Getting on a deer lease. Now what?

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm getting on a deer lease for the first time with my brother and a few guys he works with. We went out there (it's 1.5 hours from the house) Sunday to check it out and the one guy in the group that's been on a lease before really liked it.

Anyone that is on a lease, what are some things you wish you knew ahead of time? I have a tent, but I need to source a generator. I assume I'll need a good cooler to keep ice for a few days, but there is a general store just around the corner.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Probably find out if there is a limit on the number of those who can be hunting, assuming of course, you can bring people not listed on said lease.

What kind of spiders do you have out there?

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
Probably find out if there is a limit on the number of those who can be hunting, assuming of course, you can bring people not listed on said lease.

What kind of spiders do you have out there?

If you haven't paid you can't shoot or be in the stand. Guests can be in the camp though. We didn't walk around much, just checked out a few older spots people have used, didn't see any spiders. I would imagine they get pretty big out there.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Don’t put gear you had outside on the floor in the cab of your truck.
IMG_2608.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Ideally, I would want to see a lease right after the end of the last deer season. Assuming there would be less brush and leaves, you get a better idea of the lay of the land and maybe some well used trails or travel corridors.

Put cameras up as soon as you can. Start looking for what is there and where they are.

Any chance for food plot(s). You can make simple ones with a rake and some seed.

Get stands up as early as possible.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
Ideally, I would want to see a lease right after the end of the last deer season. Assuming there would be less brush and leaves, you get a better idea of the lay of the land and maybe some well used trails or travel corridors.

Put cameras up as soon as you can. Start looking for what is there and where they are.

Any chance for food plot(s). You can make simple ones with a rake and some seed.

Get stands up as early as possible.
We talked about cameras. Can you recommend a brand?

We walked it last weekend and there are trails to the stand areas from a road that goes around the lease. The couple we walked down need to be cleared, but you can tell that they have been cleared before because the grass wasn't as tall as the surrounding area.

Do you usually design and build your own stand? Get plans some where? Most I've seen are pretty simple.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
We talked about cameras. Can you recommend a brand?

We walked it last weekend and there are trails to the stand areas from a road that goes around the lease. The couple we walked down need to be cleared, but you can tell that they have been cleared before because the grass wasn't as tall as the surrounding area.

Do you usually design and build your own stand? Get plans some where? Most I've seen are pretty simple.

I have only ever used Moultrie and have been pretty happy with them. Hit some hunting pages and look for opinions, I am sure there are others that work great.

I only use ladder stands these days. Safe for me, safe for the environment and you can spend a little or alot. I always use ones with the shooting (safety) rail. I hunt by myself 99% of the time, I am not getting any younger and my hips and knees are failing.

You can at least think the previous hunters knew what they were doing with stand placement, I would use them as a guide to where the better areas might be located.

utlong31

Established Member
Make sure you have something in writing. Our lease is split in two parts from two different owners. We never had anything in writing. We’ve always just kept in contact with the owners. Last year we showed up in August like we have every year for the last 7 and paid our money, cleaned out blinds and filled up our feeders but a month later they decided they didn’t want anyone hunting it. They did refund our money but we still we were out corn and without half a lease. Spent opening weekend of deer season moving blinds and feeders off the lease. Have fun and enjoy it. Try and get along with the other guys on the lease. Sometimes that can be the hardest part. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

utlong31

Established Member
Make sure you have something in writing. Our lease is split in two parts from two different owners. We never had anything in writing. We’ve always just kept in contact with the owners. Last year we showed up in August like we have every year for the last 7 and paid our money, cleaned out blinds and filled up our feeders but a month later they decided they didn’t want anyone hunting it. They did refund our money but we still we were out corn and without half a lease. Spent opening weekend of deer season moving blinds and feeders off the lease. Have fun and enjoy it. Try and get along with the other guys on the lease. Sometimes that can be the hardest part. Good luck.

utlong31

Established Member

Double post. Sorry I kept getting an error.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
especially in a new area, make sure you know where everyone is hunting. It's not too hard to use google maps, Xhunt etc... to mark the stands and make sure you're not accidentally shooting at each other. I believe Xhunt or whatever it is you can use a different markers for cameras to make sure you dont lose any as well

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I will look into that for sure, that's a good idea. I the trails coming off of the road going to the stands is marked at the road but knowing where they are on a map would be good too.

utlong31

Established Member
Where’s your lease? South Texas.

AndyShane66

Generally, a landowner puts a property on a hunting lease finder of some sort, where a lessee can contact you about it. If it is a good fit between the two, the lessee can lease the property and use it per an agreed-upon structure.

Users who are viewing this thread