't think I like it as much as most do, as sometimes my eyes can get a little irritated, and dry, and I don't see a perfect 20/20, but I see pretty close to it, and well enough to no longer require reading glasses.

The last set of glasses I bought cost several hundred, but they were some very nice thin framed glasses and they lasted me about 4 years.

Coiled03

Established Member
If you're a candidate for Lasik, PRK, etc., I don't know why you'd get glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread