Gen2R vs Ported Trinity

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Looking to make around 700rwhp on pump gas. The car is a 12 PP and is stock minus girls axel backs. At this power level is a clutch/driveshaft/rear end work needed? I'm roughly 3 hours from Denver Colorado so I'm also looking for reputable tuners nearby.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ive been going back and forth on this for some time. Realistically buying a used Trinity supercharger and having it ported/EGR deleted will only save you a few hundred from the Gen2R. If you elect to buy a new Trinity TVS, the cost is roughly even, but you still wait for whomever is doing your case mods to complete it. Gen2R is ready to go as it. To get your power goals you may have to run a smaller upper and overdrive lower. Youll have to run race fuel or convert to ethanol to run that safely.

Something else to consider here is the upcoming VMP Gen 3 based off the Eaton 2650 rotor pack. By all accounts the 2650 rotor pack is out of this world and is even more of a torque monster than the TVS 2300. Its larger displacement (less boost but higher flow) and rotor efficiency (less parasitic loss) may let you build the same power as a pullied Gen2R combo. If this holds true, you MAY be able to run premium Pump gas and hit 700 rwhp on mild boost.

Headers should be consider mandatory if your running a pullied Trinity or Gen2R to get that boost pressure down on pump gas. Race fuel/E85 if youre planning an overdrive and smaller upper.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ill revise my post. There is nothing in any manual anywhere that says you NEED to run long tubes with an upgraded blower. It will work just fine with the logs and cats.

What long tubes will do for the system is help drop overall boost pressure by a PSI or two while increasing overall flow into and out of the engine. Depending on the pulley combo and tune, it could be the difference between being able to run pump gas, or always need to mix up to a certain octane, or run full blown race fuel or have to convert to an ethanol system.

Im in a location where ethanol isn't widely available to make it a daily fuel. So, being able to drop my boost pressures is beneficial to power potential with a bigger supercharger and fuel availability.

Youll need to consult with your tuner and datalog, but it is a big help. They basically uncork your exhaust side gaining performance, dropping boost pressure and make it sounds amazing!

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
hmmm Ill have to check in with them on that. I am at sea level and will be running either a VMPR or a 2.9 whipple but wasn't going to do long tubes yet. I was going to run the normal pulley whipple sends out and for the VMP run the 2.5 I have off road x's but was going to run 93 with a BAP and 72lb injectors

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
With an off road X, 2.5 should be safe with 93. Its a little more critical for most of the western US that only has 91 on pump. Consulting with your tuner should be the be all end all for what you can safely run.

I used a 17v VMP BAP with 56lb injectors when I ran a Trinity TVS with no fueling issues. As far as driveability is concerned, the 56 may be better for your application.

If you ever plan on switching to ethanol, the Deatswerks 95lb or ID 1050X would be a worthwhile upgrade.

12boss302

Established Member
Looking to make around 700rwhp on pump gas. The car is a 12 PP and is stock minus girls axel backs. At this power level is a clutch/driveshaft/rear end work needed? I'm roughly 3 hours from Denver Colorado so I'm also looking for reputable tuners nearby.

Clutch and driveshaft recommended imho, rear end is not needed as of yet.

Question, when running a VMP GEN2R or a 2.9 Whipple on stock motor is it a mandatory thing to run longtubes?

Like stated, not “needed” but will help with dropping boost levels. I’m running long tubes and cams for that reason.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Im running a non ported Trinity TVS, stock exhaust manifolds and an off road x pipe into stock OTA 2.5 pipes and magnaflow mufflers. Car is also running 13/14 injectors and makes about 14.5 psi with the stock lower and stock upper pulleys.

Makes 643 whp on the Lund pump gas tune. I have a 2.4" BPS pulley that will be going on soon along with full 3" x-pipe back exhaust. These 2 mods should put me close to 675 or so.

Depending on how well the 3" exhaust works, I may never put headers on this car. Hell.. I might even pull the stock manifolds off and hand port them just to try something different.

Users who are viewing this thread