Getting rid of passenger side blue PCV fitting?

AKDMB

Established Member
Hey guys this is kind of a weird question, I was wondering if there would be any downsides to replacing the blue passenger side PCV fitting with the black driver side PCV fitting. I'm going to run breathers and the blue passenger side PCV sticks up past the grey valve cover and the breather doesn't cover it up entirely, so in my mind it would look kind of weird to have a light blue fitting being visible. Also the blue PCV fitting is very loose, it comes off very easily. The driver side PCV is short enough to blend right in with the valve cover also, even if it did protrude slightly it's black, so it blends right in. Also the driver side PCV is solid as a rock. I'm pretty sure I tracked down the part number for the black driver side PCV fitting and it is 4L2Z-6762-AA ( http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/f-15.../emission-system-cat/emission-components-scat). Would there be any downsides to this? I removed the black driver side PCV fitting tonight and it is a direct fit on the passenger side, and it's a nice sturdy fit. Keep in mind that the black passenger side fitting is open, there's no valve or anything, it's just a straight short piece of pipe for all intensive purposes. The blue PCV fitting that it is potentially replacing has some sort of check valve or orifice in it that would build some form of crankcase pressure on the passenger side. The main question is, is there such thing as too little crankcase pressure? Will this create so little restriction in the crankcase that I will have a vacuum leak? I know what you are already saying, "people run breathers on the driver side all the time and they have no vacuum leaks", well yeah, but does the passenger side crankcase function any differently than the driver side? Will I end up with a vacuum leak? I know very little about crankcase pressure and the role it plays in vacuum and engine life. All I know is that too much crankcase pressure is bad for the motor, but what would too little crankcase pressure result in? I can find at least one instance of someone replacing the passenger side PCV fitting with one like the driver side has, but other than that, nothing.

Thanks in advance,

Trent

Last edited:

bob450

Established Member
i remove blue pass fiting in favor driver black with k n breathers. my engine have false knocking with blue one in place...hard to belive... but work on data logs.. no smells or oil leak but the driver side stay cleaner, my car is na stock

AKDMB

Established Member
Just an informative bump, another member meassaged me saying he had a black fitting like the one I wanted for sale. He said that I wouldn't have any problems with vacuum leaks, I declined his offer, but one more vote for replacing the blue pcv.

AKDMB

Established Member
Another bump with some info, even if no one else replies this will serve as info for someone else researching this in the future.

It looks like JDM Engineering offers a package that includes breathers, pcv quick connect fittings and two of the above 4L2Z-6762-AA fittings, so I'm assuming they don't have any problems doing this. They are sold out of these so I imagine some found there way onto some mild street cars.
http://www.teamjdm.com/2011-2015-mustang-gt-boss-coyote-engine-breather-kit-by-jdm/

Also JPC offers a -12AN fittings to replace both pcv fittings. This isn't what I'm looking to do, but it's another example of somebody having no restriction in the PCV system on either side of the motor and not having issues. These were mostly for use on full retard turbo cars, so this must not harm motor since it's proven in an extreme application like that. Although, in those applications (crazy street car/ race car) you wouldn't care about little things such as loosing vacuum at idle, it would be more than worth it in that application because you would want as little crankcase pressure as possible. My application is a bolt on coyote though, so I don't want to end up loosing a bunch of vacuum or having other issues, so this may not be a good example to look at. Again, I'm kinda grasping at straws here, don't know too much about crankcase pressure and the PCV system in general. http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...153-JPC-Coyote-12-an-PCV-Fittings-NOW-ON-SALE

Last edited:

Slowb00st

Established Member
There is a black PCV that has the insert, it is out of the ecoboost engines. Motorcraft number EV289, also BL3Z-6A666-AA its about $3.10.

And to answer your question its perfectly fine to use the Drivers side PCV (Hollow) on the passenger side when using filters on both fittings.

Last edited:

AKDMB

Established Member
I went ahead and ordered one of the above fittings(4L2Z-6762-AA) from Tasca and two k&n breathers, part number 62-1340 from Jegs
http://www.jegs.com/i/K-N/599/62-1340/10002/-1.

Hopefully everything will be here by the weekend. Getting ready to fire up my coyote project for the first time before thanksgiving hopefully. I will post back in this thread if I have any issues with the black fitting on the passenger side. I know I made a pretty big deal out of all this, but I am kind of OCD about what all goes on this motor, just want it to be safe.

Last edited:

AKDMB

Established Member
Just for future info, the above fitting (4L2Z-6762-AA) is the correct fitting, it is identical to the driver side fitting dimensionally, it fits great. The 5/8" I.D. K&N breathers( 62-1340) look great, they aren't gray though like the jegs picture shows, they are red, not a big deal though. I will post back in this thread if this results in a smoke show coming from the crankcase or any issues when I go to start tuning the car. Thanks for all the help guys, first fire up of our project will happen this afternoon hopefully :)

AKDMB

Established Member
So far we have only let the car idle a few times with some light revs, as we were tracking down leaks and bleeding air from the coolant system, but we haven't had any smoke or mess on the valve covers. This doesn't really mean much, as a smoke problem would most likely occur under load at rpm, which won't happen for a while unfortunately. The fuel trims are really close already even with an aftermarket CAI, I'm seeing 5.5% LTFT B1 and 0% LTFT B2, I am attributing the bank to bank difference to a simple exhaust leak. If this mod resulted in a vacuum leak the trims would be much much worse. The fumes aren't noticeable unless you literally stick your nose up to the breather, then you can smell some oil. I would challenge someone to tell the difference odor wise between a car that had breathers and one that didn't. There is no way you would notice it over an offroad exhaust. The breathers aren't wet with oil at all. From what I read only power adder cars really have issues with oil on the valve covers making a mess.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread