Gen3 VMP TVS

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Is VMP only going to offer the GT500 throttle body option for Cobras?

So, you're saying the elbow used on the 2.3 will be used on the 2.65? That explains the markup on the elbow as well as the elbows being on backorder. Man......they seem awful greedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
So, you're saying the elbow used on the 2.3 will be used on the 2.65?

When VMP first released info on this blower for the Cobras they stated you can use same elbow and TB from 2.3 set ups. VMPs bread and butter is selling blowers, they make a lot of money off them. If it performs as everyone suspects then people will pay the premium.

I think the GT500 TB is going to handle what most of us throw at this blower. If a person is really wants more flow they could go with a Whipple crusher TB which has the same bolt pattern but a larger opening, although these TB's suck as far as quality.

I'm upgrading to a 123MM crusher intake to go with my 2.65 blower, but for most there MAF's are smaller than their TB blades.

That TB should be more than capable to flow the air that blower can move maxed out. 160mm would be a tad of an over kill for a 2.6L @ 6700rpms with a 2.6 upper and stock lower. You will have more issues with if the MAF can flow that, the air filter, the intake tube.

I hope your guys are right, I just feel like the Cobra crowd has been left out of all the big TVS upgrades over the years. Look at how much they have changed since the gen 1 TVS and the GT500 TB combo. They did the gen 2 upgrade which the cobra has a gen 2 version but it keeps the same inlet as gen 1. On other platforms with the gen 2 they received a bigger inlet and picked up good power. Then when they released the Gen 2R version....... still no love for the Cobra crowd. Gen 2R was an even bigger inlet which yielded even more power. The Gen 3s inlets are gigantic and will suck in small children.....lol... again the Cobra platform is still using the same ol gen 1 throttle body and plenum. I know im comparing it to other motors but its obvious these TVS rotor packs want as much air as possible.

Maybe they cant do the larger plenums and throttle bodies due to clearance issues, I honestly dont know. I really cant wait until some of you post up your results. Hopefully 800 WHP will be the norm when running E85, we shall see.

cj428mach

Established Member
Part of the reason the TVS is still running the Gen 1 inlet is because it came out later than the other blowers so it was already given a larger inlet to begin with. I have no doubts my GT500 TB will do what I need it to.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Part of the reason the TVS is still running the Gen 1 inlet is because it came out later than the other blowers so it was already given a larger inlet to begin with. I have no doubts my GT500 TB will do what I need it to.

You're sitting on a gold mine with that throttle body! Lol

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member

I just watched the release video Justin posted and he didnt give exact specs on the GT500 TB but said it was close to the 160mm available on other platforms. With that said its definitely larger than I thought it was and I think your car is going to be a monster! Good luck.

rymax101

Established Member
View attachment 1492518

VMP just raised the cost of the GT500 TB significantly. I’m guessing in anticipation of the additional 2.6 units that will be sold that will need one. Nasty move if you ask me.

The $799 price for that TB is making me sick, amber tail light price sick.

Glad I wasnt the only one that notice the price hike. It used to be 529.

GodStang

Established Member
Remember you can easily calculate the amount of air these blowers move at any given RPM. At 26psi it is moving less than 1800cfm and most people will not be running that much boost. The avg person will be running in the 18psi range which is well less than 1500cfm. The TB it comes with flows in the 1900-2000cfm range. By far not a concern. Also you get too big and you can have driveibilty issues. The TB they chose seems to be a perfect choice. Don't get your hopes up on 800whp as the norm as that is a long long shot. Would love to see every E85 car on the block with 800whp but knowing what it takes to get 800whp I don't think it will be there.

When VMP first released info on this blower for the Cobras they stated you can use same elbow and TB from 2.3 set ups. VMPs bread and butter is selling blowers, they make a lot of money off them. If it performs as everyone suspects then people will pay the premium.

I hope your guys are right, I just feel like the Cobra crowd has been left out of all the big TVS upgrades over the years. Look at how much they have changed since the gen 1 TVS and the GT500 TB combo. They did the gen 2 upgrade which the cobra has a gen 2 version but it keeps the same inlet as gen 1. On other platforms with the gen 2 they received a bigger inlet and picked up good power. Then when they released the Gen 2R version....... still no love for the Cobra crowd. Gen 2R was an even bigger inlet which yielded even more power. The Gen 3s inlets are gigantic and will suck in small children.....lol... again the Cobra platform is still using the same ol gen 1 throttle body and plenum. I know im comparing it to other motors but its obvious these TVS rotor packs want as much air as possible.

Maybe they cant do the larger plenums and throttle bodies due to clearance issues, I honestly dont know. I really cant wait until some of you post up your results. Hopefully 800 WHP will be the norm when running E85, we shall see.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Remember you can easily calculate the amount of air these blowers move at any given RPM. At 26psi it is moving less than 1800cfm and most people will not be running that much boost. The avg person will be running in the 18psi range which is well less than 1500cfm. The TB it comes with flows in the 1900-2000cfm range. By far not a concern. Also you get too big and you can have driveibilty issues. The TB they chose seems to be a perfect choice. Don't get your hopes up on 800whp as the norm as that is a long long shot. Would love to see every E85 car on the block with 800whp but knowing what it takes to get 800whp I don't think it will be there.

I'm looking for results at 22-24 on e85. Obviously there are other variables, but that is where I will be at some point. It should make plenty of power at that point. Will it see 800 wheel? I think that will depend on some other things. I'd like to think boost for boost that the 2.65 compared to the 2.3 would be 40-50 wheel higher. More than that would be great. If it is more efficient, in that it takes less power to turn it, those numbers could be a good bit higher. Time for some data to pick apart :)

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I dropped my car off to VMP yesterday for the 2.65 install.
Should have results soon!

You better post numbers, first impressions and first drive impressions before you shut the car off after your first drive. We are chomping at the bit here to see what this little 2.65 is all about!!!

Ontariomystic

Established Member
I just pre-ordered and paid for mine from Malcolmv8 here on the forum and secured a pre-sale deal. VMP goes live with sales tomorrow. Really excited for the results and to have one of the first ones. Hope to have them posted for you guys here soon.

What is the Pre-sale deal?

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
You better post numbers, first impressions and first drive impressions before you shut the car off after your first drive. We are chomping at the bit here to see what this little 2.65 is all about!!!

What sucks is I will be out of state working all next week!!

Users who are viewing this thread