Gibson 1-piece X-pipe install write up/review

Pred_mech

Established Member
I guess this will work for all 1 piece pipes. Some folks said it would be a PITA, but I found it very easy to do. First off, if you don't have one of these in your arsenal then I suggest you make one for this and future endeavors.
IMG_20130426_213656_224_zpsc6adedc0.jpg

Once you get the stock pipe off and have the new one under the car, just slide the forward side up over the K member cross bar. If you are alone then get under it, as in it is resting on your body and on the K-brace. Lift it with your hands and if you have to, one foot on the bottom side and start both bolts on the driver's side as this side has the most clearance. *don't forget to transfer the gasket. You always want to torque the nut, not the bolt so install the bolts from the top side of the manifold flange.
Here is the finished driver's side.
IMG_20130426_211609_436_zps5f89a8cd.jpg

Now my box was a little beat up and I don't know if it was made like this or damaged, but the passenger's side pipe would not align up perfectly.
IMG_20130426_203628_130_zpsd67850dd.jpg

Easy stuff though. I pre-positioned a bolt and gasket which stay in place due to the bolt threads holding the gasket in place. I then just used force to pull the pipe over and catch the threads. While holding tension on the pipe so it wouldn't pop off I installed the nut w/o the washer since it was just holding on by a couple threads. Then I used my cordless impact to tighten the nut which pulled the pipe into place(you can use a ratchet too, but I love my Makita!). Once in place, I removed the nut and placed the lock washer on there and re-snugged the nut. Here is a pic of the final tightening, ratchet on one side and a wrench on the other.
IMG_20130426_211354_034_zpsb27211f7.jpg

Now there is very little room to install the last bolt and nut. This is the one that you had to get from the top with extensions. W/o a cat, you can install the bolt from the top. I then placed my modified tool in place and tightened from the bottom.
IMG_20130426_211117_213_zps2646a94b.jpg

Then tap the tool out. Hook up the back side and align and tighten and voila, you are done.
IMG_20130426_213441_253_zps8c2b48c2.jpg

Car sounds mean, and the exhaust doesn't hang low like I have heard before. Overall I think this is great for the money I spent!

-Daniel

Fun4me

Established Member
What size bolts and how many ft/lbs of torque? Any special tools needed to transfer the sensors? Do you think the additional presure(from the damaged part) will cause any problems with the manifold to engine seal?

I have the SS version in the mail. I used 31,500 CC miles. Better than getting some giftcards to potterybarn.

Pred_mech

Established Member
What size bolts and how many ft/lbs of torque? Any special tools needed to transfer the sensors? Do you think the additional presure(from the damaged part) will cause any problems with the manifold to engine seal?

I have the SS version in the mail. I used 31,500 CC miles. Better than getting some giftcards to potterybarn.

To remove the stocker its a 15mm deep. I cant remember the bolt sizes on the Gibson, they are standard though. I gave them the German torque, ghudntite.

No special tools. Just disconnect the sensors and swap them on the ground. I used a 7/8 wrench and a rubber mallet.

The seal is fine. Once the bolts are tightened down it will not leak. Now if your SS one is out of alignment you may have a little harder time aligning it up lol. I still wouldn't sweat it though.

I agree speed parts > pottery barn any day :rolling:

Fun4me

Established Member
To remove the stocker its a 15mm deep. I cant remember the bolt sizes on the Gibson, they are standard though. I gave them the German torque, ghudntite.

No special tools. Just disconnect the sensors and swap them on the ground. I used a 7/8 wrench and a rubber mallet.

The seal is fine. Once the bolts are tightened down it will not leak. Now if your SS one is out of alignment you may have a little harder time aligning it up lol. I still wouldn't sweat it though.

I agree speed parts > pottery barn any day :rolling:
Thanks for the write-up. :beer:

Pred_mech

Established Member
N/P, I almost forgot, you will need several extensions and a uni-wiggle. I don't know what its really called, we have always called it that.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
fitment ain't perfect but you can't beat the price. just a few bucks more than JEGS cat deletes.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Wow...I was about to pull the trigger on a Lethal...Now I have some thinking to do...Damn you!!!! lol.

Thanks for the write-up.

Angry50

Established Member
thats pretty nice, i have been debating on the O/R Xpipe but i ahve the Flowmaster Outlaws which sound good but i fear with out cars might be too loud. i like loud exhaust but i have my limits

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
thats pretty nice, i have been debating on the O/R Xpipe but i ahve the Flowmaster Outlaws which sound good but i fear with out cars might be too loud. i like loud exhaust but i have my limits

it will sound like racecar. kill the cats and swap back on the stock ab's.

Users who are viewing this thread