Gen 3 2.9 Whipple Crusher vs 4.0 crusher

mikevec87

Established Member
Hey guys I already ordered my gen 3 2.9 Whipple Crusher but I’ve been thinking about switching it out for the 4.0 my only concern was snapping the crank snout with the high compression motor. even though I upgraded to the 4340 Manley crank. Also was worried the 4.0 wouldn’t be as responsive.

My goal is 1000hp weekend track/street car

The Motor is a
Teksid 4.6 with MMR billet main caps
Manley billet hd I beams
Custom gibtec 10:5 pistons
Manley 4340 crank
Custom grind bullet cams
1mm over sized valves and springs
Lethal 1800hp fuel system
Id1300 injector dynamics
Arp 2000 everything
And all of the billet mmr timing chain parts .
1 7/8 kooks headers and stainelsworks 3” Catless full exhaust

So what would you do upgrade or stick with the 2.9 crusher

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

mikevec87

Established Member
With that engine you'll meet 1000hp with a 2.9.. Don't change anything. Heads ported?

Hey I moved this over to engine and tuning because I posted in the wrong section but that was the only thing I didn’t do but still could just didn’t know if it would be worth it I have dc 9 thread heads now

MalcolmV8

Established Member
You should easily get your goal with a 2.9 crusher with that motor. I had a similar built 10.5 CR motor and it made over 800 whp with a 2.3 TVS at 24 PSI and with the 2.9 crusher at 30 PSI was just crazy.

GodStang

Established Member
You talking 1000rw of Flywheel? What fuel do you plan on running? How much boost?

Hey guys I already ordered my gen 3 2.9 Whipple Crusher but I’ve been thinking about switching it out for the 4.0 my only concern was snapping the crank snout with the high compression motor. even though I upgraded to the 4340 Manley crank. Also was worried the 4.0 wouldn’t be as responsive.

My goal is 1000hp weekend track/street car

The Motor is a
Teksid 4.6 with MMR billet main caps
Manley billet hd I beams
Custom gibtec 10:5 pistons
Manley 4340 crank
Custom grind bullet cams
1mm over sized valves and springs
Lethal 1800hp fuel system
Id1300 injector dynamics
Arp 2000 everything
And all of the billet mmr timing chain parts .
1 7/8 kooks headers and stainelsworks 3” Catless full exhaust

So what would you do upgrade or stick with the 2.9 crusher

mikevec87

Established Member
You talking 1000rw of Flywheel? What fuel do you plan on running? How much boost?

1000 to the wheel with c85 for track days and E85 the rest of the time. As for boost as much as it takes I built the motor to handle what ever I can throw at it . There are a couple guys at 1000 with a built motor on the gen 2 2.9 crusher and a couple other guys are running the new gen 3 and are in the mid 800s with the stock long block on E85 . So after speaking to whipple yesterday they seem more than confident I can hit that 1000 mark with a built motor setup correctly and the gen 3 2.9 crusher so that’s what I’ll be sticking with

mikevec87

Established Member
You should easily get your goal with a 2.9 crusher with that motor. I had a similar built 10.5 CR motor and it made over 800 whp with a 2.3 TVS at 24 PSI and with the 2.9 crusher at 30 PSI was just crazy.

That’s awesome well the motor wouldn’t be where its at without your input and seeing all your trial and error haha so thanks man !

tarheels15

Established Member
Malcom uptop if im not mistaking also kept going through lower pulleys just to let you becuase you will need a lower pulley to push a ton of boost to make a 1000rwp. Better turn it up hard.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Malcom uptop if im not mistaking also kept going through lower pulleys just to let you becuase you will need a lower pulley to push a ton of boost to make a 1000rwp. Better turn it up hard.

Yup high compression and big blower = no go. The throttle response becomes very crisp and the RPMs wrap up and down very quickly and violently compare to stock with high CR. Spinning up and down a big blower so rapidly with a stick shift as you drive it hard just tears up those lower pulleys.

Users who are viewing this thread