General Tune Up Suggestions

Nbrac27

Established Member
Hey everyone,

I'm curious about some suggestions or ideas on general maintenance/tune up type work you all would recommend to do for our Terminators. Currently the car is sitting at 37.8k miles, I purchased it last march at 35k miles. So far heres my list of minor Upgrades I'm planning to do after Christmas along with tune up stuff.

-HR Race Springs (new alignment after)
-MGW Shifter
-Gauges (Doing the triple A Pillar but the only real important one is the wideband)
-Oil Change with Royal Purple (seems to be the consensus best for these cars after searching the forum? Anyone say otherwise?)
- Power Steering Flush and change with Royal Purple (starting to squeal on full turns of the wheel)
- Gates Green Belt (current one on the car looks rough)
- LMR Shifter Gasket
- LMR IRS Subframe Bolts

So far that's all I have, but am curious if anyone suggests anything else to do that would be smart while I'm doing one or multiple of the above things?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your list looks good. If you are still using the factory idlers, consider replacing them with billet idlers. Check my Terminator FAQs for more info on why. Link - Replace your factory idlers.
Browse through my FAQs and you might pick up on some other things to do over the winter.

What are your current mods? Not knowing what you have or don't have, I can make a couple of suggestions for winter mods. Do you have an aftermarket upper pulley or factory upper? If factory, I recommend you install a smaller pulley and get a tune. If you have the factory springs, I recommend you install lowering springs.

When were the plugs last changed? If you're not sure, you may as well change them.

Last edited:

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I’d add some camber caster plates and eccentric IRS bolts from FTBR so you can properly align the car to that list. Do you have stock rubber bushings in the IRS? Upgrade those along with a ford racing diff cover so you have the added strength and a proper seal. The stamped steel ones always leak even with low miles as yours. +1 on upgrading the stamped steel idlers. You can upgrade to 9/16ths front IRS bolts to help reduce the clunk. Oh also double check the axle nut torque, especially on the driver rear. Last 3 cobras I’ve worked on, the axle nut was loose. An dual Aeroforce gauges will serve you well as you can monitor AF and IAT. It can really save an engine. There’s plenty to do to these cars but money’s always a subject of concern. It’s very easy to fall down the rabbit hole with these cars and make them absolute gut pushing monsters! Careful out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nbrac27

Established Member
So right now what's done to the car is (mostly all came on in when it was bought)

-Upper Pulley (not sure what size and there seems to be no discernable markings on it but was told it isnt stock. I'm going to measure it to figure out the size but my gauge shows I'm pushing boost well past 10lbs so I assume its smaller)
-Aftermarket Idler
-O/R BBK X pipe
-Pypes Catback
-Some sort of aftermarket intake but like the pulley doesnt have any markings on it.
- SR Performance Caster Camber plates
- Unmarried SCT BDX Tuner waiting for a few more performance upgrades before getting a custom tune anand marrying it to the car.

I haven't changed the plugs since owning it so I'll definitely add that to the list, I know when I owned my STI, NGK Plugs were the way to go, is there a specific good brand for Termis? I also bought it from a Ford Dealer so I wasnt able to talk to the previous owner, so im not certain if the car is tuned however it runs great and doesnt throw any codes with the uncatted X so I assume it is?

I also hate that clunk so I'll definitely add those front IRS bolts thank you for that suggestion. I do have the stock rubber bushings as well so I'll look into better ones and that diff cover. I've seen that all over this site that upgrading the diff cover is a must.

I appreciate the feedback guys thank you!

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
NGK TR6’s are a go too. If the cars pulled and not tuned you may wanna stay out of boost until you know it’s safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

01yellercobra

Established Member
For an upper only I'd skip the gates green belt. A gatorback belt would be fine and less chance of chirping down the road. I think now it's a Continental Extreme or something like that.

For the squeal at the turn lock I'd check your inner belt. It might be slipping under the extra load.

I've ran NGK TR6 in my blown vehicles with no issues.

Nbrac27

Established Member
I'll look into that belt instead! As for not sure if its tuned or not is there anyway to check that at a shop or something?

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
All good advice said. Might want to change trans fluid too, I used Amsoil ATF and it shifts great

Don't neglect the cooling system either. I use M1EP 5w30 over R.P, can get 5qt jugs inexpensive on sale and after annual rebates.

HPLouis

Established Member
I was wondering if doing the trans fluid would be worth it or not. About how much would I need?

You know....I was wondering the same thing. I know it's worth is to change brake, engine and coolant. But what about tranny, diff, power steering and supercharger?

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Absolutely, all fluids. Trans takes 3.8qts iirc. I change the s/c oil annually as well with 10w-30 m1ep

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll sub and come back to the thread when I have more time

Skip the Royal Purple
Amsoil in the engine and trans wold be my pick. Change all fluids in the car
You can also do oil analysis at every oil change.
Including when you drop this old oil out that's currently in the car.

Try and keep it "simple". It is very hard to find a definant line in the sand and stopping point with these cars. But here is my $0.02

Compression Check
Tune Verification, OR, rewrite the tune by adding a few perf mods, JLT CAI, Throttle Body, O/R X Pipe, Etc
Caster Camber Plates
Lowering Springs
Solid Diff Mounts (get rid of cluck)
Reseal if need be the Diff Cover
Spark Plugs
Fuel Filter
Replace all OEM Idler pullies with Metco or whatever

Cooling (rewrite and verify tune after these additions)
Add a Heat Exchanger
170 deg Thermostat

You really don't NEED to change or do anything to the suspension just yet. And can still get it aligned. I did with the afore mentioned stuff. See what you like, and what you don't like. Than decide if you want to do poly bushings or a full FTBR delrin bushing kit. 98% of Cobra owners do not need the FTBR kit. I spent the money, wished I'd just gone poly. The kit and components are great, if, you really need and use them for their intended purpose

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread