Getting into a Raptor again, looking for some opinions about a Ford certified

dajohu

Established Member
I had a 2010 and I loved it. It was a mostly loaded scab 5.4l. Unfortunately I borrowed 100% and had a huge payment, so I only kept it a year and then sold it.

Now my situation has improved and I've been looking at getting a truck again. I started looking at regular F150's and then saw how used Raptors are "reasonably priced" and within my range I was looking at. I know if I don't get what I want, I will be doing this again in year looking for that "perfect" truck that I wished I bought. I've had enough new vehicles that brand new doesn't matter to me anymore at all. However I do want something reliable. Many of the lower priced ones are higher mileage (one near me was 120k!)

I found one a few grand more than the 2010's I was looking at, for a 2012 with comparable mileage (60k in this case). It happens to be a screw, loaded, color I want, and comes with some fancy extras I wouldn't get with a 2010 (front camera, cooled seats, few other small options). It also is a Ford certified pre-owned vehicle. Normally I don't really value warranties, but in the case of buying a used truck it does give me peace of mind.

So I'd be spending a little more than I wanted, but it seems like a good deal to me, for 2 years newer, scew instead of scab (36 gallon tank is all I really care about not the legroom or doors), more options, roughly the same mileage as the 2010's I was looking at, and a limited powertrain warranty until 100k.

Am I crazy?

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
The Raptors are really holding their value at this point. You need to weigh the truck (mileage, options, condition, etc.) against what the Ford warranty offers. Make sure to look at recurring problems with Raptors and determine if those issues have been addressed or do you see any of these issues? Plenty of information on the forums to look at. You can never do enough investigation. Are you crazy? Only you and your doctor can answer that! ;)

zsommer79

Established Member
I have owned Scab and Screw and thought the Scab was more fun to drive but with kids I have to have a Screw now. I would say try and find a 13 or newer as that's with they upgraded to the newer Nav/electronics and reinforced the rear frame a little.

Users who are viewing this thread