Getting rid of the GT for a nice, sporty commuter

2k3gt

Established Member
Hoping to get some opinions on this..

I've been thinking of trading out the GT for a while; and recently getting a new job, I figure now is as good a time as any. A couple things have changed due to the new job, namely:

1. My commute has doubled from 15 minutes to 30 minutes

2. I deal with a lot more traffic

I still want something sporty; but mostly something that is comfortable, decent on gas, and (unfortunately) an automatic. I've been really looking at 2009+ Audi A4s with the S-line package. The 2.0T gets pretty good gas mileage and the AWD would come in handy with WA weather (tiptronic auto with paddle shifters is pretty cool too). Any thoughts on that choice? Any other recommendations?

Love this forum and would appreciate any input :beer:

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
That is a pretty good choice. I was looking at getting one of them for a daily but decided on a VW TDI instead. My commute is a little over an hour though so I needed the extra mpg.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Make sure you have lots of warranty because you will regret owning the piece of shit when you have to pay ridiculous amounts of money to keep it on the road

GodStang

Established Member
That is a pretty good choice. I was looking at getting one of them for a daily but decided on a VW TDI instead. My commute is a little over an hour though so I needed the extra mpg.

I picked my 2012 TDI up last Wednesday! I love it! Fun to drive, comfortable, tons of gadets, and GREAT gas mileage.

2k3gt

Established Member
It will be under warranty and I'm only going to buy certified pre-owned. Plus I don't plan on modding it, so that should help with the reliability as well. Sti/Evos are nice, but a little too "boy racer" for what I'm going for. $40k is my max...any other input/suggestions?

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I'm not dogging the audi at all, especially the S-lines.. Gorgeous cars, incredible build quality and interiors..

We live in the smallest town in the country to have an Audi dealer, so the ratio of audi's to other cars is pretty high here.. I've worked on alot of them and know many people who own them.. They are awesome cars, but after a few years THEY FALL APART! Once shit starts going wrong, it seems like the entire car just falls apart, and repairs are RIDICULOUS..

With that said, if you like it, get it but get rid of it before that warranty is up..

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
It will be under warranty and I'm only going to buy certified pre-owned. Plus I don't plan on modding it, so that should help with the reliability as well. Sti/Evos are nice, but a little too "boy racer" for what I'm going for. $40k is my max...any other input/suggestions?

the EvoX is way less boy racer than the 8/9 variety.

Id get a 2.0T Genesis Coupe with the track package. My buddy has one, its a ****ing blast to drive. Sure it has the same hp as my GST, similar engine (4b11 is the newer version of the 4g63) but damn, you can tell theres much more technology as the power is so linear and refined, zero lag at all but it pulls nicely through the entire rpm band.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would vote for the Genesis coupe as well. It really is a great car with decent performance. I would at least test drive one.

Fuerza

Established Member
Maybe I'm gettin old, but the Japanese Alphabet soup cars aren't appealing to me anymore, except the GTR. lol

I would look for a CPO Audi A4. I think they are very nice cars. VW TDI wouldn't be bad either and it will be way less than $40k.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
And the german alphabet soup cars are any better?

Remember, those japanese alphabet soup cars are only like that because we in the know shorten them up to just that. Nobody wants to type out Impreza WRX STi each time.

Last time I checked, BMW or Audi just went by the alphabet soup version. M3, A4, etc. Theres no full length car name, its a lettet/number and thats it. Sorry to piss on your aplhabet soup argument.

Plus, you need a warranty to own one, otherwise its generally known its not worth it....

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

boatcop1

Established Member
2012 Acura TSX
2012 BMW 325iX
2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
2011 Nissan 370Z touring coupe
2012 VW CC VR6

I would also consider the EVO's or STI's! I know you said they tend to be a bit boyish and I agree, but you can set your car up how you want. I see alot of newer EVO's with a wing delete and they look great. Plus super fun to drive.

Good luck

crazycarlo

Established Member
why not try to get a nice used newer M3 or something like an E55 AMG their suprercharged already and they are nice.

Jroc

Established Member
It sounds to me like a new 5 liter Mustang GT fits your criteria about as well as anything else. For example better claimed MPG than EVO's/STI's, and they are available with a very good auto. They handle extremely well, and feel very sporty, but they are also very comfortable, and easy to live with on a DD basis. They are far better than a Foxbody/SN95 car in those regards.

I highly recommend test driving one. They are very impressive cars and skeet all over a 3v S197.

Last edited:

Fuerza

Established Member
And the german alphabet soup cars are any better?

Remember, those japanese alphabet soup cars are only like that because we in the know shorten them up to just that. Nobody wants to type out Impreza WRX STi each time.

Last time I checked, BMW or Audi just went by the alphabet soup version. M3, A4, etc. Theres no full length car name, its a lettet/number and thats it. Sorry to piss on your aplhabet soup argument.

Plus, you need a warranty to own one, otherwise its generally known its not worth it....

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

Yeah they are better, I bought a M3 over an Evo/STI. Why do you need a warranty to own one? I owned a M3 without a warranty and it was rock solid car. There are members on this board that own E55 AMG's without warranty and you don't see them complaining. The Audi A4 would be a great daily driver and not attract 17 yearold high schoolers.

As far as naming, I see no reason for Japanese automakers to add letters to cars already in production. Call it the Subaru STI, kind of like saying BMW M3. :dw:

Five-ohh-Love

Established Member
I still want something sporty; but mostly something that is comfortable, decent on gas, and (unfortunately) an automatic.

$40k is my max...any other input/suggestions?

3644281254_5eb57c00a9.jpg

Maybe?

SVTPete83

Established Member
Don't be afraid of the a4. They are great cars. I will say that my wife commutes hers 180 miles a day and I has held up great. We bought it used audi certified. It's an s line with the titanium package and it's a blast to drive. For the money gas milage and awd it's prob the best all around car I have ever driven. Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread