getting lasik eye surgery

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
instead of wasting money on my car I decided to invest in myself...finally going to do it now that i have some spare money sitting around...

had the initial appointment today, scheduled to get it done friday afternoon at 1:45 at lasikplus in rockville. I had a few other friends get theirs done here and they have zero issues so far...

finally going to be rid of glasses forever...wish me luck ;-)

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
lRageATMl said:
instead of wasting money on my car I decided to invest in myself...finally going to do it now that i have some spare money sitting around...

had the initial appointment today, scheduled to get it done friday afternoon at 1:45 at lasikplus in rockville. I had a few other friends get theirs done here and they have zero issues so far...

My father had it done and loves it. Went flawless and he doesn't regret it one bit. Good luck!

It's funny that instantly improved vision isn't higher on the priority list for alot of people :D

drillsergeantjra

THIS WE'LL DEFEND
Established Member
I've been thinking about getting this done for some time now. Please let us know how it all goes. If you don't mind me asking....how much is it going to cost?

BUNKY

S281SVT
Established Member
Sounds like a plan to me too in the future .
If you have any problems up untill the laser is done let me know , a friend of mine "his wife works out of annapolis where Tiger Woods had his done and they are great there .
D

Last edited:

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
drillsergeantjra said:
I've been thinking about getting this done for some time now. Please let us know how it all goes. If you don't mind me asking....how much is it going to cost?

The price honestly depends on a lot of things...like what laser they are going to use on you etc...it changes per person...

mine happens to be 3100 for both eyes (one eye is 1500 and the other is 1600)...this is a life time warrznty type deal. Meaning if I ever need adjustments when i turn 40,50,60,etc....it's free.

i'm using lasikplus becasue i had a friend use them also and he has had zero issues.

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
lRageATMl said:

You'll be simply amazed! I had mine done way back in November 1998 & have had "0" complications. Back then it was $2,600 each eye but worth every single penny! Each eye took about 2 minutes to do and that was it - they gave me a pair of sunglasses to wear and off I went. I even went to my son's basketball practice that evening! Next day my vision was 20/60, and by the 10 day checkup down to 20/40 and soon after 20/20..... :banana:

The first few mornings I found myself reaching for my glasses & then thought I had them on because I could actually see the alarm clock!

Your're going to have a big smile on your face for quite some time - this is truely money well spent.. :beer:

Welcome to the glassless / contactless world....... :thumbsup:

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
My experience was miserable (in the short run), my vision was bad, and my pupils were too large for LASIK, I had to get a more primitive surgery; PRK.

It took me weeks to heal up, with heavy painkillers, and painkiller boosters. Well, beer, really. My recovery was not typical; I was a hard case. My doctor called me at home most evenings.

If you qualify for LASIK, you can see minutes after the surgery, and it's nearly painless. Get it.

Now, 2+ years past my event, I wholly recommend either LASIK, or PRK.

The differences between the two surgeries follow, I've been without contact lenses for years now, and recommend whatever procedure you're allowed, bear in mind that I've not had LASIK.

The difference is with LASIK: a flap of cornea is folded back, and the underlying cornea is reshaped that when the flap is put back, the newly shaped cornea has your lens prescription built in, minus any (there are almost none) irregularities on your corneal flap. You can get the procedure done again if the results aren't satisfactory, it's really no big deal.

With PRK, there is no corneal flap, the cornea is abraided from the surface in (no flap), advantages are less cornea removed, accurate reshaping, no 'unstable' corneal flap. Disadvantage: greater discomfort, longer healing time.

My doctor asked me to speak with a patient that was considering the same procedure (PRK) during my recovery. I spoke with her saying pretty much "You don't want to talk with me now; ask me in a year" Now I'm fine.

If you get any of this surgery, you may have dry eyes that require periodic wetting with some dry eye stuff. Forever. You may not.

My eyes are the same as before the surgery, except that my left eye needs to be exercised breifly before I open it in the morning.

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
EatonEggbeater said:
My experience was miserable (in the short run), my vision was bad, and my pupils were too large for LASIK, I had to get a more primitive surgery; PRK.

It took me weeks to heal up, with heavy painkillers, and painkiller boosters. Well, beer, really. My recovery was not typical; I was a hard case. My doctor called me at home most evenings.

If you qualify for LASIK, you can see minutes after the surgery, and it's nearly painless. Get it.

Now, 2+ years past my event, I wholly recommend either LASIK, or PRK.

The differences between the two surgeries follow, I've been without contact lenses for years now, and recommend whatever procedure you're allowed, bear in mind that I've not had LASIK.

The difference is with LASIK: a flap of cornea is folded back, and the underlying cornea is reshaped that when the flap is put back, the newly shaped cornea has your lens prescription built in, minus any (there are almost none) irregularities on your corneal flap. You can get the procedure done again if the results aren't satisfactory, it's really no big deal.

With PRK, there is no corneal flap, the cornea is abraided from the surface in (no flap), advantages are less cornea removed, accurate reshaping, no 'unstable' corneal flap. Disadvantage: greater discomfort, longer healing time.

My doctor asked me to speak with a patient that was considering the same procedure (PRK) during my recovery. I spoke with her saying pretty much "You don't want to talk with me now; ask me in a year" Now I'm fine.

If you get any of this surgery, you may have dry eyes that require periodic wetting with some dry eye stuff. Forever. You may not.

My eyes are the same as before the surgery, except that my left eye needs to be exercised breifly before I open it in the morning.

I qualify for the Lasik...

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Yup, my bosses husband had the lasik and he was fine afterwards. She had to get the PRK and was down for 3 days after the surgery. She still saw things a bit blurry weeks afterwards as well.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Wonder who the first test subject was for the procedure?

Umm we need to cut your eye open, burn some of it with a laser, and hopefully you won't be blind when we finish :eek: :-D

drillsergeantjra

THIS WE'LL DEFEND
Established Member
lRageATMl said:
The price honestly depends on a lot of things...like what laser they are going to use on you etc...it changes per person...

mine happens to be 3100 for both eyes (one eye is 1500 and the other is 1600)...this is a life time warrznty type deal. Meaning if I ever need adjustments when i turn 40,50,60,etc....it's free.

i'm using lasikplus becasue i had a friend use them also and he has had zero issues.

Ok, cool. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your procedure! :beer:

Dreddstang

Wing-Less Bastard!!
Established Member
Wow! I was thinking about putting up a post asking if anyone here knows about Lasik when I was on the way to work this morning!

This is all good info, though guys! I will definately be paying attention here! I have only worn glasses for about two years now, and I hate EVERY minute of it! I want to have this done! :thumbsup:

drillsergeantjra

THIS WE'LL DEFEND
Established Member
Dreddstang said:
Wow! I was thinking about putting up a post asking if anyone here knows about Lasik when I was on the way to work this morning!

This is all good info, though guys! I will definately be paying attention here! I have only worn glasses for about two years now, and I hate EVERY minute of it! I want to have this done! :thumbsup:

Maybe we should look into a group purchase!?!?

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread