Getting a new midpipe but which one?

fastninja

Established Member
Fellas,

I wanna swap out my standard H-pipe for a X-pipe with cats but I have no idea if I need a short or a long midpipe. It´s probably a short I need but want to ask the pros before I order. Car is fitted with stock headers and a SLP LM2.

Short:
BBK-1538

Long:
BBK-1670

What can I expect regarding fitting with the BBK midpipe? Any gains to be had or do I need a tune afterwards to reap the full benefits?

I appreciate all input. Not a lot of Cobras in this part of the world so information is hard to come by :)

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
If you still have stock exhaust manifolds you'll need the 1670 mid-pipe. The 1538 is for long-tube headers and it's still an H-pipe.

Note that the 1670 is aluminized. Is your car your daily and, if so, do they salt roads in the winter? Going w/a stainless midpipe may be better in the long run.

Also, the pitch of the exhaust is going to change. H-pipes tend to have the lower growl and X-pipes are higher pitch. I do like the sounds of my Magnaflow w/cats. I'm pretty sure the exhaust thread has some H vs. X comparisons.

fastninja

Established Member
Great answer. Thanks. It´s a summer cruiser only so salt isn´t an issue. I´ll check out the exhaust thread as well. Any thoughts on power gains or is it same same?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
X pipes are too rasby and tinny sounding for my taste. I have the MAC 2.5" aluminized off road H on mine, still looks new after a decade.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Great answer. Thanks. It´s a summer cruiser only so salt isn´t an issue. I´ll check out the exhaust thread as well. Any thoughts on power gains or is it same same?

I think it's important to find an exhaust that you like the sound of. You're going to enjoy the sound a lot more than the power gains.

fastninja

Established Member
I agree. Sound is more relevant than gains. Too bad one has to make a decision based on youtube clips though :)

zPipes

Established Member
I have mac lt and mac o/r h, still stock catback but I had flowmaster delta 40's welded in place of the stock mufflers. Many compliments, I love it, low, throaty, old school mean. The only thing now is to add some cams to give it a little more lope sound lol. if you want that low rumbling wob wob wob, get hpipe, a lot of younger people like the racier sound of the x pipe. with cats, either effect will be slightly reduced, but same type of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread