Getting locked out of gear....

GRFox

Established Member
I have had this issue happen to me two or three times now.

Always when ripping on the car. Once while running my friends 2012 GT, trying to go into third gear with my foot to the floor with the clutch and it just would not go in to gear with 3-4 attempts, I let off the clutch, put it back to the floor and the car went into gear.

Just now on the way home from work coming out of first gear going WOT, pulled it into second, or what I thought was second but it never went into gear and when I let go of the clutch i ground the sh** out of second gear....I feel like crying right now:cuss: :fm: Hope she's ok:(

Anyone ever have this issue? Car has 50k and a brand new clutch.

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
Thanks. I am going to order something soon.

I really hope I didn't hurt the tranny....

I wouldnt worry too much, they are pretty good transmissions. If you really ground 2nd, might not hurt to change the fluid? In case there were any shavings. So long as it doesnt whine bad or pop out of gear, I wouldnt worry. I say this because ive had my fair share of missed shifts or slight grinds and my heap stays together lol Im up to 55,xxx. Had a clutch put in it and a new 3rd gear synchro about 8k ago

cobra916

Established Member
i use to have the same issue.. and got the same replies to my questions... but i just thought it cant be it..there has to be more to is... i say practice.. with the car off.. take a closer look at the shifter.. the problem i figured out i was having was... i was shifting the car like other 5 speeds i have drivin... thier gears are more straight forward from eachother... so you try to throw the shifter at a angle to get into third... but with our t3650 this is wrong.. put the car into first... you will notice that the gear in more in towards your knee...and second isnt straight back...but back and to the right a little... so when you shift to 3rd...it is straight forward from second... hope this helps.. worked for me... stock shifter..stock everything... i wish i could draw a pic..would be easier to explain..

LGHTNG02GT

Established Member
and #2, you need a firewall adjuster and quadrant.

this will 100% fix your issue. the quadrant can be a pita to install but its worth every penny. it will drive/shift entirely different. I couldn't believe the difference. at the track I had to granny shift because I would get the 2nd gear lock-out. I added a UPR quick-release quadrant and boom, problem solved!

BMR Tech

I really don't want to mention names, but, I simply swapped to a different brand shifter and my "nothing is there except a wall" issue went away. Then again, my car probably has 2-3 times the power and requires a little more leverage on the handle (taller/longer handle) to get into gear at high RPM.

Users who are viewing this thread