General engine building question

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Okay this is for engine builders/machinist of svtp mainly; I have a project car I've been working on and while I had the block/rotating assembly at the machinist he mic'd and ordered bearings for the connecting rods and end caps. (piston rings where also ordered.) now the questions are:
1. should I recheck before assembly the clearances again. 2. for packing the rear main seal (rope type) is there any alternate seal or is that it? Pros/cons?

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
1970 Pontiac 400, the shop does all the machine work/rebuilds for a company I work for and almost never has any issues

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yes you want to check clearance on everything, especially the bearings. Not sure about the seal, but I'd switch to a one-piece if possible. I'm not a fan of rope seals, they leak if you look at them the wrong way.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Yes you want to check clearance on everything, especially the bearings. Not sure about the seal, but I'd switch to a one-piece if possible. I'm not a fan of rope seals, they leak if you look at them the wrong way.

Correct, looking at my notes that was taken by him and later from me, they are within factory stance, but it wtill makes me iffy. The seal I would love to go to a one piece but I have not seen much for pocho engines and updated seals

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
There is a company called BOP Engineering that makes a two-piece rear main made out of Viton instead of a rope style.

From what ive read, as long as you confirm that the two pieces are concentric this is a better seal than the rope style. If you have the whole motor apart for a rebuild, it shouldn't be a problem to check.

If you use a rope style, use one made of graphite.

Last edited:

Robert Francis

Established Member
You always check for specified clearances while assembling your engine. Checking parts spec's for fit and actual assembly where your stressing and stretching parts as you tighten bolts and nuts are two different things.

Users who are viewing this thread