getting ready for a new set up

94slowbra1

Established Member
20200110_103217-2268x3024.jpg
20200110_114430-2268x3024.jpg
20200110_130813-2268x3024-1701x2268.jpg
20200110_130828-2268x3024.jpg
20200110_134625-3024x2268.jpg
So I finished up today, well sort of. More to come on that. But I got the new 270amp j2fab alt in and got the blower back in. Having done this before it was much easier this round.
Here are some pics: I feel bad I have to cover up these pretty coil covers, for those wondering yes the rear breather clears the crusher intake, new 270 alt, and the finished product minus the strut tower brace

94slowbra1

Established Member
Well it isnt all unicorns and rainbows over here, it runs like shit, ha. I'll do my best to give all the info. Only new parts from teardown is a new 270 alt and the head studs. Same fuel, same plugs, battery sat on a charger. From what I can tell all vac lines are hooked up, no pcv just breathers. All injectors seems to be firing the same from what I can hear. Only got one code, p2195. Unplug the iac and it immediately dies, wont run without the blower belt. I unplugged all the coils on the driver side and its idles the same. Strong raw fuel smell. Checked plug gap just to make sure.
I'm out if ideas, anybody have a thought? I'm all ears
And yes I know the coil covers are off, it didnt make a difference

94slowbra1

Established Member
Nope, same id1050x injectors and same slot maf
Looking at the video I see at idle, if that's what you call what's happening here, I'm only showing 2lbs of vac. Clearly this isnt right. But I looked over the obvious spots and they all seem to be connected.
Does the brake booster use vac from the engine?

94slowbra1

Established Member
I didnt think so but every other vac line looks good, so the booster is the only other thing I messed with. I'll sleep on it and look again with fresh eyes tomorrow. Thanks
I can go back and look at the logs from when I was tuning before on this same set up but I believe the injector duty cycle was only like 75-80%.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Looks great!

Probably dumb question....but the breather configuration and deletion of pcv is not "new", correct? That was the way you had it on Kevin's last tune when it ran fine previous to the headstud installation?

I'm sure this will end up being something simple and you'll catch it today with fresh eyes.

01yellercobra

Established Member
My guess is you have a vacuum leak under the blower somewhere and its keeping the bypass from opening. So the blower is probably loaded down and thats why it won't idle. Hopefully it's not an intake gasket.

94slowbra1

Established Member
Looks great!

Probably dumb question....but the breather configuration and deletion of pcv is not "new", correct? That was the way you had it on Kevin's last tune when it ran fine previous to the headstud installation?

I'm sure this will end up being something simple and you'll catch it today with fresh eyes.
Correct, went with a breather set up when I originally did the 2.9. It ran fine then

94slowbra1

Established Member
My guess is you have a vacuum leak under the blower somewhere and its keeping the bypass from opening. So the blower is probably loaded down and thats why it won't idle. Hopefully it's not an intake gasket.

This is also my thought, which is why the blower is so loud at idle. The blower is screaming and it's only at 500 rpm.
I'm fearing the intake gasket considering I've checked every vac connection I can get to

01yellercobra

Established Member
This is also my thought, which is why the blower is so loud at idle. The blower is screaming and it's only at 500 rpm.
I'm fearing the intake gasket considering I've checked every vac connection I can get to
If you have a friend that vapes you could do a smoke test.

94slowbra1

Established Member
No pulled the blower and checked everything again. All vac lines hooked up, boost bypass checks out, blower spins freely by hand, all electrical connections are hooked up, intake gaskets look good. I'm at a loss right now.
Even reloaded the tune to make sure it was there.
My next plan is to pull the blower again and separate it from the intake and look at the rotors to make sure they arent contacting the housing
I'm open to any ideas people have here

cj428mach

Established Member
No pulled the blower and checked everything again. All vac lines hooked up, boost bypass checks out, blower spins freely by hand, all electrical connections are hooked up, intake gaskets look good. I'm at a loss right now.
Even reloaded the tune to make sure it was there.
My next plan is to pull the blower again and separate it from the intake and look at the rotors to make sure they arent contacting the housing
I'm open to any ideas people have here

No way you knocked a rocker off or anything?

cj428mach

Established Member
God I dont think so. I guess I could pull the covers and see. Anyway to check that without pulling the covers?

No probably not, if the blower is still off it might be worth checking the passenger side. Thats the down side of the whipple is you have to remove the blower to look things over.

94slowbra1

Established Member
Well the blower will be coming off again to check the rotors so I guess I'll pull the covers again and see. I'd imagine you would be able to hear if something like that was off? Seems like it would make some noise

cj428mach

Established Member
Well the blower will be coming off again to check the rotors so I guess I'll pull the covers again and see. I'd imagine you would be able to hear if something like that was off? Seems like it would make some noise

Honestly if a rocker was off the car should run decently as there's another valve to still let the cylinder fire. It probably wouldn't make any noise either, now if you some how knocked something around and caused a valve to hang open it might cause your issue.

Your looking for rotors touching doesn't explain the low vacuum. I'm trying address that.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

At this point, I think that's the best action plan. Do not run it any more. I would pull the blower and covers.....retrace your steps, double check the entire process and inspect every piece of the puzzle that you can. Hateful excersize to have to do again.....but this is no time to be guessing what happened with this much $$$ on the line.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
This sucks to hear. Take a deep breath. You will get it figured out and there is plenty of knowledge here to help. Good thing is that it's the down season so you have a couple months until the weather gets better.

Users who are viewing this thread