Getting rid of the X-Pipe raspiness! Baffles are the answer!

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
My car was way way too loud. I've got an M55 3" catback and O/R X and it was really really raspy and really really really incredibly f*cking loud, so loud that I got a ticket for it a couple of weeks ago.

After searching around I found the answer in the form of some 3" Bassani baffles. They just came in and I installed them last night. The difference is dramatic! No more rasp, and the volume has been cut down about 30%, which means that my car is still LOUD, but its not eardrum splitting, blood coming out of your ears obnoxiously loud, and they really smoothed out the tone of the exhaust too. There is no more high pitched rasp, just a smooth aggressive tone. It sounds perfect now!

The best part is that because they simply fit into the end of the tailpipes you can remove them if you want to go to the track and scare babies and they don't reduce the performance gain you get from going with O/R pipes.

:D

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
I'm not disputing what you are saying, but I think the power gains people get from an X-pipe have more to do with the X-pipe being less restrictive than the factory H-pipe rather than whether you run cats or not. For example, I dyno'd in April with a couple of buddies. My car has a 2.8, FIPK, Stingers, UPR X with factory cats welded in and a custom Predator tune. My buddy had the same mods, but he was running an offroad X. We loaded the same tune on both cars (turned off 02's on his via Predator) and mine made more power on every pull even when the A/F on both cars was dead on. In my opinion, these cars like a little backpressure...

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Originally posted by CHeRNoBYL
I'm not disputing what you are saying, but I think the power gains people get from an X-pipe have more to do with the X-pipe being less restrictive than the factory H-pipe rather than whether you run cats or not. For example, I dyno'd in April with a couple of buddies. My car has a 2.8, FIPK, Stingers, UPR X with factory cats welded in and a custom Predator tune. My buddy had the same mods, but he was running an offroad X. We loaded the same tune on both cars (turned off 02's on his via Predator) and mine made more power on every pull even when the A/F on both cars was dead on. In my opinion, these cars like a little backpressure...

Lets not turn this into an catted vs O/R or X vs H thread ok.

It really doesn't matter what midpipe you've got, simply that if you think your car is too loud, or too raspy the baffles will really help and it won't kill your gains. :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by bunny_power
Lets not turn this into an catted vs O/R or X vs H thread ok.

It really doesn't matter what midpipe you've got, simply that if you think your car is too loud, or too raspy the baffles will really help and it won't kill your gains. :beer:
And that's what I thought this thread was all about to begin with. :shrug:

Buster

Established Member
Originally posted by bunny_power
My car was way way too loud. I've got an M55 3" catback and O/R X and it was really really raspy and really really really incredibly f*cking loud, so loud that I got a ticket for it a couple of weeks ago.

After searching around I found the answer in the form of some 3" Bassani baffles. They just came in and I installed them last night. The difference is dramatic! No more rasp, and the volume has been cut down about 30%, which means that my car is still LOUD, but its not eardrum splitting, blood coming out of your ears obnoxiously loud, and they really smoothed out the tone of the exhaust too. There is no more high pitched rasp, just a smooth aggressive tone. It sounds perfect now!

The best part is that because they simply fit into the end of the tailpipes you can remove them if you want to go to the track and scare babies and they don't reduce the performance gain you get from going with O/R pipes.

:D

Who did you buy the baffles from?

TIA

Mark L

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Re: Re: Getting rid of the X-Pipe raspiness! Baffles are the answer!

Originally posted by Buster
Who did you buy the baffles from?

TIA

Mark L

I got mine through Western Motor Sports up here in Canada (Bassani doesn't ship direct to CDN customers), US guys can get them direct from Bassani.

cobrakarl

Established Member
Could you tell me if your tail pipes have to be a certain diameter
and how do the baffles fasten in. Thanks. I have 3.5 inch MRT
rolled end exhaust tips, Bassani X-pipe with metallic high flow cats and Magnapack mufflers. I like the sound of the exhaust
just a slight too loud and would be better if it was a little smoother sounding.

Thanks.

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Originally posted by cobrakarl
Could you tell me if your tail pipes have to be a certain diameter
and how do the baffles fasten in. Thanks. I have 3.5 inch MRT
rolled end exhaust tips, Bassani X-pipe with metallic high flow cats and Magnapack mufflers. I like the sound of the exhaust
just a slight too loud and would be better if it was a little smoother sounding.

Thanks.

Just drill a hole in the bottom of the tip for a screw to go through. Some tips already have a hole there (like Magnaflow), but I had to drill mine. The baffles come in 3", 3.5", and 4" diameters and just slide in the end of the exhaust.

This link has some pics that show how the baffles go into the tip.
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/173_0310_exh_bassani_aftercat/index2.html

Users who are viewing this thread