getting ready for a new set up

03CRUSHER

Established Member
Premium Member
A hit at 40 in 2nd will burn all the way through 2nd and 3rd, haven't had a chance to see what it does shifting into 4th. 3rd gear pull feels like a train, just wont stop until you let out. I haven't had the car out very long so we will see what temps do once it's been running for a while but the temps dropping throughout the pull is impressive. So far the g4 is as advertised, at least in my mind.
The only thing I'm not crazy about so far is the sound of the blower, sounds different than previous whipples and tvs. Almost like a power steering pump going out, but not as loud. For its performance I can live with the sound :)

So I can relate with my Gen 3. It whistles more at idle, which I like, but definitely sounds different under load. Nothing like centrifugal setup but not quite as loud as the earlier Whipples, let alone the KB. Quite honestly though, there’s not much time for enjoying the nuance since you’re spending MUCH less time in each gear and spending more time keeping the car between the ditches

03CRUSHER

Established Member
Premium Member
IMG_0468.JPG
IMG_0469.JPG

That wasn’t even enough for me. Need to target about as much as Malcolm took off his hood.
IMG_1468.JPG

94slowbra1

Established Member
Wow that's a big notch. I think I need to take a little more off from mine but nothing like that. But in the end its worth it, this blower is impressive.

03CRUSHER

Established Member
Premium Member
Wow that's a big notch. I think I need to take a little more off from mine but nothing like that. But in the end its worth it, this blower is impressive.

It is, but I’ll get it looking good again once I cut more out and patch the factoryish-looking indent and paint.

Btw, I started out with a notch as small as your hood currently has.

03CRUSHER

Established Member
Premium Member

It is, but I’ll get it looking good again once I cut more out and patch the factoryish-looking indent and paint.

Btw, I started out with a notch as small as your hood currently has.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
That's why I'm nervous, no studs. 25lbs is pushing it on stock bolts, I'm sure 24 is perfectly safe, haha.
I'll most probably do a 3.5 and a 3.625 pull to see the difference. If I had studs I'd have no reservations about running on 25lbs. In due time

I hear that, definitely don't want an issue. I think for most normal street use or a couple dyno pulls it will be fine with the 3.5, but something like a half mile, long bonzai pull or high speed mexico racing would definitely cross the mind. Looking forward to seeing those 2 pullies dynoed and how much difference there is

94slowbra1

Established Member
I hear that, definitely don't want an issue. I think for most normal street use or a couple dyno pulls it will be fine with the 3.5, but something like a half mile, long bonzai pull or high speed mexico racing would definitely cross the mind. Looking forward to seeing those 2 pullies dynoed and how much difference there is
All of my "street driving" is spirited so I'll probably stick with the 3.625. But I'll definitely see what the 3.5 does on the dyno.

03CRUSHER

Established Member
Premium Member
I bet she moves out rather well. Where are you in NE Ohio?

Medina County. I see you’re in the Columbus area. Currently tearing the car down again to put a studded crank and some higher CR pistons in along with some other goodies. We should meet up next season!

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Medina County. I see you’re in the Columbus area. Currently tearing the car down again to put a studded crank and some higher CR pistons in along with some other goodies. We should meet up next season!
Sounds good. I worked up in Solon for awhile and have family in the Akron area, so I've been around NE Ohio a good bit.

03CRUSHER

Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds good. I worked up in Solon for awhile and have family in the Akron area, so I've been around NE Ohio a good bit.

Good deal. We need to get something together next year. The only other terminators I’ve seen in my area are DSG and SB coupes but rarely see them.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Good deal. We need to get something together next year. The only other terminators I’ve seen in my area are DSG and SB coupes but rarely see them.

There are quite a few terminators in that area.

I'm in Erie, not too far. If you guys set something up let me know. I'll drive down that way.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
All of my "street driving" is spirited so I'll probably stick with the 3.625. But I'll definitely see what the 3.5 does on the dyno.

Does the motor have to be pulled to add head studs? Ya that would be quite an ordeal if so....but, in the grand scheme, still cheaper than having the head lift and cause some catastrophic failure.

At what boost point, historically speaking for these motors over the years, have people seen the heads lift? Is it 25psi? Or more like 30? I really can't recall a lot of people post about the mason/dixon line of lift off.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Does the motor have to be pulled to add head studs? Ya that would be quite an ordeal if so....but, in the grand scheme, still cheaper than having the head lift and cause some catastrophic failure.

At what boost point, historically speaking for these motors over the years, have people seen the heads lift? Is it 25psi? Or more like 30? I really can't recall a lot of people post about the mason/dixon line of lift off.

I've seen guys talk about doing it in the car. But that would be a royal PITA given the valve covers have to come off. I'd pull the motor personally. But then while it's out I'd add cams as well. So that whole snowball thing.

I want to say it's around 24 or 25psi things start lifting.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I've seen guys talk about doing it in the car. But that would be a royal PITA given the valve covers have to come off. I'd pull the motor personally. But then while it's out I'd add cams as well. So that whole snowball thing.

I want to say it's around 24 or 25psi things start lifting.

Ya that would be too tempting not to swap other items if she's coming out anyways.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I had mine just start to lift at 21lbs on a 2.3 tvs. I am not easy on the car though. I think I got lucky, because no huge issue from it. Just pulled the motor, heads, and did new gaskets and studs. Probably would have been a huge pita in the car. I needed to do a bunch of stuff to go along with the studs at that point, so it was all easier that way. It got a McLeod steel bellhousing, flywheel, and rxt then too. Did the k member and long tubes then too. That was a busy few days.

94slowbra1

Established Member
If I do studs I'm pulling the engine and doing cams at the same time. I'll play with it like it is and see how it goes. If it makes it till next summer that will be the plan, studs and cams.
I tried pulling the valve cover still in the car and I cant see how people do it. Seems like dropping everything out would be easier.

94slowbra1

Established Member
im working out what seems to be a charging issue or something in the tune right now. kevin has been out of town so im at a standstill until he gets back at it. after the car has been driven for a while my idle gets real low and the a/f goes to 17+. eventually it will come back to within range but clearly something is up. in the log i noticed the batt voltage drops to below 12 when this happens so im trying to figure out if the alt is crapping out and causing the issue with either the tune or the injectors or if its something in the tune and when it starts to idle low the alt just isnt spinning fast enough to make good voltage. my money is on something to do with the alternator or some other aspect of the electrical system. i have a j2fab 200amp alt, but i have alot of things running (twin 465s, stewart emp pump, hid's in both heads and fogs, coolant fan, twin 10" fans on my gt500 h/e ect...)
ill look everything over and see. car will fire right up and idle perfect for at least 15 mins when its cold. so im guessing it has something to do with the heat and everything running once its gets hot

Users who are viewing this thread